Suspension Brakes 1st Gen Snapped my pinch bolt - Strut still won't release

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by papa-j, Nov 23, 2012.

1. papa-j

papa-j Active Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Mar 15, 2010
    (Retired) EHS & Quality Systems
    Minneapolis, MN
    Ratings:
    +112 / 0 / -0
    Hi folks. Need your advice.

2004 R53. What am I up to? Got mushrooming towers. Trying to install some Ireland Engineering fixed camber plates.
    I am following the helpful spring replacement how-to from the Library.

Two issues I need help on.
    1. I have snapped the left side pinch bolt's head off. :eek6: What are good ways to get the bolt's remains out of the carrier? Also I hope to prevent snapping the ride side bolt so will appreciate your thoughts on this too. It isn't budging... (BTW - I used my trusty PB blaster ahead of time (overnight). I also tried my electric impact wrench to no avail.)

2. The left side strut still won't release. :mad2: Even with the bolt snapped, jacked up strut per the how-to, PB Blaster soaked overnight, and whacked with my dead blow hammer. It just sits there and laughs in my general direction. I think it was squeezed way too hard so is still pinched.

Whoever tightened these musta been a damn gorilla with an 8 foot wrench...60 lb-ft these are NOT...

Anyone with successful experience recovering from this fail mode?

2. jasonsmf

jasonsmf Active Member

Jun 12, 2009
    engineer
    Elyria, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    The pinch bolt goes thru a tab on the strut itself, so even with the head snapped off the remains of the bolt are probably holding things together. When I went thru this, it wasn't due to over tightening on the install as much as it was due to the threads rusting solid. You are probably going to have to very very carefully drill the bolt out. Not a fun job :(

3. papa-j

papa-j Active Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Mar 15, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Ratings:
    +112 / 0 / -0
    Drilling out - ah nuts...
    Thanks for the quick reply.

4. Herleman

Herleman New Member

May 25, 2010
    Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    Or give Way a call to see if he has a used hub carrier for sale.

5. papa-j

papa-j Active Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Mar 15, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Ratings:
    +112 / 0 / -0
    update

It is corrosion at the root of it all. The pinch design allows plenty of crud to backfill in the passage and corrode over time.

I have the LH strut hanging free after hours of difficulties. Had to drill both sides of the broken fastener and sawzall on both sides of the pinch zone. What a pita.

I am off to get more drill bits, sawz-all blades and propane (for garage heat) so I can have a go at the RH side tomorrow...since it is as likely to break as not.

Good thing this car is so fun to drive!

6. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Please get and use some anti-seize when putting it back together. Save a lot of problems next time.;)

7. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Plasma cutter time.

8. papa-j

papa-j Active Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Mar 15, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Ratings:
    +112 / 0 / -0
    yeah, more tools!

No plasma cutter, but now I have a gift idea :biggrin5:

As far as never-sneeze goes, totally agree :Thumbsup:. I always use it. Living with Minnesota weather and salted roads makes it a must. All my underside Previa fasteners come off easy because of it (after their first time).

This yucko task is gratus the handi-work of original owner/mechanic coupled with my ignorance of the designer's optimization "choice" (drip path into a blind hole on exposed suspension). Live and learn.

9. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Have you tried the CRC freeze off penetrant, I've had some success with it before?

10. papa-j

papa-j Active Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Mar 15, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Ratings:
    +112 / 0 / -0
    I have not tried CRC freeze off. I am a PB Blaster zealot. I will look at adding the freeze off to the arsenal tomorrow. Thanks for the tip.

11. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Welcome and good luck!

12. THE ITCH

THE ITCH New Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    After you have removed the pinch bolt, and are still having difficulty, you can try using a spreader in the slot. If you do not have a real one sometimes a 1/4 extension will work.
    Steve

13. papa-j

papa-j Active Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Mar 15, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Ratings:
    +112 / 0 / -0
    The right hand side has released without breaking the bolt! Repeated cycles of MAP torch, Impact wrench in both directions and PB blaster did the trick. Now on to finishing the LH mess and do the mushroom smackdown + camber plates as originally planned.

Thanks for the support folks. Hopefully no more unplanned work on this small project.

14. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Good job! Now you have to post pictures or it did not happen. Hahahaha

15. papa-j

papa-j Active Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Mar 15, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Ratings:
    +112 / 0 / -0
    A pic...attached is a shot of the mounts that were in there. Not flat at all :nonod:.... I flattened the towers successfully today which feels like progress.

I also got the RH stuff all together (yes, with never seize). Just need to torque to spec. It's satisfying to get that side in good shape.

The LH carrier has me vexed. I guess I will need to pull it and buy a replacement or have a machine shop work it (or else throw the thing in the lake).

The drilling won't go through :confused5:. Probably less than 1/4" remaining but no further progress is being made except adding to the collection of dead bits (amateur at the helm :eek:) Pretty sure there is a piece of cobalt drill bit buried in the center which is stopping my progress from both sides. So close...

Oh well, progress is being made. Little by little, and bit by bit <ha ha>

Attached Files:

16. yellowbritishrocket

yellowbritishrocket Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Ratings:
    +277 / 0 / -0
    something also to consider and ive done this before myself and that is putting a light coat of anti-seize on the bottom of the strut around where there is metal-to-metal contact...keeps the crap out and provides a barrier...

17. papa-j

papa-j Active Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Mar 15, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Ratings:
    +112 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the advice. I used a light coat of Fluid Film on those surfaces for that purpose.

Picked up a replacement carrier today and hope to have time after work this week to finish the job.