2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Sport button

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Mbroncosfan422, Jan 18, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Mbroncosfan422

Mbroncosfan422 New Member

Dec 26, 2012
    Mechanic
    Patchogue ny
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I have a 2011 mcs with 3000 miles on it and completely love the car. I read so much about the sport button being so great and fun which it's definitely fun but when I'm driving at around 65 and hit the gas with the sport off I feel it has more pull. Like I feel the turbo alot more at around 3000 rpm then I do with sport button on. At a light the sport button is better but again on open road it feels like I feel more torque when passing a car with the button sport off . I hope it's just me and not something wrong with the car lol.

2. itsmewutup

itsmewutup New Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    Must be just you lol. Its not really as noticeable til you've had the car awhile. That's my opinion anyway.

3. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    The sport button really doesn't affect the engine. It tightens The steering up and changes the throttle map. On automatics transmission cars, it also keeps it in a lower gear than usual, to keep the revolutions up for sportier driving.

Dave

4. Mbroncosfan422

Mbroncosfan422 New Member

Dec 26, 2012
    Mechanic
    Patchogue ny
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Whew I'm glad it's me and not the car lol. I have to say I only had the car for a month and its the most fun I ever had with a car. It makes driving fun like the first time u got your license .

5. OhBe1

OhBe1 New Member

Aug 10, 2012
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I'll guess and say that in normal mode, you feel the turbo spooling under load, whereas in sport the turbo is already spooled up. So you're probably not really faster, you just notice the bump.
    I've found it's easier driving in traffic in sport, throttle response being more linear. Looking forward to snow later this week & see how it does in the slippy stuff.

6. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    ^^^^^what Dave says

7. bmwr606

bmwr606 New Member

May 10, 2012
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    actually, the throttle is more linear with sport mode off

in sport mode, the throttle is progressive, ie you get 1/2 throttle when the gas pedal is only 1/4 of the way depressed vs sport mode off where you get 1/2 throttle when the gas pedal is depressed 1/2 way

there is no hp or torque difference between sport mode on or off

sport mode does change the amount of assist the power steering gives you and on the automatic transmission it does change the shift points higher and delays upshifts when you reduce throttle

sport mode also turns on the pop/burble on lifted throttle

scott

8. Angib

Angib New Member

Nov 25, 2009
    (Old) England
    Ratings:
    +425 / 0 / -0
    Yes, the sport button takes away any sensitivity of the throttle - just where you need to apply power gently. And the steering has sufficient weight in non-sport mode when driving quickly, so the extra weight doesn't improve anything.

I reckon the button should have 'macho' on it, not 'sport', as I think its purpose is to make slow driving feel more butch.

9. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    When I don't have the sport button engaged.... the throttle and steering is kinda dull... Not a comfortable feeling.....

10. KittyMini

KittyMini Club Coordinator

Jun 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,183 / 0 / -0
    My sport button is my foot.

11. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    The steering doesn't feel any different to me, when I have my sport button engaged, but the throttle does and the automatic shifts differently.

Dave

12. mattkosem

mattkosem New Member

Aug 7, 2012
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Wow, seriously? I find the difference immediately noticeable. If you really want to feel the difference, it is quite obvious if you toggle sport on while turning the wheel. It becomes heavier immediately.

--Matt

13. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    #13 Metalman, Jan 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
    Try toggling the sport button when you accelerate...

Dullard..... The Stig.... Dullard..... The Stig.... Dullard... The Stig....

I prefer the Stig button....:D

Visual references...
    The Stig..
    [​IMG]

Dullard....
    [​IMG]

14. mattkosem

mattkosem New Member

Aug 7, 2012
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Every time I have tried that, it has seemed like it did nothing around low/mid throttle until I released it and pressed it again.

--Matt

15. OhBe1

OhBe1 New Member

Aug 10, 2012
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I prefer sport mode under most circumstances. Better throttle linearity (despite above comments), without the sudden turbo rush, especially beneficial in traffic. Easy to drive in slow, low-traction conditions, like up my driveway.

As for steering, I think I'd like just a little more boost in sport mode.

One last thing - not sure, but I think sport mode may delay brake assist, which is a good thing for me. have not done comprehensive tests, though...

16. Little big car

Little big car New Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Chesapeake, VA
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I like what sport mode does to the steering but for normal everyday driving I don't like how agressive it makes the throttle. With sport turned I find it too difficult to pull away from a stop smoothly without having to slip the clutch more than I would like. Clutches are expensive and a pain in the ass to change so I don't generally use it.