Soooooo Whatcha Eating?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Metalman, Mar 20, 2010.

1. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,976 / 6 / -5
    Wowzer.......and I thought I had lived a sheltered life. :)

2. TATTRAT

TATTRAT Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Executive Chef
    NoVA/DC
    Ratings:
    +474 / 0 / -0
    The grape jelly in the sauce meatballs is actually really good, great for any gathering. I learned about them when I was a kid and even back then was a little wtf? on the idea. Bu tit works, and works wonderfully.

Snowy dreary day, yesterday. Had a bunch of leftover bread, so bread pudding was made. White Chocolate & Blueberry Bread Pudding, it got finished with Makers Mark Creme Anglaise

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Sully

Sully Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Uh... that looks awesome. Would love the recipe for the!

4. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    You’ve heard of texmex.. what about cajunmex breakfast.... this is chorizo (Mexican not Spanish), boudin hash, egg, cilantro, onion, crumbled cheese..

2D7463C0-0C46-4943-806F-AB53E7CAB2E7.jpeg

3CA117C3-FEA9-4BA3-8E92-7C9B87377731.jpeg

Final... awesome!
    EF1BA7FD-943B-4BBC-8AB6-3E8976A143FC.jpeg
    If your good with spicy wake up.. yum, yum...

5. caseydog

caseydog Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    #1765 caseydog, Feb 18, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
    Cuban roast pork, Dutch Oven style.

One bone-in pork butt, about 6 to 8 pounds

Marinade

1/4 cup minced garlic (yes, 1/4 cup)

2 Tbs kosher salt

2 Tsp dried oregano (rub between your hands to release the flavor)

1 Tsp course black pepper

1 average size yellow onion, finely diced

2/3 cup freshly squeezed orange juice

1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice

1/3 cup freshly squeezed lime juice

2/3 cup olive oil

Mix up your marinade (I do it in a blender), and cut deep slits into your pork butt. Put the butt and marinade into a plastic bag, squeeze out as much air as possible, and let it sit in the fridge overnight.

Slice an onion into thick slices, and arrange them on the bottom of a enameled cast-iron dutch oven (or something similar with a tight fitting lid). If you use a non-coated dutch oven, you could hurt your seasoning with the acids in the marinade. Put the butt on top of the sliced onions.

Put the DO in the oven at 250-275 for as long as it takes to become fork tender. It took mine about five hours. Pork butt is hard to overcook, so err on the long side, not the short side. A fork should slide into the meat "like butta'"

CD

6. caseydog

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    I am not a dessert fanatic, in general, but I love bread pudding with a good whiskey sauce. I have "digestive issues" with blueberries, so I'd have to leave those out. I'm sure your bread pudding would be awesome even without the berries.

CD

7. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Ok- that sounds great. I’m going to give that a shot.. 1st round will be just as you described. Second round will be in my green egg.. put it in Dutch oven top open with smoke for ~45 minutes.. rest covered (top on)... can’t wait. Thanks for sharing!

8. caseydog

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    Oh, oh, I forgot to mention that for the last hour, after the meat is fork tender, I take the lid off of the DO to get some browning happening in the oven.

I have actually cooked this on a Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker, so your BGE will work fine, but on an 8 pound pork butt, the charcoal/wood doesn't impart a significant amount of flavor. If you use your BGE, I would smoke the meat uncovered for the first hour, and cover for the rest of the cook. After the first hour, a pork butt is not going to take on any significant smoke flavor. After the meat is fork tender, you can uncover it to brown up.

CD

9. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    @caseydog - you and I are going to get along fine. :Thumbsup: I can see you know your way around a kitchen and smoker. You passively expressed you know your stuff... and you are correct. When smoking BBQ the first 45 minutes is “key” to both the flavor and smoke ring. When you ran this on the Smokey Mountain, did the “smoke” add flavor or not? Would you do it again? Technically a Cuban sandwich doesn’t haves smoke flavor. I was thinking I would play with it... appears you already have. Specifically I was thinking apply wood or pecan (sweet and a little smoke flavor). Give it a little twist. My 3rd round (depending on how round 2 goes was tabasco wood. I.e. wood from the barrels. That ads a bit of a unique flavor. Plus I would add a little tobasco mash (dried) to the rub.. just a little, not to much. :). Again just playing with different flavors. If you like flavor and/or spice (yes you can do both) and don’t know mash.. let me know and I’ll send you some with instructions. Its quite unique and can provide some interesting results.. not only on meat but also on veggies, rubs etc. For example:
    Corn - Fresh off the cob
    Cast iron skillet... hot (I do it on my outside grill)
    Butter, cilantro, red onion, garlic, Tabasco mash (lite), Kosher salt, fresh cracked pepper
    Once skillet is hot, pour in the mixture above.. cook till crisp but not “done”. Want it to be fresh and keep the flavor.
    Server hot and immediately. I always do this last while steaks or BBQ rest..

10. caseydog

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0

Wow, that is a lot to absorb into my attention limited brain.

