1st Gen R53 Cooper S Squeaking from front left wheel - when from braking

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by Gizmo, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Gizmo

Gizmo New Member

May 22, 2012
    Graphic Design Student/Airport Office Assistant
    Flemington, NJ
    Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -0
    For the past month or so my front left wheel has been squeaking and I am wondering if anyone has some input on some possible fixed or what I should look for to see what could be causing it.

So here's the thing:

It isn't a constant squeaking and it doesn't follow a set pattern. It may go squeak-squeak-squeak and then squeak but then not for a little and then start up again, etc. It happens more often when I am turning the wheel and at speeds generally under 50mph.

I don't know what this could really be. I jacked up the car and turned the wheel by hand it it didn't squeak.

Any insight and help is greatly appreciated...

2. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: Be patient, the gear heads will be along shortly.:Thumbsup:

Jason

3. Gizmo

Gizmo New Member

May 22, 2012
    Flemington, NJ
    Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -0
    I usually can figure these things out but this has me stumped...

4. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Have you torqued the wheel bolts? Could also be a wheel bearing - jack up the car, grab the wheel at 6 and 12 o'clock, and see if there's any play. Pop the cap on the upper strut mount and have a look at the bearings, too.

How many miles on your car?

5. quikmni

quikmni Moderator

Jun 6, 2009
    Aerospace Engineer
    Orcutt, CA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    Another suggestion is to make sure there is not a small rock or something wedged between the rotor and backing plate. Or maybe the backing plate is bent a little and rubs slightly.

6. mrclean

mrclean New Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    you may not hear the squeak when you jack the car up because the squeak may appear while the wheel is under a load. Sometimes wheel bearings may start to squeak due to wear and tear. How much miles on vehicle and any prior accidents could cause early wear too. what type of brake pads are you using and or dusty dirt driving can cause particle dust build up on parts too. preasure wash undercarriage of debis and re-examine front end for play. good luck!

7. grodenglaive

grodenglaive New Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    a loose engine mount on mine squeaked when braking, decelerating, or accelerating at low speeds.

8. Gizmo

Gizmo New Member

May 22, 2012
    Flemington, NJ
    Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for all of your responses guys. I should have some time tomorrow to jack up the car and investigate.

My car has not been in any accidents, but has almost 108,000 miles. I have replaced the pads and rotors with OEM recently as well as the upper and lower engine mounts.

I got new tires mounted (i.e. re-torquing the lug bolts) today and noticed the squeaking is less, however I also washed it this morning so it could have been either reducing the squeaking.

9. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Did it start shortly after you did the brake job? if so, I'd have to look there for the answer.

I've never heard a wheel bearing squeak, without making a lot of other horrible noises for many miles before that!

Does it sound rotational? Does it sound like it's following engine RPMs of wheel rotation? Does it ever do it when the wheels aren't turning?

10. Gizmo

Gizmo New Member

May 22, 2012
    Flemington, NJ
    Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -0
    This happened two months or so after I did the brakes.

It follows no set pattern or logic... It happens when the wheels are turning and when they aren't... different speeds, etc.

11. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Then maybe it's not related to the wheel. Maybe some of your poly bushings are squeaking?

12. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    If it hapens when the wheels aren't turning that pretty much rules out brakes or any of the rotational pieces.

It does have to have the engine running, right?

If so it has to be something in the exhaust, a shield loose or bent and hitting something. Look at the exhaust shield just below the power steering reservoir.

For any more suggestions I think you're going to have to give us a more thorough review of when and how it does it.

Does it sound more like a rotational sound or a rattle/abrasion sort of sound?

Is it engine related at all or more suspension related?

Can you correlate any movement of the car to the sound? Any type of road surface or condition? Temp related in any way - ambient or engine?

Can you make a vid of it and post it?

Is it still doing it?

13. TexasChiliS

TexasChiliS Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    I would check for cracked or broken upper strut mount.

14. Gizmo

Gizmo New Member

May 22, 2012
    Flemington, NJ
    Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -0
    I am going to take a good look at it tomorrow. I went to a parking lot with my dad, we both took turns driving it around and it was very temperamental.

I appreciate all of the suggestions and I am sorry I am not able to give a more precise evaluation on what is actually happening.

It happens more often when the car is turning. It rarely happens when the car is decelerating but it does squeak when accelerating.

When I drove it around the parking lot it would squeak here and there but then for a good 10 minutes...it didn't squeak at all. I took a video but it didn't help much.

This is really frustrating because the squeaking can be pretty loud and kind of embarrassing but I can't figure out what is causing it.

I will report back to you all with what I find.

15. Gizmo

Gizmo New Member

May 22, 2012
    Flemington, NJ
    Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -0
    Well I took off the wheel and cleaned the brake, strut, etc. and it still squeaks. I couldn't see any visible damage to the strut or any of the brake components.

I squeaks a fair amount going 25-30...but only when it "wants" to. I also noticed again that it squeaks more often in right turns than left.

I tried to take a video but all you can hear is the supercharger and wind noise so that doesn't help at all.

I appreciate all the help but I don't think this will be able to be solved any time soon. I want to provide more information for you all to help brainstorm but I just can't make any logical sense to this.