Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S Sprintex - Where are we now with these?

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Nathan, Nov 25, 2011.

Tags:
  1. TheModFather

TheModFather Well-Known Member

May 15, 2012
    11 years in the ARMY, 2 years of being a multitale
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    I picked MYNES out of the lineup because they are the only ones offering an end user tuning solution for the factory ECU. Why mention the others when in order to purchase their tools you need a pretty healthy bank account. If you did have the $10K needed for DimSport, you wouldnt be able to get any better results than you can get with FA.

Now can we get back on track please?

2. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Yes please......I want to know more about this supposed torque limiter

:biggrin5:

3. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    United States Navy ..Retired
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    #83 Thumper460, Sep 21, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
    280.5 WHP

Yikes....
    here are this guys list of mods...:

Engine and Drivetrain:
    sprintex s5-210 running 60mm pulley
    Jcw intake with flapectomy and ITG filter
    GP Intercooler
    Mynes V2 header
    Thumper TPR2 .. now upgrading to TPR2RThumper
    ( Thumper)matched intake
    MM cam.. ( changed to 1320 Cat Cam)now installing adjustED cam gear by thumper..
    Arp head studs
    550cc injectors
    ATI Superdamper
    Sachs performance clutch kit
    TSW Solid Upper Engine Mount..changing with vibratechnics from 1320
    Bytetronik FullAccess Tuning kit
    Quaife ATB Differential
    Aquamist Hfs3 system running 50/50 water-meth

-new modification include:

JE custom pistons raising compression
    connecting rods polished and weight matched, arp bolts used.
    Crankshaft balanced till 8000rpm
    Not to bad... or maybe just amazing?? Yes??

---

Here we go... Back on Message

Thumper

4. Jan

Jan Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

May 16, 2010
    Ratings:
    +382 / 0 / -0
    I'd like to clear up some misunderstandings in this thread.......
    tq limiters: it has more to do with throttle speed (movement) than actual power allowed on the R53 except on lower rpm and less than full throttle. You never have to worry about the computer correcting with the stand alone.
    Back in the day we made more hp with just an AFC II than some of have made with tuning built cars. So the tq limiters are not in the equation for making full throttle power.
    2. Cost of the vipec is NOT $2500 it's $2250 and its a full motorsport ecu , it will do stuff better and faster than the stock ecu hands down. It's why there are being races won in professional racing with it. wink**
    3. Software is ONLY as good as the tuner himself. You can have the worlds best software and the biggest blown engine. They don't go hand in hand. Pick wisely......

5. BlwnAway

BlwnAway Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    Ratings:
    +314 / 0 / -0
    I'm waiting to see what they do next with this car, I was e-mailing back & forth with them the other day & they said there not done yet. They are actually only running the 64mm pulley and getting boost in the mid 17's, I hope they decide to go to the 60mm, if nothing else than to see it's potential, I know I'm seeing pretty consistant boost in the low 18's with mine.

6. TheModFather

TheModFather Well-Known Member

May 15, 2012
    11 years in the ARMY, 2 years of being a multitale
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    With my 64mm I would get low 14s at 6000 feet, but after the blower got hot or I went up another couple thousand feet boost would drop back down to upper 12s. At 14000 feet the Sprintex would only push a measly 7 psi!

7. BlwnAway

Nov 24, 2011
    Ratings:
    +314 / 0 / -0
    One of the huge problems about living "up there", where I'm at we're sort of in the middle on all the atmospheric stuff, we're only 500' above sea level and our temps are usually in the middle of the national avg. at any given time of the year. Last night on the way to work, with ambient temps in the mid 60's and barametric psi. of 29.9, I was seeing a steady boost of 18.9 psi from 5700 to 7000, with my 60mm pulley.

