Brakes Wheels 2nd Gen Tires Stainless steel brake lines

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by mrminimmel, Feb 28, 2012.

1. mrminimmel

mrminimmel New Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I just got my Mini JCW S back from the shop that put in the Koni Yellow shocks and the feel is great. This coming weekend I have an autocross to look forward to. I had the rear shocks set at just off full soft and the 19mm sway bar is on the stiffest setting. I am excited to try out the way it handles. I also have the NM lowering springs and a set of Hankook RS3's. I asked the mechanic what he thought the next best improvement should be and he said stainless brake lines. Who makes good quality lines and are teflon coated lines something needed out here in AZ? Do all lines designed for the Cooper S fit exactly or are there "adjustments" that need to be made?
    Thanks

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Most of the Motoring Alliance sponsors carry stainless steel braided lines. As to which brand is best, there really is not much difference between them in quality, at least from what I've seen the sponsors carry.

There is a difference between the caliper ends for the 1st and 2nd generation MINIs. Thats about it.

3. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    What ever your choice in brands, just be sure they have a teflon inner line..... I'm sure most do.

4. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I got my s/s brake lines from Chad at Detroit Tuned. Perfect fit! :Thumbsup:

5. grodenglaive

grodenglaive New Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    I have the ones from Outmotoring (I can't remember what brand they are). The rubber bushing (O-ring) that slides into the slot on the shock doesn't fit Konis very well. It does stay in place once you get it in though. No issues other than that.

6. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    Got mine from Way Motor Works, fit perfect.

7. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Here is an argument against the SS lines as the next mod. They honestly will not improve your times for AutoX, they may help on a longer track tho.

The next mod should be determined by the class you intend to run in.

8. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    The stainless lines can improve the pedal feel. They make a bigger difference if the current lines are a bit old and starting to expand a bit under pressure.

Along with the lines another item that helps slightly is the caliper bushings. They tend to move easier than than the stock ones.

9. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Goodridge SS brake lines here!:Thumbsup:

10. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    If you are planning on running DS you cannot use SS brake lines. If you are running DSP or STX you can use them.

I'll echo the sentiment that SS brake lines give you a bit firmer pedal feel over OEM lines but there isn't any advantage in the actual application of the brakes though.

11. yardofbeef

yardofbeef New Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have a set in my garage, ready to install.
    However, i'm still looking for a How-To so i don't accidentally do more harm than good.
    If you know of one out there (mini-specific, preferably) that would be really helpful.

12. mrminimmel

mrminimmel New Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    brake lines

Thanks for the input. I'm just looking for better pedal feel. I know for a fact the only thing right now that will improve my course times is seat time. I am in STX and having a blast. Way Motor works sounds like a good choice.

13. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Oh yea.....the solid bushings are great. Forgot about those. IMHO a much better mod than the SS lines.

14. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    Check out our WMW stainless brake lines.

They fit perfect with no grinding like some of the others.

These are the required spec lines for the new B Spec race series.

15. grodenglaive

grodenglaive New Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    they have nice grommets too!

16. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    One trick when installing brake lines... Wedge a long stick (I use a crutch) between the pedal and the seat back. You just have to depress the brake pedal an inch or more, and it will isolate the fluid reservoir from the system. That means all your fluid won't leak out when you disconnect the brake lines. You'll still have to bleed the brakes afterwards, but it won't require nearly as much fluid.