1st Gen JCW Softer JCW Suspension - Sometimes

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by quikmni, Mar 19, 2012.

1. SMOG

SMOG ZOOOOOMMMM
    Lifetime Supporter

Nov 28, 2009
    Retired, twice...
    Port Orchard, Washington
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    :lol::lol::lol::lol:

2. Blainestang

Blainestang New Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    How about you save a bunch of money and just get some padding for your wife's seat? :D

3. RussWK

RussWK Active Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    We took 5,000 mile trip last summer (Oregon to Indiana and back). 2006 R52 MCS. 205x45x17 regular tires. KONI FSD made all the difference.

OEM shocks are very unforgiving on patchy pavement and potholes. FSD have an extra spring-loaded internal oil port that allows the wheel to move, but then closes and still controls body roll better than OEM. So you get the best of both worlds - smooth ride and good cornering. Now, patchy pavement, potholes and RR tracks are nothing.

My wife said the Mini is much more comfortable for her than our Buick Park Avenue Ultra. So now all trips are taken in the Mini. How about that?

4. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: Don't change the suspension, change the driver. Let her drive and you ride shotgun/navigator. She'll have so much fun driving that she'll forget about the suspension.:Thumbsup:

Jason

5. SMOG

SMOG ZOOOOOMMMM
    Lifetime Supporter

Nov 28, 2009
    Retired, twice...
    Port Orchard, Washington
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    That is a great endorsement for FSD's!!

6. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Swift springs for the win, the wife has been much happier since I installed mine!

....and me too, cause it handles so much better!!!:cool:

7. KittyMini

KittyMini Club Coordinator

Jun 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,183 / 0 / -0
    On a HARLEY? That's practically a couch!
    Hell, I used to ride on long trips on the back of my hubby's crotch rocket!
    Sounds like you did the right thing :lol:

8. Soap

Soap New Member

Mar 18, 2012
    CFO of Elgersma Inc, my 8month old is the CEO!
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I agree with what has been said about the FSD's. i have heard nothing but great things about them. i dont have any personal experience with them though.
    I do know from personal experience that the KW V2 that you originally talked about are AWESOME! :drool:drool I would put those on any car that I buy. I did not have them on a JCW or R56 or even a Mini for the matter but I will swer by those any day of my life.
    thats my $0.02. I just dont have experience to go off for suspension with the mini yet.

9. ronnie948

ronnie948 New Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Retired
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Hi, KittyMini

The Harley was a full dresser. It even had genuine leather seat and nice leather backrest for her to lean on. A nice stereo and wind protection. It actually did ride smoother then the Mini Factory JCW I have now. I rode to California three times from Florida on it not counting trips to Mexico & Canada. I put 140,000 trouble free miles on that bike and the only problem I had was trying to get the smile off of my face.

The Mini has a short wheelbase and will never ride smooth on some roads. It's not a flaw, It is just a fact of life.

It is just something you have to accept or else get a Countryman. The new two door countryman (WAS PACEMAN) looks great and will ride much smoother.
    :beer

10. KittyMini

KittyMini Club Coordinator

Jun 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,183 / 0 / -0
    Hell, it even had a sissy bar? Damn.....

I had to lean forward and hold myself up on the gas tank the entire trip. Storage was whatever you could fit in your backpack!

For the record- I love the feel of the road in the MINI :Thumbsup:

11. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    #31 Metalman, Mar 23, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
    For what it's worth.... My fJCW has the Sport dampers and oem springs..... Just recently got a set of Swift Spec-R springs and will be installing IE fixed camber plates (maybe this weekend). Should result in a mild 1/2" drop. I'll let you know how it rides. Unfortunately I'm still on the Continental Run flats, so I'll see a further improvement in ride once they get replaced.....:D

[​IMG][/IMG]

12. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    metalman you got these installed yet?

13. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Yeah..... Loving them....
    Also went with the Fixed IE camber plates, Hsport Rear Camembert err camber links (love that cheese on water crackers with a Riesling). Also a DT front and rear performance alignment by the Chad himself.... The MINI handles and looks a lot better with the resulting drop..... Even my wift said it rides better..... Win, Win, Win.....:D

Here's a "today" pic....
    [​IMG]