Yes, I do know my way around a kitchen... and grills and smokers.

Kitchen2017.jpg

Webbers.jpg

So, I would love to cook with you, if the opportunity comes up.

My experience with pork butt is that a big cut of it just doesn't soak up much smoke. If you cut it into 2-ish inch chunks, it soaks up smoke a lot better. For Cuban roast pork, it is the marinade that provides the flavor, so the ease of using an oven works as well as any other cooking method, IMO.

As for smoking wood, pecan is too subtle for big cuts of meat. I do like it on ribs, but prefer apple. Apple is one that I really like on pork, but not on beef. I like oak and/or hickory on beef. That is a Texas staple wood for smoking beef. But, pecan is a wood I always have on hand, when I just want a gentle kiss of smoke.

I have to be honest, I have never heard of Tabasco wood. Is that a hardwood used for barrels to age Tabasco peppers? It sounds very intriguing.

I also love to grill veggies, when they are in season. Grilled corn and grilled peppers are amazing. The fire really brings out the sweetness. And, yes, I would love to know how you make this "mash" that you mentioned.

CD

11. BlwnAway

BlwnAway Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    Ratings:
    +314 / 0 / -0
    The basic recipe (just Google it) calls for grape jelly and chili sauce, slightly spicy but sticky & sweet at the same time, not to mention just thrown in a slow cooker.
    Actually really good.

12. caseydog

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    Meat-n-potatoes at the doghouse today.

I hickory-smoked a meatloaf with on the Weber Kettle. Oven roasted red potatoes and broccoli on the side. No gravy, no sauce, just wonderful smokey, meaty goodness.

Meatloaf001.jpg

CD

13. vetsvette

vetsvette MINI Alliance Ambassador

Nov 9, 2013
    South Central Virginia
    Ratings:
    +1,937 / 0 / -0
    Couple deviled ham sandwiches with swiss cheese and pickled vidalia onions. Didn't feel like putting a lot of effort in dinner tonight. I did grill a two pound New York strip last night. Went well with fried peaches.

14. TATTRAT

Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Executive Chef
    NoVA/DC
    Ratings:
    +474 / 0 / -0
    I need to get back on track, just been so busy! Stuff looks great, All!

15. caseydog

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    I know the feeling. That smoked meatloaf was the first thing I really had a whole day off to prepare and cook, while working in my garden when not in the kitchen.

Hey, have you ever smoked a meatloaf? It is amazingly good -- nothing like mom made for a cheap dinner. I use a 50/50 mix of ground chuck and ground pork. It only smokes for an hour or so at around 350F, but absorbs smoke like a sponge. I've tried all the woods, and hickory is the best, by far, IMO.

You form a loaf, and put it on the grate with no pan to soak up the smoke.

MeatloafSmoking.jpg

CD

16. vetsvette

vetsvette MINI Alliance Ambassador

Nov 9, 2013
    South Central Virginia
    Ratings:
    +1,937 / 0 / -0
    #1776 vetsvette, Mar 19, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    Well, tonight I'm having a Little Ceasers Pizza. But, earlier today my Son called to tell me my birthday present is gonna be really early this year. He ordered a Wagyu sirloin strip steak for me. I'm excited. Haven't had Wagyu/real Kobe beef since Tokyo in ~ 1970. IIRC a 4-5 ounce steak was around $50-60. That was a big chunk of my paycheck so I never had it again. Something about food for the wife and son IIRC. Anyway, when I get this I will definitely take pictures. There is an art to cooking these because the marbling starts to break down at 77ºF. Consequently, it is recommended they be thawed in the refrigerator.

wagyu

Image 3-19-18 at 21.36.jpg

17. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    I really like smoked cheese. You have to cold smoke it or it will melt.

I made a cold smoker out of a one quart paint can, I burned the coating inside of the can off with a propane torch and drilled 1/4" holes in one side of it, as well as a hole to insert a thirty watt soldering iron in the bottom of the can near the edge, opposite the holes drilled in the can's side. Then I filled the can with hickory wood chips and put the lid on. I used a new soldering iron, so there would be no lead residue on the tip.

I put it inside of my barbeque and put a chunk of mozzarella and a chunk of mild cheddar over it on the rack and plugged it in. Wow, it worked! I have to try it on some salmon now.

There were some unburned wood chips in the can after it stopped smoking, I may try wood pellets for a pellet smoker the next time.

18. TATTRAT

Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Executive Chef
    NoVA/DC
    Ratings:
    +474 / 0 / -0

For sure, it's one of my faves. We used to do a bomb out of it, stuff with shredded cheddar, jalapenos, onion, wrap in bacon then smoke that bugger up. It made THE BEST sandwiched the day after.

19. TATTRAT

Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Executive Chef
    NoVA/DC
    Ratings:
    +474 / 0 / -0
    Your son is a good egg. Enjoy the heck out of that!

20. caseydog

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0

I made that same cold smoker for cheese, except for the can. I used a quart size tomato can. I use it when it is cold enough outside to keep the cheese cold while it smokes, and it works perfectly.

CD