8. dreammaker

dreammaker New Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It is really sad to hear sth like that from a supposed tuner... i own no dyno myself nor know how to tweak a dyno to get greater numbers.. probably since you imply sth so ridiculous you mast be familiar with such process for some reason...
    The dyno was chosen after much search for two reasons:
    -all our forum's cars had dynoed their minis over there and i could have a great delta over the m45 equipped mini, which got around 200whp even with quite a few mods..
    -The dyno is the most strict dyno available around and all cars dynoed over there give lower numbers than in any other dyno..

The owner and the operator of the dyno along with some members of our forum that were in the room with our mini can confirm on the procedure..
    You can also send your 250whp mini and see how well it keeps beside our mini.. it will be easy to prove our +30whp!

Ps. when i get a second run on a dyna pack dyno, which for sure will result in greater numbers.. will you still talk the same? you think i own the whole dyno industry?! lol

9. dreammaker

dreammaker New Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

No Stand alone ECU has a torque limiter and yet no stand alone ecu makes any significant power gains over a well tuned R53 ecu running parts nice to admit that you can have the same results with a good tuned stock ecu!

10. dreammaker

dreammaker New Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    rpm is 8200.

11. dreammaker

dreammaker New Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    and just to sum up.. personally i had no reason to dyno that car.. but if i went out and spread the news how the car performs on the road.. everyone would laugh and mock asking for a dyno... now that i did the dyno choosing the most strict dyno.. i here people saying i cheated?! for God's shake.. if i post some videos later on racing some other 300whp cars and being ahead will you say that i am a good adobe premiere user?

12. BlwnAway

Nov 24, 2011
    Ratings:
    +314 / 0 / -0
    Yes, George welcome.

It's basiclly been a year now since the kit's came out & I really don't understand why there's any controversy anymore, the S/C works, myself and anyone else I've spoke to that owns one, likes them. All the testing I've either seen or done, says that they work better than the M45, and even if you don't agree with that, there is no evidence at all to say that they're not just a good.
    Really at this point in time the only controversy at all should be if the cost difference is justified, and that is strictly a personal opinion that anyone who might want one would have to decide on.

And I'm glad you ended up using a Dynojet, at this point it's the closest thing to having an accurate and honest standard that we've got.

We're almost done with my tuning, and I know I couldn't have gotten 19lbs of boost out of my M45 wiithout some kind of issue, if at all. Can't wait for the next phase of my build.

13. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I've cleaned up a bunch of the carp that was smelling really rotten here.

Can we leave the personal dislikes out of this please.

There is no way to get honest commentary when everyone has to watch their backs all the time.

So, if all you are going to do is shoot down others then stay out of the thread.

14. Mrsideways

Mrsideways New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -1
    #94 Mrsideways, Sep 25, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
    That's an accurate statement, You run a stand alone for other reasons that don't apply here.
    I'm not disputing your power.... believe it or not your not the first sprintex to break the 280whp mark. I just think your getting close to the point at which it runs out of steam. We did it without messing with the torque limiter, without meth, and only reving to 7k rpm and on the stock ECU. In fact our very first day on the dyno with the sprintex we hit the 280 mark. But what I had on the car is radically different from the kit available now. But that First day on the Dyno I had a NASA reclass to hit a HP number and I was only allowed to make 282whp so we were trying to hit that number with as much torque as possible. I noted that the car was not going to be competitive at that hp and weight and appealed for more hp and less weight. I later got a reclass in the 290's and we developed the car up into the 290's eventually getting as much as 257 ft/lbs of torque (35.54 kg on your dyno). But we were turning the blower pretty hard to get those tq numbers.
    This is what a dyno reclass looks like for those not familure with NASA rules.
    [​IMG]

15. BlwnAway

Nov 24, 2011
    Ratings:
    +314 / 0 / -0
    Finished up my 60mm tuning a few days ago, cars real strong, gonna be a few weeks till I get it on the dyno again though, working on another project that I want to have done before I spend the money, at $100.00 a pop, I want to take full advantage of my pulls.

I can tell you that I'm seeing constant boost levels of just over 19lbs from 5200 & up.