1. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    It is OK to "speed"! Bad laws are bad laws and I will not follow them.

Most speed limits are set with no regard for scientific traffic safety studies. Governments just shoot from the hip when setting speed limits, they are more concerned with revenue than safe, efficient movement of traffic.

I have a radar detector and will soon be getting a laser shifter. I also fight every ticket I receive and beat most of them.

A great ticket fighting resource is the National Motorists Association, National Motorists Association Website

The NMA also lobbies the government to change poorly thought out traffic laws and are responsible for the repeal of the 55 mph national speed limit. I think that every automobile enthusiast should be a member of the NMA and support their work.

Dave

2. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Police sitting on the side of the road writing tickets for folks 5 over are not Police they are revenuers nothing more nothing less. With all the crime in this country sitting on the side of the road to make money from motorists is flat wrong. To the policemans defence they are being told what to by their superiors, who were told to do it by their superiors.

Disclaimer: I have family & friends who are in law enforcement. They tell me you'd have to be pretty stupid for them to write you up for speed.

I'm not going to lie & say I don't speed. On occasion I do.

Minidave I do agree with you on this point. The track is the place to hang it out not the road.

:popcorn:

3. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    :yesnod:

4. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Well for me and me alone I speed and it's a decision I make for myself and don't ask anyone to do as I do.

I am a safe driver and I am careful but if I am on a wide open road I do as I please and I do run WOT. If I get caught I pull over, I am polite and respectful, I take my ticket and pay the fine.

My V1 radar detector helps me eliminate getting pulled over on long boring road trips to MOTD or NYC.

Do I think I am I above the law, no but I am free to make my own decisions and will continue to do so while driving my car.

5. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Should have been running a Valentine V1.

Don't tell me they are illegal in Virginia I know, but so is speeding.:ihih:

6. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    #30 Crashton, Aug 17, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
    Minidave, I'm not advocating anyone break the law & drive over the limit. That is their personal choice & up to each driver. We are all adults that know where we can safely exceed the speed limit. No one here is going to do that in an area where it is unsafe to do so.

Drunk driver's should lose their license & their car. Nothing worse IMHO. That's something different than speeding.

I'm calling BS on all of this I never speed stuff. You sure are coming off as a holier than thou person. I'm putting my soap box away I suggest you do the same.

7. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Ok I have a quick question.

You know those signs that have radar in them that post your speed is.... And flash if it's over the posted limit?

Has anyone else tried to get them to show 100 when they only display 2 numbers? :ihih:

FYI they don't show 99 they just flash - - Ask me how I know? :ihih::lol:

America is a free country and I can speed all I want if I want to. The result is just a fine in most states. For everyone that does not want to speed just stay in the right hand lane and worry about yourself.

8. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0

Yep right lane for toddling along. There seems to be a group that wants to police the speed limit by themselves. They hog up the road & camp in the left lane next to another like minded individual. I call them the Anti-Destination League & really despise them. Me thinks they are more dangerous that those moving along at a good clip.

Oh & I liked before I always drive 5 below the limit in the left lane if I can.

My apologies damned soap box got caught in my slippers. :eek:

9. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    Oh yeah, I know those signs!

[​IMG]

:lol:

10. maacodale

maacodale Club Coordinator

May 7, 2009
    Maaco Collision Repair & Auto Painting Center owne
    Poquoson, VA
    Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    A little late to the discussion here, but I was in court a while back, testifying as a witness, not on trial myself. The judge was blasting out this girl for speeding and driving without a license FOR THE 3RD TIME! He flat out told her "Any cop in the city will tell you, the given speed of any road is 10 mph over the posted limit. And that most cops won't even look at you if you're going less than 10 over". Unfortunately, this idiot was going 18 over, WITHOUT a license! She was sentenced to 4 weekends in jail.

Like to old saying goes, "9 over, you're fine, 10 over, you're mine"!

11. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    I thought a great deal about what you wrote, and I have to say I'm surprised at what you said - and I think you need to rethink your statement. While I would agree that not every speed limit is set according to the best scientific principals and engineering studies, (what community could afford to do that for every single speed limit ?) I find most of them to pretty well match prevailing local conditions of traffic flow, sightlines and weather conditions. Yes, a Ferrari 458 Italia could traverse the same road safely at much higher rates of speed, but so what? 99.99999% of drivers are not that skilled nor do they drive 458's! Nor does that take into account the effect of one or more cars traveling the same roads at much greater speeds. So why have speed limits at all? Everyone should drive as fast as they like and woe betide the driver who gets in their way? Is that it?

I also find your attitude disturbing - selfish and shortsighted, not just because you would espouse civil disobedience in a public forum, but that it seems more and more to be the prevailing attitude amongst all drivers - stop signs are more of a suggestion than a rule, right turn on red after stop? a memory - now you just drive thru and don't even bother to check to see if someone (who is moving with the light and has the right of way) is coming and might be affected by your sudden appearance in their lane. It's the same with speed rules, especially in urban areas, they seem to be a joke to many drivers these days. Courtesy on the road? Piffle! "I'm on my way and you all better move" seems to be the new way.

So if you're not going to follow speed rules, are the rest of the rules of the road out the window too? Are we all to merely move out of your way and allow you to pass thru? Is that how it works?

Traffic laws are enacted to allow orderly and safe travel for all motorists, and when a few drivers think the rules don't apply to them, the system quickly breaks down and there is chaos on the roads - the best examples I can show of this are all those Russian dash cam vids - that's what you're supporting with your comments. By your logic, 55 in a school zone must be OK too?

I'm not suggesting that everyone is perfect - I'm certainly not - tho I generally do follow speed limits and I always try to signal my turns - I do not run red lights or stop signs and I try to make the roads safe for all drivers, not just me, while getting to my destination quickly too. I save my fast driving for track events.

But to come onto a forum and suggest that it's OK to ignore all speed limit signs (and by extension all the other rules of the road) is wrong - IMHO. I'll ask you to reconsider your position.

It's not about you - it's about all of us.

12. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Pony rides at the dragon. You're going to need a saddle Dave. :smilewinkgrin:

13. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Someone going 90 in a 55 well it is their business. Unless they are endangering other's. Going 90 in a 55 does not automatically endanger others. Depends on the time, place & weather conditions along with how much or little traffic there was. Yes it is against the law, but not always dangerous other than to ones wallet & driving record.

While I bust the speed limit on occasion that kind of speed sees me on the track.

You are going to have to get over what other's say & do. It's getting you all worked up & nothing you pound out on your keyboard is going to change it.

Sorry damned soap box got me again. :eek:

14. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4

Hahaha but that has 3 numbers. Try that on the 2 digit ones.

By the way I have done double the posted on 81 N&S in Virginia and the posted # was above 55. :devil: 3 and 4 in the morning are great times to run WOT.

I have also been pulled over in Virginia for doing 92 in a 65. The Trooper was cool and he chewed me out and gave me a ticket and sent me on my way.

People just need to quit crying about what others do and worry about themselves.

15. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    "Anyone that drives slower than you is a$$ hole any that drives faster than you is a maniac" George Carlin

16. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I was pulled in Virginia for doing 91 in a 70 when I did not have my V1.
    Ok truth be told I was racing a Mustang on 81 south heading down to the Dragon and I was passing him on the right going up a hill on a wide open highway.

We blew right threw a speed trap and I pulled over as soon as I saw him turn his lights on. (The Mustang kept going)
    Since I had my FOP information and was not an a55hole he wrote me up for 75 in a 70. :Thumbsup:

The Mustang ran and was picked off at well over 100 and arrested about 5 miles down the road. :lol:

FYI the whole country is not 55 MPH anymore most states allow 70 MPH.

17. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    MA - saving the world, one Internet at a time :)

18. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I am not taking anyone side. I make my own decisions and answer to me.

Please keep me out of any argument, I was just posting about me.

19. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    ^^^^^^^ dam I don't remember Dave being so cute:lol::lol:

20. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    Wow...that thing looks like how I felt the morning after smoking Welshmans cigars and drinking the draft beer at the Miniskirts party at the Dragon this year.