1st Gen R53 Cooper S Spent $3000.00 and the car runs like crap!!

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by Thumper460, Nov 14, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    United States Navy ..Retired
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Whoa..... that got your attention, yes??

It is imperative that before you do ANY Mods..... ANY mods!! PAY to have the engine checked out!!

IF you are happy as a clam, with no codes or lights... it means NOTHING!!!!

IF you have a high mileage car.. or it is over 4-5 years old, CHECK IT !!

Just the basics are better than finding out you have bad rings, or a bad Valve, or ign ect.. after you spent the money to make it go fast!!

I would suggest the engine gets a Compression Test!! Then a 'WET' compression test next... then IF there are any low cylinders, have a 'leak down' test done to help localize the problem!!

122-128-150-150 dry

181-151-169-180 wet

24-23-19-16 leak down

and this car 'had NO noticeable issues' !!

Just a thought to help out a bit...

Just me..............................

Thumper

2. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Very good advise. :Thumbsup: That is not followed very often.

3. AliceCooper

AliceCooper Club Coordinator

Mar 13, 2010
    CT Technologist
    South Florida
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    Sounds like someone must have bought a new Thumper head and are now trying to blame some engine failure on it ??

4. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Not really.. I have been involved with quite a few Q&A from people that have moded their cars, and then had issues!! Heads.. Cams... Headers.. even changing pulleys.. !! And they claim there were no 'noticeable' issues befor the mod. There are a few shops NOW, that will suggest the check out befor any mods, and some dont.

And it seemed to me that a lot of people dont realize that these issues are beginning to appear more often as the car gets a bit older and more miles, and has been driven hard.

Just a heads up for future 'fun'..... and we all need to know!! yes??

Just me...................................

Thumper

5. nabeshin

nabeshin New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Lincoln, NE
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Would it be good to get compression tests and a leak down test on a car I've owned since new with 80,090 miles in 8 years? Been maintained religiously.

I installed an intake at 17,000 an oil cooler at 20,000, a pulley at 28,000 miles, and an RMW tune at 58,000. Besides some suspension, brake stuff, and replacement parts, the car is otherwise mechanically untouched.

No signs of anything wrong except occasional valve train chatter when cold. Oil level is stable since last change for the first time in car's life. Coolant can boil over onto the headers sometime, but it has been flushed professionally and a new thermostat installed.

6. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    IF you are thinking of getting into the engine components.. Head.. Camshaft.. or a major change to the exhaust, YES I would suggest at the min having the shop do a compression test!! There are a lot of shops that have learned over the years, and they will probably ask for a "pre-Mod" test anyway!! It really is for the customers sake!!

Just me....................................

Thumper