Exterior 1st Gen Splitter

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by cct1, Jul 3, 2013.

Tags:
  1. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Splitter from RMW. I had a previous splitter, attached to the lower fascia with turnbuckles, and bottom fascia with bolts, and it tore out at 135 MPH.

So basically for the track, I wanted something a bit more anchored, and this definitely is.

First pic is with splitter and brackets, next with brackets installed--it's an easy install, take the bumper off, and they attach to one bolt on the crush tube, and two underneath on the subframe, next pic splitter installed, and lastly, bumper back on.

The bolts are aluminum, so the splitter will tear off before the brackets, if something bad were to happen. It's anchored solid--I could easily put a 100 pounds on it no problem, and I'm betting I could stand on it, but I'm not going that far.

The splitter itself is thick, about 3/4 of an inch, and relatively heavy--it's a solid piece. It requires a small amount of trimming for the GP bumper (which is what's on my car now), a bit more for the stock R53 bumper. It sits low--this will go into storage in the winter, and back on for the track--I wouldn't buy it for cosmetics (although it's very nice looking), although if your car isn't lowered it would probably be fine.

But I bought it for function, and it helps big time. The car is much more composed on the track--even on long straights, instead of bouncing, it settles down nicely. I can carry substantially more speed through high speed sweepers, and carousels--but it's not just that, the car is more composed; it FEELS like I'm going slower through the turn, then I look at the speedometer to double check to make sure I'm dogging it, and lap data, and I'm going quite a bit faster. There is no drama, the car just sticks and goes. I have a video on the RMW site showing the difference coming up the front straight at Road America, and going through turn 1.

Attached Files:

2. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Thread is in wrong section, should be under first gen, that's what happens when you get old....

3. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Moved.

4. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Awesome pictures and write up.:Thumbsup:

5. M^Cubed

M^Cubed Member

May 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Looks nice! Is it the same splitter that Group4 is selling?

It looks like you need to cut notches out in the bumper cover for the brackets correct? Also trim off the part that hangs down on the bumper so the splitter will sit flush.

Would like to see an under car photo if you get a chance!

6. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4

No it is not the G4 splitter it is 100 times better and for real race cars.

7. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    The group 4 splitter is the one this replaced; it tore out at speed. IF you go with the group 4 AND you are on tracks hitting high speeds, you'll need to anchor it differently than what they recommend. But I'd still go with the RMW splitter over the Group 4 if you're after function--the group 4 splitter flexes, this one is absolutely rock solid stable. If it's just cosmetics you're after, the Group 4 is fine and does look nice. But if you're using it on the track, the RMW splitter is better hands down.

You do need to cut two notches in the bumper cover, and the part that hangs down (which I'd already done for the group 4 anyway), takes maybe 5 minutes or less with a dremel.

Next time I get the car up I'll take a picture underneath. But it's like adding a skid plate underneath, a nice bonus.

8. M^Cubed

M^Cubed Member

May 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the information. Can you tell us the cost or PM me the cost?

Thanks.

9. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    #9 cct1, Jul 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
    Call Jan at RMW; to be honest, I don't remember the cost--bought it last year, installed it this year, as I was waiting on a GP front bumper and brake ducts before installing everything.

I know Jan had one left in stock as of earlier this week.

I'll put some video up at Road America before/after splitter when I get a chance, to give you and idea of what it does--it's very noticeable in the car, and you can see it in the video as well.

EDIT:

Here is video the last time out before the splitter--looks like I'm on a trampoline coming up from 14 to 1; also, cresting the hill, the car lifts--with the splitter it compresses, very noticeable.

[ame="http://youtu.be/tmeGijfTqiM"]Road America PCA Session 2 - YouTube[/ame]

And here is the video after. The car shots aren't the same, but the bouncing is substantially less, the car is sitting down. Toward the end of the straight I quit accelerating on purpose, I was working on entry speed into 1, trying to figure out what I could do, more than top speed on the front straight. I can take turn one much faster than before, and get on the throttle sooner, but it actually FEELS slower, there is no drama, the car just sticks and goes.

[ame="http://youtu.be/9MU29EuKBsc"]RA Turn 1 - YouTube[/ame]