1st Gen R53 Cooper S Steering rack Boots Busted

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by mini_racer, Mar 24, 2010.

1. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    So, changing my oil last night I was doing my usual looking around, poking and prodding and I found a little surprise. :mad:

The top of both of the steering rack boots are busted. The passenger side looks like this. This is a shot from above looking straight down. So the oil filter is just off pic in the lower right corner. That bolt you see in the top of the pic is for the control arm bushing mount.
    [​IMG]

Anyway, the Driver's side is also busted, and also on the top. I have no clue as to how they are both bad in the same spot. Nothing can touch them where they are located.

The only thing I can think of is that the dealership replaced those control arm bushings at 15K, maybe they pried, something, or let something rest, etc., etc. I dunno. I am looking for ideas????? HELP!

It is very rare for my car to see any rain, and now it seems that I have a damn good reason to keep the car dry until I get this remedied. I doubt seriously that this just happened, so how could I have just seen this now, ugh.

Oh, and I have 24K on my '06 JCW car now.

2. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Check the PS pump fan while you're at it.

3. Wikedmini

Wikedmini MINI of the Month - December 2009

Aug 17, 2009
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    do u notice any thing while driving?

4. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    #4 mini_racer, Mar 24, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
    The pump fan spins smoothly, and has a good electrical connection. I would assume it is functioning properly, but is not related to this issue anyway. It is always a good idea to check that stupid fan anyway as expensive as the pump is.

I have experienced ZERO symptoms with the system. Everything works just fine.

I only have this apparent mechanical damage to the boots??? :confused:

I will soon take the front wheels off and see if I can get a better look or figure anything out. Really weird!

5. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Well, it looks like the repair will not be too crazy expensive, unless of course I see some nastiness once the bellows are off.
    [​IMG]

But how the hell did this happen? I am not aware of anyone else reporting this issue.

6. Rally

Rally New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 5, 2009
    Ohio
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    Might want to turn your steering wheel and see if it's snagging on anything when it's at full lock or something. It almost looks torn/ripped rather than worn down.

7. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Yes agree, as I said..........some kind of mechanical damage. This is not worn, it is damaged. Presently the car is up on ramps due to the oil change, and I am going to go ahead and change the LSD fluid as well. So, as soon as I get it down, I can get it back up on jack stands and take the wheels off to check it out further, including any possible clearance issues.

8. moreorless

moreorless New Member

Aug 17, 2009
    In a pile of sawdust.
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Hmmmm...you may not notice any clearance issues whilst it's up on jack stands.

9. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Looking for ideas...........
    Not sure if this helps.
    Can't tell from the pic's. Does it look like both boots were installed with a twist? If twisted (the space inside the boot is made smaller), then it may be possible that the large nut inside the boot is rubbing / snagging / ripping the bellows from the inside, eventually wearing through the boot.

Or, as you point out, maybe the person that changed the control arm bushing used a pry-bar on your bellows (a no-no)? Could be hard to prove this negligence now at this date.

I hate to have other people work on my cars.
    I always check the oil level when I have my business vehicles serviced. I once found during an oil change that an extra 3 quarts over the max were installed. Had them drain it and re-add the oil. If you can catch the mistakes early, there is much less resistance from the service provider. But it's kind of hard to get under the vehicle without a lift.:(

Hope this helps.

10. Eric@Helix

Eric@Helix New Member

May 4, 2009
    Shepherd
    Philadelphia
    Ratings:
    +1,257 / 0 / -0
    That is an unusual failure. I'm not fully bought into either the twist idea or the CTAB idea as the cause of the problem. The factory clamp at the end of the boot is loose enough that it would not stay twisted. I don't see how anybody in their right mind would pry on the tie rods when doing CTABS. It would take a monkey of the first order to try that. Check for free movement as you turn the wheel lock-to-lock. Who knows, maybe it's hitting the oil cooler lines. Dunno.

11. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    More/better pics to share

Unusual indeed...........
    So, here is another shot from the top on the passenger side with full lock left, meaning the right/passenger side is fully extended.
    [​IMG]

And another shot of the same boot from the outside, can't really see too much here. However you can verify that all is normal with regard to all other components.
    [​IMG]

Here is the Driver's side with full lock right, so the left side is fully extended. This side looks to be even worse. The second pic is a little more to the side.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Ok, so has anyone seen anything like this before? There is just nothing close by to interfere or rip the boots, regardless of the wheel direction or suspension travel.

I am baffled!

12. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Well................
    The "top of the passenger side with full lock left" picture is very interesting.
    The rubber bellows have a root diameter, which is the small diameter of the bellows. If you look closely, I count 5 holes that can be seen. They are all in what's called the root diameter of your most recent 1st picture. That tells me the movable shaft is wearing through the boot at the narrowest diameter (from the inside out). Why this is happening, I have no idea? That's not to say that for some reason the boot is being deflected downward so this internal rubbing can take place.

I wonder if the two "crimp-on" clamps at the ends of each bellow were installed with the bellows in more of a stretched position so that when you go to full lock the bellows rub on the internal shaft?:confused5:

13. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    #13 mini_racer, Mar 25, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
    Yes, on the Passenger side at least it appears to have been abraded from the inside, not sure how or why though. Although it is not readily apparent how a simple bellows replacement could possibly prevent the same thing from happening again, if in fact this is the case.

As for the right side, it is more severely damaged and not sure how it may have met it's demise.

So what is so special about my rack that it might be killing the boots? Who knows.

Unless there are any better ideas..............I am guessing I just need to get the repair kits, take it apart, and see what I can see. Then whatever else I have to do the prevent a further occurence, I will also need to go and get it aligned as I likely will not get the toe right even though I am gonna measure twice. Grrrr on this whole stupid thing. :mad2:

And of course, my '06 is out of warranty at this point.

14. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0

Attached Files:

15. moreorless

moreorless New Member

Aug 17, 2009
    In a pile of sawdust.
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    What about small, gray 4 legged critters nibbling away?

16. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Well, anything is possible, but my car is 100% garage kept, and I can't remember ever having peanut butter or anything else tasty smeared on those boots. :frown2:

17. Eric@Helix

Eric@Helix New Member

May 4, 2009
    Shepherd
    Philadelphia
    Ratings:
    +1,257 / 0 / -0
    Your second set of shots look more like heat damage, no?

18. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    It is difficult to consider heat damage without a heat source close enough.
    Also, why the center of the boot, why not any damage closer to the inside or outside?
    The exhaust is far away from the bellows, and there is a heat shield over the center section of the rack. It just does not get hot enough down there to possibly affect those boots..............

If you have a theory, please share it.

19. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Well, I do not take my car out of the garage when it is wet out. So, that might be a factor concerning the lack of corrosion.:D And yes, the road salts can take a heavy toll on your car, I think they just use sand for the roads here in TX.

20. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Hmmmmmmm.....
    What are the chances that someone used a torch to heat the fittings when the control arm bushings were replaced? Say like in the general area on the tops of both bellows? Of course that possible heat source is no longer present.:confused5:

The very last pic looks like some serious melting going on.