Speeding in Virginia

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by B.A.D., Aug 4, 2014.

1. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Well for me and me alone I speed and it's a decision I make for myself and don't ask anyone to do as I do.

I am a safe driver and I am careful but if I am on a wide open road I do as I please and I do run WOT. If I get caught I pull over, I am polite and respectful, I take my ticket and pay the fine.

My V1 radar detector helps me eliminate getting pulled over on long boring road trips to MOTD or NYC.

Do I think I am I above the law, no but I am free to make my own decisions and will continue to do so while driving my car.

2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Ok Minidave, Dneprdave, Dave.0…….the battle of the Daves!:D

I see your point Minidave but I believe you are going to the extreme. Certainly I and others would agree with you taken to the point you state. But That is not what is being said. Let me give you an example.

In my home town there is a road that is 6 lanes, 3 north 3 south. The northern end the limit is 45 the middle and majority of it is 50 the south part is 35. I live in a town thats a suburb of Memphis but we are not part of memphis we are a separate town with our own police force, several are close friends. This is the portion is 45. There is not much on this portion and the traffic is low. Most people do the limit or 5 over. Once you get in to Memphis proper the limit is 50. This is where the mall is and lots of traffic and business. Most of the time there is no way to do 50 because of the traffic. I even agree it is to fast on this portion. No one speeds here, most do about 40 ten under. On the south end is another town that is a suburb. The traffic is lighter here but the limit is 35!! why? Because they love to wright tickets! They will hit you for 5 over in the middle of the night with no one around!! This town is known for it. I went to court for a 5 over ticket. It was packet most were nailed for 5 over! I call BS on that one. Even worse there was a doctor there he was on the way to St.Jude children's hospital to do an emergency surgery, yes time was a factor. The cop not only wrote him a ticket but purposely delayed him! Give me a BRAKE!!! Cities that do this and Cops that would go along with this behavior do not deserve my respect. It is a pleasure to blow through there at a proper rate.

I would never speed in a school zone or some where where it is unsafe. But a speed trap is not honorable and I believe this is what we mean.

I can give other examples. This is just my 2cents worth. :eek:

3. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    Minidave in 2016!

4. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    Who is calling anyone names? Not me.

I don't have to do engineering studies, they have already been done and I've read them.

You don't seem to think that people can exercise self control, without a specific law, so sad.

I ignore speed laws that are proven to be bad, by studies that I have read. Sure, it's a judgment call but what isn't?

If you haven't looked at the National Motorists Association site you should, it'll open your eyes.

Dave

5. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I am not taking anyone side. I make my own decisions and answer to me.

Please keep me out of any argument, I was just posting about me.

6. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Police sitting on the side of the road writing tickets for folks 5 over are not Police they are revenuers nothing more nothing less. With all the crime in this country sitting on the side of the road to make money from motorists is flat wrong. To the policemans defence they are being told what to by their superiors, who were told to do it by their superiors.

Disclaimer: I have family & friends who are in law enforcement. They tell me you'd have to be pretty stupid for them to write you up for speed.

I'm not going to lie & say I don't speed. On occasion I do.

Minidave I do agree with you on this point. The track is the place to hang it out not the road.

:popcorn:

7. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Yes Crashton is correct, the track is the place for high speed driving. I also am not taking sides I'm trying to point out they are both valid points.
    The limit is the law and Police have an obligation to pull over if your are speeding. It is also a good tool to catch those that are up to no good.
    I guess my post sounded harsh I did mean for it to sound that way.
    On the road I described the town to the north has very tough cops and everyone know not to speed there. But the limits are with in reason and the Police are fair. The town to the south the limits are way to low on all the roads and the cops are not fair, by in large, some are.

Sorry Dave.0 I was not trying to get you in to a battle. But that was very diplomatic of you have you ever thought of running for office? Pres. Dave, now that is what we need! :lol::lol:

8. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Wanna know how to eliminate speed traps?

If no one sped thru them it would no longer be financially or politically viable for them to exist. :idea:

If Goober and Barney sat there all day waiting for a speeder and no one did, eventually it would go away.

Same thing with drunk driver check points - if no one drank and drove, there would be no justification for them.

I know these are utopian ideals, but just think how much money could be saved by demilitarizing our police forces and eliminating speed traps everywhere. Of course, the resulting drop in revenue would be a problem too as so many cities count on them.

