Squeakity-squeak, squeak?

Discussion in 'Mid-Ohio Motoring' started by ImagoX, Aug 2, 2012.

1. ImagoX

ImagoX New Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    (((Posted this in Suspension mods as well, but I know we have solid technicians here and this really isn't a MOD question...)))

Both my 05 cabrio and Amy's 04 hardtop are squeaky as HELL lately... mainly when going over bumps. Not noticing any issues w/ rebound, pulling, abnormal softness, etc. but it's loud as hell.

The Haynes book lists no grease points (that I'm seeing, anyway), only to inspect all the fittings and the rubber boots, which I've done. All looks good, but the rattling's getting worse.

Since I'm not seeing anything obvious from a visual inspection, should I have a garage take a look? Maybe even a dealer? I'm not clueless about mechanicals, just wondering if there's some specific, known issue I should be looking for.

Also, I didn't mention this in Suspension, but the cabrio is rattling, it sounds like, from INSIDE THE REAR PANELS or perhaps in the rear wheel well... Again, nothing obvious from a visual inspection, but I did take the car into MAG under warranty a few years back complaining of the same issue and they fixed... SOMETHING. Just said they "tightened up some fittings" IIRC. Maybe it's the same thing, maybe something different?

Has anyone had this issue? FYI - Amy's car has about 120k on the clock and my car has about 55k.

Thanks!

2. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Do your MINIs have aftermarket sway bars? If so I'd lsuggest lubing up the bushings. Even if they are oem I'd still lube them. At least that gives you a place to start.

At the mileages you have Amy's MINI has worn out lower control arm bushings & yours are on the way there if not there yet.

I'd suggest going to Best Auto Werks if you can't figure this out.

3. ImagoX

ImagoX New Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    Bone-stock sway bars and suspension components throughout.

Where are the lube points on the OEM suspension? I was hoping the Haynes book would list them, but it appears as if everything's sealed and the bearings are integral with the swivel hubs.

4. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    No lube points per say, but something is either loose or worn out. My MINI has a lot of miles & does not squeak.

5. ImagoX

ImagoX New Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    Mine's squeaked since I had about 20K on the clock, but I may notice it more due to the amount of "top-down motoring" I do. It definitely seems worse in the summer (when I can hear it). I'm going to take it over to Northend Wrench for a proper on-the-lift inspection and hopefully they'll see something I'm missing. Amy's car just started squeaking (well, I just began to NOTICE it anyway), but she's got over 120K on the clock...

6. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    Matt, I know you have a great deal of confidence with Northend but if you need a second opinion I highly recommend John Best at Best Motorwerks out by the airport.

7. ImagoX

ImagoX New Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    It's partially because I do trust them, yes, but also because they're just down the street. I can drop my car off the night before without having to drive halfway across town... :p

8. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    Great reason!