Sponsor Knowledge of MA Referrals

Discussion in 'Feedback, Reviews & Comments' started by Gil-galad, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Gil-galad

Gil-galad Club Coordinator

May 19, 2009
    Male
    Decorah, IA
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    I've started to make a habit of choosing the Sponsor Directory links resident here on MA to place on-line orders for parts and such, even when I know that links to those vendors exist in other Internet MINI-related forums. Trying to do my part to support the effort. :cornut:

Is it safe to assume that the e-commerce tracking is clever enough to let the MA sponsors know that the transaction originated from MA? I've noticed that a subset have dedicated data fields in their shopping carts to ask the customer how they found the vendor, but perhaps its overkill nowadays with trackbacks and such.

2. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    I played with this on my website tonight and it looks like I can at least tell if you clicked on our link, but if you register on my site I can definetly tell you came from that click.

3. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    My site isn't smart enough

and neither am I. I think there are ways to use the analytics accounts FES has to see how many come to our site from MA, but it doesn't tell me how many result in sales. If you really want FES to know, just shoot us an e-mail.

This actually can be quite the issue. Say you visit the site from here but don't buy. Then you go back to the site after pondering your purchase and you do buy. These are two different visits and it gets hard to track. It's possible but gets more and more complicated.

Matt

4. galoki

galoki New Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    there are marketing firms that can do stuff like that. We use Pardot here at work to track what pages are being viewed and where the viewer is going after that.

Marketing Automation and Lead Management by Pardot

I know it has the intelligence to monitor multiple visits from the same person and track what they do. So the first time someone visits and downloads a whitepaper or webinar from our site they register. After that, they don't have to register again.

5. Gil-galad

Gil-galad Club Coordinator

May 19, 2009
    Male
    Decorah, IA
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    I suppose another complication is the fact that customers may have registered with a particular favorite vendor at some point in the past, prior to the existence of MA. Even if they purchase merchandise or services using the links on this forum, their original registration could reflect a continuing relationship with another site even though it (the relationship) may no longer exist.

6. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    All of the sponsors have access to Google Analytics, in fact anyone with a web site can sign up and insert a bit of code that over time will give you so much data it sometimes can be daunting.

I use it here to gauge the amount of traffic and the source. It also tells me what O/S is used, browser version, screen resolution and the like. With that I can tailor the site to be most effective to the majority. But I can also use that data to determine when I need to update things as well. However, I cannot and do not want to track individuals as they navigate through the site.

It is still a good idea when confronted with those where did you hear of us questions to reply with Motoring Alliance, just as it would be a good idea when calling a sponsor to mention you saw them on M/A.

7. Eric@Helix

Eric@Helix New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 4, 2009
    Shepherd
    Philadelphia
    Ratings:
    +1,257 / 0 / -0
    We probably should add that field in our order process. It would be nice to know what sites are creating business and where we are flushing hard-earned cash down the toilet. As a vendor with a limited advertising budget, I would love to end sponsorships from dead sites (one in particular would be a pleasure to leave).

8. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    Eric, are you saying that you don't sell sewing accessories:D