So, Today This Happened.....

Discussion in 'Classic Mini' started by Minidave, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Just noticed.....looks like I may have had an exhaust leak from the center pipe at the head - strange cause I never heard anything and the gasket doesn't look like it's leaking, but the evidence is sure there on the back of the valve cover....if not exhaust, what else could it be that would make that pattern?
    IMG_20210414_172721R.jpg

This engine also had one of the high torque starters on it - I don't know why given that it appears to be a stock engine - but these don't fit in these newer cars very well because the engine sits 1/2" further forward, and the starter solenoid is sitting forward rather than on top of the starter. In this one it looks like either this bracket was modified or broken and repaired. either way it's broken now, so I'll have to make a small patch. The starter was also rubbing against either this bracket or the front lip of the grill opening - I'm hopeful that was one of the rattles I was chasing and could never find.

IMG_20210414_172127R.jpg
    IMG_20210414_172136R.jpg

I'll use the stock starter that was on the SPi engine when I put it in the car.

2. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    A little heat from the acetylene torch and the pipes came right apart!

Next up, clean up the engine bay before I drop the motor back in.....

3. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    My buddy Don came over and we broke out the acetylene torch and once we got them cherry red the pipes came apart easily - for those who might try this at home, I really doubt you can get them hot enough with either propane or map gas - but an oxy/acetylene WILL do the trick! I'll clean everything up with a wire brush in the angle grinder and use some sealer when I put them back together. I broke two of the three bolts in the band clamps, so I'll have to replace those - they use a carriage head bolt but I'll just tack weld in some regular ones.

IMG_20210416_101151R.jpg

I also needed to get the nut loose on the oil pipe that goes to the filter housing, I find this a lot where it wants to twist the pipe instead of rotating on the pipe as you try to take it loose. Once again, getting it good and red will do the trick, then I can slide the nut up the pipe and wire brush under it so it spins freely. I always add a little oil in there but over time I guess it rusts again.

I think I've had my torch setup since about 1968, I remember using it on my first Mini too!

IMG_20210416_095424R.jpg

The other job I have to do is try to rinse out the heater core, like all Minis the water that came out of this thing was just nasty brown goop. The SPi engine seems pretty clean, it had nice green anti freeze in it. The radiator rinse out easily so the only thing left is the heater core. I'll probably just run water in it on the Texas trip since cold nights won't be a factor, then flush it good when I get home again.....if I have time I'll flush it here before I leave too.

The radiator core is absolutely black with oily residue, so I'll need to clean it thoroughly too....

IMG_20210416_101200R.jpg

4. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    I wonder if there is a crack in the exhaust pipe that is leaking? That wouldn't show up as a gasket leak.

5. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    You mean at the head? Could be, but you usually hear those, especially when the engine is cold and I never heard anything. I have another header - new - but it's a single pipe exit instead of a dual, I would have to cut and weld up a short pipe to the one under the car.....I'll check the pipes carefully before I bolt it back on.....I'll take a flat file to the flange also and make sure it's not warped.

6. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Well, I found my exhaust leak - not only that, I now know why I always smelled exhaust anytime the windows were open.....the header is split right in the valley of the Y, all the way around and down both sides. Although it's odd that there wasn't any exhaust stain on the pipes.

IMG_20210416_191948R.jpg

So, I got out the Mig welder, only to find out that I had left the gas valve open and the tank was empty.

So, I drug the acetylene welder up from the basement again, but the only tip retaining nut I had was the cutting torch tip which was too big for this, so I'm dead in the water till Monday when I can get the gas refilled and/or a nut to attach one of my acetylene tips that will fit my torch.

IMG_20210416_200517R.jpg

My backup plan is that I have another header, but it's a single pipe instead of a double, but I have a straight pipe connector too so I have everything I need to go that way if necessary.

But before I did any of that I took a file to the center pipe flange and flatted it off.

IMG_20210416_191611R.jpg
    IMG_20210416_191623R.jpg

it's always sumthin....but it's nice to figure out the problem

7. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    I decided to just use the new header.

More good news, DHL says they're delivering my clutch today rather than Tues as I feared. We'll see if it happens.....but that would be great if it does!

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Well, I decided to go ahead and use the new header I have on hand anyway....I'll weld up the old one and use it on the engine stand.

Got some good news today - DHL delivered my clutch! I've never had them deliver on a Sat before, so that gives me a jump start on getting the engine back in the car and maybe a couple more days of drive time to sort out anything that comes up.

IMG_20210417_123031R.jpg

I've already got the clutch and flywheel installed, and the new clutch arm and all installed too, so the back end is pretty much buttoned up. I also got the water pump on,, so the front end is done too. I'm going to go thru the valve adjustment again as it's much easier to do on the bench than on the lift, then install the new pot joints and she'll be ready to drop in once I clean up the axles.

IMG_20210417_134352R.jpg

IMG_20210417_141249R.jpg

I also need to get the collector off the pipe under the car, I hope I don't have to fire up the torch again to get it off but if I do it's already upstairs at least.

I still have a lot of parts to clean up before I can put them back on the engine - me and Edd China don't see eye to eye on putting dirty parts back on an engine.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  9. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    I may have cleared up yet another issue with this car.....the front end has always had an odd intermittent wobble, between 45 and 55 mph, above that it pretty much went away. I bought a new set of pot joints for this SPi engine as I knew that my outer joints were good as I had them apart a while ago and repacked them with grease but I did not do anything then with the pot joints.

