Stick vs Manual: the debate goes on

Discussion in 'MINI' started by Steve, May 4, 2012.

1. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    I like the idea of a Continuously Variable Transmission, but they have a long way to go before they can use it in higher horsepower applications.

Dave

2. dr61

dr61 Member

Oct 9, 2011
    Redding, CA, USA
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Actually most CVT's have either a torque converter or a wet clutch between the pulley system and engine flywheel.

3. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: My 6sd manual and clutch help me to pay closer attention to 'driving the car' and not being distracted from my driving. Just me.:Thumbsup:

Jason

4. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Thanks for the CVT info, I had no idea. A wet crutch it is. :wink:

5. Jabbles

Jabbles New Member

May 4, 2009
    HVAC service
    Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Maybe I have just driven crappy automatics but I just don't like them. Obviously they are easy and in busy city traffic I can see the appeal. For spirited driving though the auto simply can't see the road. Maybe I am holding a gear a bit long because I am about to hit an on ramp, I want to drop down a gear for the upcoming corner. As for the automated manuals, well I just haven't driven one yet. It's certainly a better option over a slush box but until I drive one I don't know.

I think one reason for the decline is availability, I know several people who wanted a manual but it was unavailable. It wasn't that it was not possible just that it was not on the lot or anywhere close, and they didn't feel like special ordering. So they settled for the auto.

I do think more people should at least try it.

6. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Good thing I only have other guys with automatics on my mountain drives with me. Because lord knows, anyone following me with a manual transmission would be MISERABLE. Because, obviously, manuals are so much bettererer and give you so much more control that they'd be demonstrably faster in every performance-oriented situation.

:rolleyes:

Now, no question manuals or "dry clutch" trannies like DSG (however you might classify them) provide more efficient energy transfer than a torque-converter auto. And that, generally, manual trannies & clutches can support (or can be upgraded to support) higher torque transfer than the stock capabilities of most off-the-lot automatics. And that pushing that left pedal and doing heel-toe are fun skills to master.

But there are such broad differences between different torque converters, different auto shift control programming, shifting speed of the auto trannies themselves, programming for when you're using autos in "manual" mode, and the learned skill of wringing the most out of any given manual-shift slush box setup, that it's a little presumptuous to make sweeping generalizations until you've ridden shotgun with someone skilled at using a particular setup...

Not for a minute will I argue that a slush box is "as good" on the track.

But on the street, where most of our cars get almost all their miles, I think driver skill and situational awareness trumps just about everything else.

As for Mini automatics:
    D - slushbox mode. OK if you like good gas mileage, or want to be lazy on the interstate. Likely to reinforce the "I hate automatics" opinion among experienced manual drivers.
    SD - a different animal, but still lazy and still leaves you wondering why the car made certain decisions. Likely to make some folks say "this isn't as bad as I was expecting, but it's still an f-ing automatic"
    SD w/manual shifting - you make the same kind of shifting decisions and actions as with a manual. You are in control (until you hit 6700 RPM or lug the engine). More forgiving of bad decisions than the manual. Less fun with tire chirping and burnouts than the manual. Less need for LSD than a manual. Faster shifting than most manual users.

7. jeffster06

jeffster06 Active Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Dallas, GA
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    I can't say I've ever drove an auto (er um hybrid auto) MINI. But when it comes to driving a manual I prefer a clutch pedal, also I find paddle shifters confusing, I know with a manual depending where my shifter is sitting what gear I'm in (yes I know speed and rpm can tell me that too). But with paddle shifters when I have drove non MINI's with them I'm always staring at the gauge cluster to see exactly what gear I am in.

One of these days I might go test drive an auto MINI. although I would never trade my R53 for one. I may consider adding an auto MINI to the stables though.

8. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    With the automatic, in manual mode, the car tells you what gear you are in. It's in the display on the tachometer.

Dave

9. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    This is a stupid argument.

People have different wants and needs. Having the choice between a manual or auto transmission makes great business sense for MINI. There are many reason why people may want an auto, that doesn't make them any less of enthusiast.

We have been seeing less and less choice in this matter as efficiency, being green and costs are all taken into consideration. We manual drivers should feel lucky MINI even offers us the ability to row our own gears.

10 Years ago I would have considered an Auto Transmission as sacrilegious on a sporty car. Now more come with the auto than with a manual. Auto transmission technology has increased in leaps and bounds from the old Vista Cruiser slushboxes.

If a manual is your thing, enjoy it now, I'd venture to say that within 10 years they will be pretty much gone for the most part.

10. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    ^^^ Well said Nathan....

11. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    On another note, you simply can not text, hold your phone to your ear or put on make up, with a six speed manual. :D

Jim

12. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Nooooooooo.... Jim, what are you doing...... Say it ain't so.....
    Errrrrr.... showing yur feminine side?

13. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    You can eat a donut & drink coffee while shifting if you get your double donut clutch right.... :donut1:

14. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Double donut clutch huh? A clutch is some kinda newfangled purse isn't it?
    Jim.... Help me out here....:D

15. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Jeez Chuck are you some kind of donut-phobe? :donut1:

16. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Only if they match my galoshes....:ihih:

17. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    That has NEVER stopped us before. :lol:

18. ronnie948

ronnie948 New Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Retired
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Here ya go

:donut1:

:postcount

19. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    You got that right..... :crazy:

20. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    You don't need any help MM. You and Crash are doing just fine on your own. :Thumbsup:

Jim