Since you all are into the math, ever do the sums to see how much time you save tearing around town breaking the law vs just relaxing and cruising along at or near the speed limit? it amounts to nothing.

So the only justification you can offer besides the laughable "bad laws" defense is that you wanna......DDave says I think people can't exercise self control with out a law - I never said anything of the sort, if anything I'm campaigning for the opposite, for people like him and Dave O to exercise self control and not decide that the laws don't apply to them.

And that's my point - trying to justify speeding is laughable unless it's an absolute emergency, and even then the time saved is so miniscule as to hardly warrant the extra danger imposed by the speed differential DDave mentions. So quote whomever you want, the truth is like Dave O says, you do it because you want to and you think you're entitled, nothing else.

I feel the same way about police screaming thru town - it's ridiculous. Which is more dangerous, the guy doing 5 over the limit or the cop car going 100+ to catch up to him?

9. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Used to work making computers run fast!
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    All interesting points, some I agree, some not so much.

My view 5 over sometimes, 20 over not so much. In the city not at all. To many kids, pets and stupid people walking into the street on the phone, texting, eating, etc.....

If I do I pay my fine, sometimes the long lonely mountain roads get some high speed runs, but then a deer or elk will get you. ;)

Don

10. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    #30 Crashton, Aug 17, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
    Minidave, I'm not advocating anyone break the law & drive over the limit. That is their personal choice & up to each driver. We are all adults that know where we can safely exceed the speed limit. No one here is going to do that in an area where it is unsafe to do so.

Drunk driver's should lose their license & their car. Nothing worse IMHO. That's something different than speeding.

I'm calling BS on all of this I never speed stuff. You sure are coming off as a holier than thou person. I'm putting my soap box away I suggest you do the same.

11. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Ok let's all drive the speed limit. :cornut:

[ame=http://youtu.be/OoETMCosULQ]55: A Meditation on the Speed Limit - YouTube[/ame]

12. Savvy

Savvy Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Apr 16, 2010
    Mechanical Engineer/DA Civilian
    DE
    Ratings:
    +2,024 / 0 / -0
    of course you were posting about yourself. You self-centered....
    [​IMG]

:postcount

13. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    ^^^^^^^ dam I don't remember Dave being so cute:lol::lol:

14. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Pony rides at the dragon. You're going to need a saddle Dave. :smilewinkgrin:

15. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    Wow...that thing looks like how I felt the morning after smoking Welshmans cigars and drinking the draft beer at the Miniskirts party at the Dragon this year.

16. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    I'm not riding Dave!!!:yikes:

17. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Ok I have a quick question.

You know those signs that have radar in them that post your speed is.... And flash if it's over the posted limit?

Has anyone else tried to get them to show 100 when they only display 2 numbers? :ihih:

FYI they don't show 99 they just flash - - Ask me how I know? :ihih::lol:

America is a free country and I can speed all I want if I want to. The result is just a fine in most states. For everyone that does not want to speed just stay in the right hand lane and worry about yourself.

18. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0

Yep right lane for toddling along. There seems to be a group that wants to police the speed limit by themselves. They hog up the road & camp in the left lane next to another like minded individual. I call them the Anti-Destination League & really despise them. Me thinks they are more dangerous that those moving along at a good clip.

Oh & I liked before I always drive 5 below the limit in the left lane if I can.

My apologies damned soap box got caught in my slippers. :eek:

19. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Not at all, I'm not perfect, nor do I claim to be....

But if you remember this thread was started by a guy who got a ticket for going 90 in a 55......justify that!

And then others came in and talked like they think that's fine as long as you don't get caught.

Then others piped up that they speed whenever and wherever they want.....as long as they pay the fines it's their problem.

Then DDave came in and said he speeds because the laws are bad.

None of those are defensible positions IMHO.

I recognize that folks do it, and my position is "cool it" on the road, and take your need to speed to the track. I also feel I work way too hard for my money to give to the police benevolent foundation.

That's all......

20. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    I think it's telling that in the video the kids cause a traffic jam just by doing the 55 limit. This was tried by the highway patrol in California when I was a kid. They had an officer with a big sign on the back of his car that said 55 and he drove 55. It caused such a big jam they stopped it after two days. It was all over the news.

So once agin lets do the limit.:cornut: