+3,863 / 0 / -1
    JCW Fixed Spoiler...FTW

3. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I'm sure one of you vendors will come up with a "spoiler pre-heater" that will solve the problem. :Thumbsup:

Jim

4. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    I have a complete spoiler module for sale from my Coupe if you need parts or the whole assembly from when I replaced it with this. [​IMG]
    JCW fixed spoiler FTW

5. Angib

Angib New Member

Nov 25, 2009
    (Old) England
    Ratings:
    +425 / 0 / -0
    #8 Angib, Feb 2, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
    I had this happen in my Roadster and the bonging does drive you nearly mad. Particularly as it won't stop if you slow down below "spoiler-speed" or even stop altogether. If you stop and switch off the ignition, it doesn't start again - until you drive off when it continues, even if you don't go over 50.

And the warnings on the Visual Boost screen are dire - I felt the "you will be struck by a thunderbolt if you drive anywhere" was a bit excessive.....

I confirm that it causes no problem - once the spoiler un-freezes, it works fine and all the warnings go away.

I think spoiler behaviour may not be the same in all cars/countries but in my car if I put the spoiler up manually when stationary, it stays up forever until I manually put it down, so that's one way round the problem, as long as I know to do it in advance - and don't mind looking like a ****head for having the spoiler permanently up.

6. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Cool, looks like some of MM's work. :D

Jim

7. ChicagoRus

ChicagoRus New Member

Jul 12, 2012
    IT
    Lombard, Il
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Just wanted to post a quick update. We've had two major snowfalls and lots of just below and just above freezing. No problems at all. In computer terminology, I'd say - It Burped!

I'm feeling better already - now where's the sun?

8. James Parham

James Parham New Member

Aug 2, 2022
    Male
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I am bad at posting pictures, but I will check out the bushings. The wing feels solid when up and if I try to move it around by hand there is no wiggle. The reason I included the cold situation is it almost seems like the wing is trying to deploy when it sits in freezing temps. It only goes up 1/4 of inch and my battery gets drained. I will keep the battery tinder in mind that might help, and stop the calls to AAA.

9. ChicagoRus

ChicagoRus New Member

Jul 12, 2012
    IT
    Lombard, Il
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I took the car in yesterday. As soon as they were able to look at it they tried to lower it manually, and it worked. It had been in the garage for a short time, so I assume it was frozen. (Your suggestions of a heated garage may have worked.) They checked all the error codes but didn't find anything wrong. They also examined it for mechanical issues and couldn't find anything. They did say this was the first spoiler problem they'd seen. Because it's an active part, I'm assuming it won't be the last.

10. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    That is a fairly good description of a lot of the winter weather in many parts of the US too.

11. beken

beken Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    IT - Complex business systems in the cloud
    Delta, BC
    Ratings:
    +2,100 / 1 / -0
    I think a little WD40 or some lubricant that can stand up to cold weather in all the joints will help. Any moving part that gets moisture trapped in there will be a problem, not just for MINIs. In the 80's I always kept all the joints in those pop-up headlights well lubricated and never had a problem with the headlights not going up or down when required.

Also, use a bit of silicon lube on any rubber weather stripping will help the windows. I noted that once, when I opened my door this winter the window did not go down a bit to help equalize the air and when I closed the door after I got in the car, I almost broke my window against the door frame.

12. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,874 / 10 / -3
    Posable, if you above a weak sensor the heat can make it brake down. This could be a sign it is on the way out. Did your car limit your speed when your wing did not come up?

13. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,874 / 10 / -3
    Is it still doing it?

14. James Parham

James Parham New Member

Aug 2, 2022
    Male
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    it hasn't gotten as hot as it was that day, so it working fine. last winter my car was outside with a cover on it and i would not drive it all that often. Twice I had a dead battery. After jump starting it I noticed both times the led light was on. The spoiler itself was raised 1/4 of an inch. I think that both times it happened after it got below freezing. So extreme hot and cold seems to be the common element

15. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,874 / 10 / -3
    It’s odd that it’s extremely temperatures that cause it. Just a thought but when my R58 has sat in the sun before I wash it when I hit it with the hose I hear lots of popping. Could you have some slightly worn bushings at the pivot points that in extreme temperatures is wrapping and causing the wing to hang up? I have the fixed JCW wing. If you get a chance and don’t mind I would like to see some pictures of the mechanism with the wing locked up.

I have a couple cars that sit a lot so they live on a battery tender. If the car sits outside you could use one of the solar powered tenders to keep the battery alive. BMW/MINI are picky about power.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    I hope they get it taken care of and let us know what the issue was.

17. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Yep,keep us informed.

Jim

18. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    Maybe some ice build up, can you get it in a warm garage?

19. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    That's just one of the reasons I went to the JCW Fixed Spoiler. If you can't get it into a warm area to melt the ice you will need to see if you can clear out enough around the support hinges to get it to operate. The chime might be driving you crazy....just wait until it goes into limp mode to prevent you from driving faster than MINI thinks is safe without the spoiler deployed.

20. itsmewutup

itsmewutup New Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    Heated garages are nice for such things :)