1st Gen R53 Cooper S Small leak under car, next to oil pan - what is it?

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by minintrigue, Dec 2, 2010.

Tags:
  1. minintrigue

minintrigue Active Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Banker
    Cincinnati, OH
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Tonight I was changing my oil and when I was under the car I noticed an oily substance on the pan next to the oil pan. I'm not sure what it is but it looked like it was coming from one or both of the 15mm bolts that are inserted into the side/corners of the pan, facing the front, drivers wheel. Can anyone inform me what is leaking, how serious it is and what the fix would be? The car only has 46K on it and they're nearly all highway miles. I've also attached pics to help, although they're fairly poor. Thanks

Jim

P1040101.jpg P1040102.jpg

2. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Sometimes when the old filter element gets pulled during a filter change, there is a quantity of old oil that can run out and down the engine. Could this be some of what you might be seeing?

3. Gil-galad

Gil-galad Club Coordinator

May 19, 2009
    Male
    Decorah, IA
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    Being an '06, it's probably just about time for the crank sensor O-ring to have deteriorated to the point that oil will start blowing by. Gunks up the front of the block and pan, but seemingly never enough to drip or leave spots on the floor.

Very common 1st Gen issue. That's what I'd look at first.

4. minintrigue

Sep 30, 2009
    Banker
    Cincinnati, OH
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    I don't think so as the oil filter is on the other side, and rear of the engine.

5. minintrigue

Sep 30, 2009
    Banker
    Cincinnati, OH
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    How worried should I be on this? The little I read says not so much.

Also, I see you just had yours fixed, care to share the cost? Thanks

6. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    And the crank sensor is on the other end of the engine. That is the transmission side. All cars leak or rather seep a bit of oil. I'd recommend checking the trans fluid level. If it is OK I'd take a wait & see approach to it.

7. Ofioliti

Ofioliti New Member

May 9, 2009
    Professor
    ... always curious
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    I would guess that a couple more possibilities are the oil pan gasket or the rear main seal. You might want to look further up and around the engine with a good light to see where the oil is coming down from.

8. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    Correct, you can wait until there is a need to pull the front end. I've stopped my leak to have it return a few years later; now that I know where it's coming from it doesn't bother me. Your's however is more than just weeping.

The crank position sensor is located on the front of the engine below the water pump location. From the photo the oil doesn't appear to be dripping from the weep hole and bolt nearby, which would indicate a bad rear crank seal or transmission input seal. The fluid can be dabbed with a wipe and smelled to determine if it is gear box fluid or engine oil. There is a remote chance it could be from the supercharger's water pump drive. Remove the lower air dam/splash panel and have a look upward with a lamp or flashlight and mirror.

9. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Guessing that you have already inspected to see if the fluid is running down from some place else... With that I'd wipe it clean and run the engine while watching the area, if you don't see anything coming out then drive it for a bit and see if it has returned. If not drive it a day and inspect again.... You could also torque those bolts to spec in that area by backing them off and then torque back down... Then keep and eye on it to see if it returns... 2 cents

10. Friskie

Friskie Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    In the here and now, for now.
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    Am I mistaken or does that 'oil' look blue? I had a couple of blue drips on the garage floor and wound up having the thermostat houseing service. The service guy called it Smurf Juice. The brown oil is so spread around it could be from anywhere. minimark's idea makes a lot of sense but I'd still investigate that blue stuff.

11. minintrigue

Sep 30, 2009
    Banker
    Cincinnati, OH
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    #11 minintrigue, Dec 3, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
    I did look up above that to see if it was running down from anywhere and I didn't see anything amiss but will certainly check again more carefully. The thermostat housing was replace not quite 2 years (28K) ago but as for color, I would say it has a blue or green hue to it.

12. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Maybe you have a weep from the crank sensor that is being washed down by a leak in the water pump seal. That could explain a bluish oily tint. Check your coolant level, and try putting newspaper under the car overnight.

13. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Might inspect the drive shaft seal on that side, recently had to have one replaced and it was leaking down....

14. chikin

chikin New Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Its most deffinitely the crankshaft sensor o-ring. I am a Mini Technician and would most-definitely sell that to you in the shop. I would recommend removing the belly pan and inspecting further. It you see oil coming from above the pan then it is one of two things. The throttle tube gasket (green-between black throttle tube and supercharger-leak over time) or the crankshaft sensor o-ring. It's most commonly the o-ring. To fix the oil pan gasket is just over 4 hours and the same with the other repairs. Parts range from about 3.00 to 50.00 depending on the part replaced. Keep in mind that does not include oil if the oil pan gasket is replaced if deemed the cause(doesnt appear so in picture).

15. ColinGreene

ColinGreene Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

May 15, 2009
    Male
    Orange county Ca
    Ratings:
    +293 / 0 / -0
    Its the O ring im sure, if thats not it its the rear main seal.
    Pull the front end foward and check it out.
    The crank trigger is exactly where Khuevo said it is.

16. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
  17. minintrigue

Sep 30, 2009
    Banker
    Cincinnati, OH
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Thanks - great write up. Looking to do this when it gets a bit warmer and frankly a bit irritated I didn't tackle it the last time I was in service mode...

18. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    With the ratchet strap trick, it's easy enough to do without removing all of the stuff. It probably took less than an additional 30 minutes to do when doing an oil change.