Some MINI Models May Be on Chopping Block

Discussion in 'MINIs in Other Media' started by Nathan, Apr 4, 2013.

1. B.A.D.

B.A.D. Club Coordinator

Dec 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +934 / 0 / -0
    I tend to agree with you. I actually like the idea of a JCW Countryman, but the price point seems too high for what you are getting.

2. Gizmo

Gizmo New Member

May 22, 2012
    Graphic Design Student/Airport Office Assistant
    Flemington, NJ
    Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -0
    Yup... that's the unfortunate part. MINI is making the cars WAY too expensive.

The other unfortunate part is that people will still buy them for that price so then MINI has no reason to re-evaluate the cost.

3. wingnut135

wingnut135 New Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Aircraft Electrician, USAF
    Abilene, TX
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    The Clubman was the reason I bought a MINI. Go kart that'll hold two kids in the back, and the wife thinks its completely impractical. The Clubman body style has history with MINI. Dump the Coupe and Roadster, I don't feel that they really fit in the lineup anyway. Or the Countryman. Or the Paceman.

4. silky

silky New Member

Oct 12, 2009
    Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    Yeah they are expensive. But the alternatives are the CRV, RAV4 etc. and they aren't as good.

5. Gizmo

Gizmo New Member

May 22, 2012
    Flemington, NJ
    Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -0
    Nissan Juke I think is more of an alternative to the CM, they are about the same size. Juke MSRP is $20,280 - $26,940.

I find this whole statement by Jim McDowell interesting as MINI has stated in the past how they will have many more models see the following article: MINI & BMW to Dramatically Expand Small Car Offerings | BimmerFile

"Surprisingly, this even includes a MINI four door sedan. According to those who’ve seen the proposal, it’s an extremely attractive car that leverages the MINI floating roof and wrap-around glass. Apparently, the rear is similar to the Paceman, with sculpted front lines reminiscent of the 2008 MINI Crossover Concept." The looks like the picture I just posted.

6. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    The fact that nobody cares enough about the vert to even comment on it, while there have been umpteem additional posts about the certainly-marginalized-and-likely-to-be-killed Clubman, proves my point. The four seat Mini convertible is a goner.

:cryin:

7. Gizmo

Gizmo New Member

May 22, 2012
    Flemington, NJ
    Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -0
    I'm not too sure about that, mainly because it is based on the Hardtop. I feel like MINI will keep at least one convertible style.

8. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I'd guess the sales numbers would dictate which one gets the ax. Is the roadster outselling the vert? If I was a betting man I'd bet a donut or two on the vert going away. Probably to me replaced by the JCW Countryguy vert. :wink:

Take car of your vert Paul. They are endangered.

9. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I hope they get ride of the BIG MINI's and just keep things mini.

Bigger is not always better. Clubbie gone, Paceman cya, and that big ugly surbarban looking 4x4 Monster Mini Countryman should be dropped or made into the new BMW X3.

Keep MINI mini!

10. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    Hey... I mentioned it! :D

And if anything, I think that they would keep the 4-seater and move the 2-seat production to allow more of the 2-seat hard-tops. Kinda depends on the numbers.

11. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, but the R52/R57 has always been a car of many compromises, and it's a pretty serious modification / bastardization of the hardtop. The Roadster is MUCH more closely aligned to the Coupe IMO, and makes much more sense in the model lineup.

Don't get me wrong - for those of us who 1) MUST have a MINI, 2) MUST have a convertible, and 3) MUST have 4 seats, the convertible is must-have (obviously)... but there just plain ain't a lot of us, and the sales numbers back that up: 4813 'verts sold in the US in 2012, out of 102,250 total MINIs - less than 5% of total sales. 2371 roadsters sold in a partial year with limited visibility and availability, compared to the verts. YTD through March 2013, 719 verts vs. 982 a year ago (down 26.8%), 655 Roadsters sold so far this year. I expect Roadsters to outsell verts this year. With some of the "cute" car buyers who were originally drawn to Mini now having 4 seat convertible options from VW and Fiat, Game over.

Makes me sad, but it is what it is. I really, really wanted a next gen MINI convertible with an awesome new engine and transmission. Oh, well.

12. B.A.D.

B.A.D. Club Coordinator

Dec 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +934 / 0 / -0
    Here is my opinion, the Coupe/Roadster are just as out of sync with Mini heritage as the Countryman/Paceman. At least the Clubman is similar to the Austin Mini Van/Traveller. With that said, I say axe the Roadster (which is my least favorite variant) and kill the Paceman. I am curious to see what a sedan version would look like, would it be a modern 4 door version of a Riley Elf?

All I know is that there seems to be more owners that consider their MINI as just a car then there are those of us that post in all the various MINI forums. I'm fine with that as long as MINI continues to make variants that are still fun to drive for the rest of us.

13. Gizmo

Gizmo New Member

May 22, 2012
    Flemington, NJ
    Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -0
    Part of why they are making so many models is the connection with BMW, I think. X1, X3, X5, X6, now the smaller version of the X6...the X4, they will have series of every number, GT models, etc. etc. And that mindset has definitely seeped into MINI HQ.

They are over-engineering things again....

14. LostDenverite

LostDenverite New Member

Jul 24, 2012
    C3M Territory
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Er?!? The Clubvan/man was an original mini. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365416936.197901.jpg

So how can you say to get rid of it now and "keep MINI mini"?!?

And BTW, they will keep the new bigger vehicles. The market surveys they did prior told them folks in the USA wanted make-believe SUVs, and now the results confirm it. All of the hoopla around the "MINI community" don't mean squat back at corporate compared to the hoopla that is raised around the sales/profits/$$$ from selling bigger vehicles in the US.

As I stated earlier, the Clubman meets *my* needs, just as all of my previous non-MINI vehicles did. If by the time my current MINI goes the way of all flesh and MINI doesn't offer a vehicle that meets *my* needs, sadly or not, then I will move on.

But your wish that they produce nothing but the smallest of MINIS...maybe you should consider a FIAT.

15. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
  16. LostDenverite

LostDenverite New Member

Jul 24, 2012
    C3M Territory
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    There it is, Mickey Mouse Mathematics. They'll be keeping their 4-door version and probably expanding on it.

I don't think the Paceman has gotten enough exposure/marketing to take off, but I would think the sales of that to increase over the year.

17. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    They'll made what ever they can using BMW platforms and parts. That way they spread the cost over two brands.

I don't think they really care what us enthusiasts want. For example: We really don't all the nanny electronics, but the next version is loaded with them, driving up the price. Someplace they have been told they need that stuff in the car. Since they will have it in the BMW the MINI will have it to.

18. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    MINI has lost their way the same way BMW has. Jumbo MINI's are $elling. More electronic toys & nannies means more money too.

It's all about milking the cash cow. :yesnod: Enthusiast's be damned. :rolleyes5:

[​IMG]

19. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    As long as they continue to make a model that I enjoy driving I will stay with the brand. I would suspect that the Porsche enthusiasts are also up in arms with the wacked out models that they have introduced over the past few years as well....but they will continue running Porsches as long as they continue to make a rear engine hot rod. I'm MOTORING ON....

20. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I'll do what many Porsche & BMW folks do. Search for a garage queen of the proper model when the need arises, they are out there waiting. :biggrin5:- :fingerscrossed:

Motor on indeed! :biggrin5: