1st Gen R53 Cooper S SMOG TESTING

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by Nitrominis, Aug 9, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    #1 Nitrominis, Aug 9, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2009

2. kmickey

kmickey New Member

Jun 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I had problems with an aftermarket header/cat that was going bad and failed smog. Eventually, the cat malfunctioned and plugged my exhaust.
    I put the stock header/cat back on and passed smog.

Here is the link over on NAM:
    MINI COOPER :: North American Motoring - Failed CA smog test today

The aftermarket CAI and Intercooler passed the visual.

I did not know that you have to have between 1/4 and 3/4 tank of gas to pass. I brought my car in on 1/8 tank. I had to go get the proper amount of fuel in the tank and come back to finish the smog test.

3. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    #3 Nitrominis, Aug 10, 2009

4. jiminni

jiminni Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    :yikes:.................:lol: So when you drivin over :ihih:

5. kmickey

kmickey New Member

Jun 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The test is called the Low-Pressure Fuel Evaporation Test ("LPFET").
    Isn't it for cars 1995 and older?
    I do not recall the tech hooking anything up to the fuel filler, just the fuel cap itself.

I think the tank level was because the smog 'puter indicated a "not ready" and needed to go through a drive cycle to clear this OBDII status.

This seems to make sense, what do you think?
    MINI COOPER :: North American Motoring - Drive cycle

"I am assuming your concern is that the EVAP Leak monitor has not run or is not in a ready state as reported by the OBD scan tool.

Generally the EVAP leak test will run first thing after a cold soak period (several hours with engine off).

However it will not run if the fuel level is 1/4 or less, or 3/4 or more the monitor is suspended.

When the monitor does run you can hear a clicking sound of the leak detection pump coming from the rear quarter panel."

6. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    #6 Nitrominis, Aug 10, 2009

7. kmickey

kmickey New Member

Jun 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I agree that "need more fuel before testing" is not a blanket requirement before a smog test.

This was just my experience and was hoping to add a data point to this thread, that it might be of interest and of value.

I think the "more fuel" had to do with the obdII drive cycle.
    My car did not fail smog because of the readiness monitors, it failed because of a hardware (cat) problem. I solved the hardware issue with a functioning cat. My car would not complete the obdII readiness monitor and could not complete the test. After getting fuel and driving the car, the obdII readiness monitor was cleared and the test was completed.

Do you think more information about obdII drive cycles on our MINIs would be helpful?

8. nabeshin

nabeshin New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Lincoln, NE
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    So, forgive my ignorance, MINIs with 15% pullies, exhausts, and tunes passed smog tests?

There is no smog testing here, but it would be nice to keep my car as is if I move somewhere with a smog test.

9. Richy1

Richy1 New Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Emmissions

I've been leasing flexibly eco cars, thus avoiding having to buy one and run on hp2's when I'm trying to overtake the Eddie's on the mtway!

Quadriga ECO Cars are under 120 G/KM in emissions. Since this accounts for 90% of your motoring, the overall carbon footprint is much lower than the average driver:Thumbsup:

Attached Files:

10. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    #10 Nitrominis, Aug 11, 2009

11. quikmni

quikmni Moderator

Jun 6, 2009
    Aerospace Engineer
    Orcutt, CA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    Many cars pass the CA Smog test with many modifications, especially if the mod is not easy to see. CAI are a usual fail because they are obvious. PCV breathers are another obvious visual fail. Pulley, injectors, and ECU changes will usually pass the test and not be flagged during the visual. Even headers will usually pass the visual unless someone looks hard or there are other visual flags, such as CAI, that make them look hard. If the car is moddified but running well, it will probably pass the test. The key is not to take the car into the smog inspection shop with obvious mods such as a CAI, which causes the inspector to look more closely at the car for visual failures.

12. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    #12 Nitrominis, Aug 11, 2009

13. Batrugger

Batrugger New Member

May 13, 2009
    Soldier
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    #13 Batrugger, Aug 11, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
    Kelli's car is a good example of how to pass the visual with a highly modded MINI in California. CARB is the reason that Kelli has a K&N Intake, which BTW is only CARB certified for the 02-04 MINIs. That along with the GP intercooler and the OEM heatshield to hide the RMW header means that there really is nothing that will visually make it fail. We had R56 JCW exhaust tips installed on the RMW exhaust so that it doesn't look non OEM. As far as emissions go, it burns cleaner than a stock MINI because it runs more efficiently. My Jetta unfortunately is going to be a problem:

IMG_7659.jpg

14. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    #14 Nitrominis, Aug 11, 2009
    [**

15. jiminni

jiminni Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    I have heard of some stations using mirrors to check cats. I was told all new cats are clearly marked now :( I am just going to remove my header and put the OEM back on. As also my CAI. And is not any, "cat-back" legal?

16. nabeshin

nabeshin New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Lincoln, NE
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I take it the Dinnan closed intake thing is ok? JCW is obviously ok, but what if the car was not a JCW from the factory? Do they check the VIN somehow and see that parts wouldn't match? i.e. the VIN turns up a non JCW car and I'd have a JCW part.

So if pcv breathers are bad, does that mean that OCC are not alright? Perhaps my aftermarket oil cooler would be seen as bad too.

17. Batrugger

Batrugger New Member

May 13, 2009
    Soldier
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    I took my Scirocco in not too long ago and they didn't do any snooping underneath. cat backs are supposed to be legal AFAIK if they fall under the allowed decibal range which is? The JCW tips are more to deter the LEOs from popping the hood and going over it with a fine tooth comb like has happened to two other MINI owners we know.

The shop wouldn't be able to tell a Dinan from a JCW from a regular intake, but a catch can may throw up a flag since it is a modification to the emissions system which in Ca is nich nich :nonod:

18. not-so-rednwhitecooper

Aug 5, 2009
    mechanic
    Chardon, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yikes. Remind me never to move to California.

19. quikmni

quikmni Moderator

Jun 6, 2009
    Aerospace Engineer
    Orcutt, CA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    It also depends on where you live in CA. Some counties within CA (such as Los Angeles) have much stricter smog inspection requirements than other counties. I live in Santa Barbara county and it is not too bad. Of course it also depends on the shop that you take your car for the smog inspection. I find that local gas stations that perform smog inspections are more lenient than Smog N Go type places.