Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S Sprintex - Where are we now with these?

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Nathan, Nov 25, 2011.

Tags:
  1. jiminni

jiminni Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    What needs to be asked.......is, why are you so interested? Really? We all know that you are not at all interested in this mod, but yet, you are asking and asking, why?

2. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    United States Navy ..Retired
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    #62 Thumper460, Sep 19, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
    You are such a ...... a....... whats the use.

Here is a dyno from Greece. Looks like a lot of rev, but it also looks like the combo wasnt dropping off on HP even that high!!

[​IMG]

Great numbers..... and where does he have a web site that sells anything?? In GREECE??

Just me..............................

Thumper

Note: Looks like 12-13 tuning pulls untill the final number..

3. jiminni

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Mike :Thumbsup: Hmm......and it was said that you guys had abandoned us FA users.

4. maxmini

maxmini New Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    " I vas only folowing orders Capitan " :)

5. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Instead of 2nd and 3rd parties speculating and making points and counterpoints why not invite the person that did the work to the site to discuss. We have a nifty Invite a Friend system that makes it easy.

Another thing, all those that are drive by posting, you know who you are, you don't participate on the site at all till something gets your goat, then you comment. Well, while activity is good, not all activity is that good. So if you are just going to drive by post, save your keystrokes.

Thanks, and have a nice day. :smile5:

6. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    United States Navy ..Retired
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0

LOL.. Nate, they wont come on any sites that allow the BS that goes on here in the STATES. It is usually insulting to most Eu guys when they are challenged with 'trolling' and mis-truths, stupid unrelated scenarios, People trying to discredit and destroy for another base or Vendor.

I just take the info as information.. I was not there, I wont be there, the car will never be here for me to see or engage, then WHY should I ( or others) try to discredit anything on a MINI site?? Most people are honest and post actual real data as it was presented to them. ( there were a few that totally discredit everything from anyone but their own. And most people on any of the sites are aware of whom they are.. yes??)

I do know that the guys in GREECE ( all 3 of them) have been banging knuckles and twisting wrenches on improving their Performance levels for YEARS!! Just think of all the support there is in GREECE where they are !! Duh... I really dont think they would come over just to take crap from the few.. yes??

Just me.....................................

Thumper

7. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    1. You don't know they won't come here and present the info unless you try. Worst that can happen is they say no, maybe laugh at you too.

2. Peer review. Just cause someone says something doesn't mean that others can't question it in a civilized manner. For the most part this has been rather civilized. And for the most part people that have joined in to offer something here while they do have an agenda (I do know the players) they have asked for more info mostly.

3. Trust, but verify.

8. jiminni

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    lol....this post makes no sense now?

9. jiminni

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    So went back over the last couple pages, to make sure I didn't mess up? And found this little nugget of information, interesting comment.

10. TheModFather

TheModFather Well-Known Member

May 15, 2012
    11 years in the ARMY, 2 years of being a multitale
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    Its not the ECU that makes the power Jim, its the hardware you have for engine mods.
    So why go to a standalone?
    Its easier. Theres no adaptives to try and over write your changes, and nothing un nessicary like tourque limmiters to deal with.

11. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    So explain this software torque limiter we R53 owners are supposed to have?

12. jiminni

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    So you are saying a custom tune cannot make more power? Really? That's new to me. So why does everyone get custom tunes? Concerning the standalone, $2500 is a lot of money to spend just to not be annoyed by limits and stuff, but even those are being addressed :Thumbsup: But don't get me wrong, if someone races and the sort it would be worth it? I guess?

13. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Sprintex, some people love them and some people don't. I for one dont but in the end it really doesn't matter just mod your car however you want and motor on down the road and move on already.

14. jiminni

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    #74 jiminni, Sep 20, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
    Here's a very novice answer to that. Our cars have a torque limit, when that limit is passed, the ECU does it's voodoo and reduces power and or messes with traction, not sure what exactly? With a tuning tool like FA or the like, you can go in and make adjustments to those maps. Any help for ya?

15. TheModFather

May 15, 2012
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    Didnt say that at all.
    A tune is a tune no matter the ECU, standalone or factory. Changing the tune to more performance orented Settings taylored to the installed mods will always make power, but is it the ecu making the power? No... Its the tune getting the most out of the mods. I figgured you might be smart enough to understand what I was saying guess not.

Yes $2500 is a good chunk of change, but no BS and all the added features of the stand alone make it worth the extra cash. As MYNES has said they can not or will not ADD code to the factory ECU, so no matter how many maps are in FA it will always be limited. There is no stock source code for launch controll, the access to the knock controll is limited because there isn't much code there, there is still limitations to everything with the stock ECU. Standalone companies are continuously updating and adding features to their products (yes they are adding code) because that is how you stay ahead in that business. There are so many more features tailored to performance with a standalone than stock ECUs can think about... And the list grows daily!

That worth $2500? I say yes, just to not be held back by what the stock ECU cant do is worth the price to me.

16. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Not really.......lol

Anyone know what these stock limits are? Why are the limits there to begin with (parts longevity)?

17. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    As will any tuning solution that works with the OEM ECU no matter if it Dimsport, Cobb's, GIAC's or whatever. No need to single out any one product as they are all in the same boat when it comes to making changes to the OEM ECU.

A standalone gives one a blank slate to work with as a starting point removing limits the OEM ECU may impose. Each has to decide if the cost of entry is within their bounds of return on investment.

18. jiminni

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    Dang, I tried :lol:

19. jiminni

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    Of course I know :cool: Same principle as the I/C, doesn't make power, but makes a big difference in it. You mention FA, you yourself know that it is A very powerful tool.

20. TheModFather

May 15, 2012
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    Yes I do know how powerful FA can be. In inexperienced hands it can leave your car sitting in pieces for going on a year and 2 months now. It really dosent take much for things to go south real quick, but that is the same with any type of ECU tuner.

I also have a Sprintex (actually I was the first private owner to have one of the production units installed) and thats what this thread is about... So lets get back at it.