The new pot joints are made slightly differently than the old ones, in how the boot attaches, there is a sleeve inside - so when you replace them all you do is make sure the splines are clean and greased and the circlip is good on the end, then pop them on - the new ones already have boots installed and are packed with grease too.

So, back to the green car, when I went to remove the inner part of the old pot joint I found one almost siezed - it had been leaking engine oil into the joint too, which is probably what killed it as it waters down the grease to barely more than the oil. I had to cut the inner part off as it was rusted to the splines, the other one was fine and drove right off the way it should.

So, with new smooth inner joints I'm hopeful that at last I'll have a Mini that drives normally!
    [​IMG]

10. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Alrighty then, while on the bench I replaced the shift shaft seal, the two axle seals and the pot joints. I also decided to reuse the mechanical fuel pump as it was working fine - but that meant I had to make a couple of gaskets as I didn't have any for it.

With that all done it was time to lift it into the car.....I had to set it at an extreme angle to get it to clear the brake booster and it was a bit of a challenge getting it down into place, but it finally went in and I got the motor mounts bolted up.

IMG_20210418_163224R.jpg

IMG_20210418_164151R.jpg

IMG_20210418_173838R.jpg

Still lots to do of course, but I hope to have it running and driving on Tuesday so I can put some miles on it before heading to Texas next weekend.

I decided to go ahead and use the new single pipe header I already have rather than attempt to weld up the old one - even tho I'm sure I can do it - I don't have any weld gas, and they really don't like you to carry it home in your car - it makes a hell of a mess when one blows up in a car!

To that end I did have to get the torch fired up again so I could get the twin pipe collector off the main pipe - it took a LOT of heating before I got it loose, but it came off in the end. Never could have gotten it off without the torch.

I'm done for tonight, and I have PT tomorrow so I won't get back to it till afternoon again. Still a lot of parts to clean up before they go back on, and darn it if I didn't forget to put the speedo cable on while it was easily accessible! Oh well, as long as the radiator is out of the way it's do-able.

Sure is bright in there!

11. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    That was the kind of leak I was suggesting. Had one on my old Scirocco, couldn't really hear it, but could smell it.

12. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    #112 Minidave, Apr 20, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
    Got a lot more done in the short time I had to work today - we bought a new fridge and it was delivered today. It's amazing to me just how much disruption happens to the house for a simple appliance installation and removal, but not only does the old fridge need to be emptied, furniture has to be moved to allow things to pass.

At any rate - it's here - it's installed - it's making water, ice and just plain cold air - so far so good. Happy wife, happy life.

I got a few things done, the exhaust is in and tight, the shifter is in and working, a number of little things installed like the starter, distributor, oil pressure switch and line, alternator and a bunch of small parts. Tonight after dinner I may get a few more things done, then after PT tomorrow I'll try and finish it up so I can start putting some miles on it and make sure everything works correctly.

IMG_20210420_213632R.jpg

Still have to clean the radiator and some other small parts, then start hooking up the wiring.

I also need to make a decision about the intake and carb. The one I was using worked perfectly fine, it's just dirty and will take a lot of clean up. The one I use in my engine stand works fine and is new looking so should bolt right on and run fine. Should....

13. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    I also need to make a decision about the intake and carb. The one I was using worked perfectly fine, it's just dirty and will take a lot of clean up.

Dave....
    I picked up a 10L ultrasonic cleaner on Ebay earlier this year...
    I've used it to clean the carburetor on my generator and the lawnmower...
    I use the Harbor Freight degreaser... Works great...
    It might make your life a little easier on some of the grubby parts...

Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 8.29.00 PM.png

14. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,036 / 6 / -5
    That’s a heck of a good price.

15. Flash Brasbo

Flash Brasbo New Member

Apr 18, 2021
    Male
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Very nice!

16. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Obligatory everything's in photo.

IMG_20210421_205912R.jpg

What you can't see is that I haven't got the axles in yet.

Had a strange thing happen, I changed out the thermostat housing and put the SPi one back in - and it leaked like a sieve! I took it back off and found a series of six nibs sticking out of the bottom part where the gasket goes....I had used one of the modern thick cardboard gaskets and clearly it was stiff enough that those nibs couldn't push thru. I also remember that it had a cork gasket when I took it off. Not taking any chances, I filed off the nibs and used a cork gasket anyway!

That sealed it up and it's good and dry now.

Oh, and I can't find the bracket that connects the top of the radiator to the thermostat housing, SPi's use a specific bracket, different from the others and I had one, just can't find it now.

I cranked it up and it fired up but died - and now I can't get the fuel pump to prime, so tomorrow I'll syringe some fuel into the float chamber so it can start and I can set the timing while it's running, then hopefully the extra RPM will get the pump working again.

In the meantime I need to install the axles and front suspension, then she's pretty much finished, ready to drive. This won't leave me much time for testing before I head out early Saturday morning.

17. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    All back together, now I just have to get it to run......but first, someone tell me the obvious thing wring in this picture!

IMG_20210422_122259R.jpg

Tires rotated, aired up, brakes all checked and good.

IMG_20210422_144730R.jpg

18. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,036 / 6 / -5
    Steering rack boot is torn ??

19. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009