1st Gen GP Steering Stop

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by quikmni, Sep 7, 2010.

Tags:
  1. quikmni

quikmni Moderator

Jun 6, 2009
    Aerospace Engineer
    Orcutt, CA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    I removed the steering stops from the GPs front steering arms which decresed the turning diameter by 3 feet. The turning diameter went from 34 ft to 31 ft. I am very happy with the reduced turning diameter.

The 5.3mm spacers are located on each arm where the arm connects to the steering rack. You have to move the boot out of the way and then remove the tie-rod arm at the inside connection point (where it screws into the end of the steering rack). Once the end is removed the spacer slips right off. The whole arm does not need to be removed.

2. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Any clue why it was there?

on my Mustang when those aren't in place, you can turn the car far enough to hear a bunch of not good grinding sounds..... If you have good clearence everywhere, that's a cool mod and cheap too! 3' is a nice reduction...

Matt

3. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Just curious, why would MINI put those stops in there anyway? Seems like if a 3' reduction was built in why not make it available for a car that is known for "Go Kart Handling"? Are they there to prevent the stresses put on the CV joint that might be experienced during too tight a turn?

4. Rally

Rally New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 5, 2009
    Ohio
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    From what I've read they put it on for all cars delivered with 18's from the factory. They were probably just worried about wheel clearances while turning, but people say that they still experience no rubbing when removed.

5. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    :Thumbsup:

P.S. And you thought we would never agree on anything. :D

6. quikmni

quikmni Moderator

Jun 6, 2009
    Aerospace Engineer
    Orcutt, CA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    If you remove the steering stop, you will probably need a front end alignment.
    The front toe was way off, on my car, after removing the stop because I did not do a good job getting the tie rods adjusted after having them disconnected at the steering rack.