Stick vs Manual: the debate goes on

Discussion in 'MINI' started by Steve, May 4, 2012.

1. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    The Stick Is Back: Shoppers Shift To Manual Transmissions (TheCarConnection.com)
    Article with links and comments here.

2. Jabbles

Jabbles New Member

May 4, 2009
    HVAC service
    Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    2360 auto models? Does that seen really high?

3. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Not really, just look at how many variants many brands have. For example, there are 19 variants of the Porsche 911, 8 of the Panamera, 6 Cayenne, 3 Cayman and 2 Boxster. That's 38 total there. Mercedes also has 38 different variants. BMW has 63 different variants. So yeah, when you start adding all these up 2360 is not that far off base.

4. Jabbles

Jabbles New Member

May 4, 2009
    HVAC service
    Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I figured they were counting every trim level, still seemed a bit high though.

5. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    It's always a moot debate but it can be fun to drop in your own two cents.

I enjoy driving my manual MINI. I had manuals in my 2005 Mustang GT and 2006 Nissan 350Z. Great fun.

I've driven my Dad's MCSa multiple times along with many other Automatics that have a "manual" mode and I come to decide they generally suck when it comes to hard shifting environments (i.e. Road Racing/Track Events/Some AutoX). By automatics I mean the traditional automatic with a torque converter and valve-body. Now for hard-core drag racing the auto is the ONLY way to go. Eventually when they can get CVTs to take hard-core drag-racing torque they will surpass autos.

I had 2006 VW GTI with a DSG (dual wet clutch trans). While it shifts automatically the mechanics in how it shifts are drastically different. On the VW forums there are ALWAYS debates on which is "better". There are pluses and minuses to both. I will say this: if they had a DSG (or whatever MINI/BMW wants to call it) version of the MINI it would be a VERY tempting option so long as I could still have the LSD with it.

My $0.02 and I'm sure I over-charged.

6. Blainestang

Blainestang New Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Another huge difference when it comes to Autos is the programming.

The GTI and Jetta Sportwagen both have a DSG, but from my experience with them, they're programmed quite differently.

Even in 'manual' mode in the TDI, the DSG shifted itself notably before redline... and of course, did so at the same moment that I was telling it to shift. So, it shifted twice. :mad2:

So, that's all the information I needed to know that I will never buy a DSG Sportwagen. Sure, the HARDWARE is and theoretical capability eclipses a manual, but the software isn't written to take advantage of that.

That being said, it's a TDI Sportwagen, not an R8 GT, so I understand somewhat why they program it differently... but it's not for me.

7. Gr8ful

Gr8ful New Member

Feb 25, 2011
    Taking care of motos, minis
    No.West Fl
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Drive or be driven

8. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Well it seems to me that the difference in engine characteristics between the gas & diesel engine would demand different shift programs for the DSG. My guess is the torque of the diesel might tear the DSG apart if it was not programmed to shift in a kinder gentler way than a GTI does.

On another note:
    :rolleyes:

9. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Again with the attitude......

Why is it that stick shift owners seem to think they're somehow superior to those with automatics? By what possible logic?

The only thing you do differently than me is push the clutch pedal down a million times, and this makes you better how?

Get over yourselves......there is nothing inherently superior about your driving over mine in my automatic, and if you want to spend some time on a road course with me, I will show you exactly why.

I am all for personal preference, and I don't look down on manual shift drivers, so why you think you have to cop this superior attitude is beyond me.

And BTW, my Jag is a stick.....so now what?

10. dr61

dr61 Member

Oct 9, 2011
    Redding, CA, USA
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    You are right about difference in engine characteristics. However the TDI torque is maximum at low revs, 1500-2400 or so. I drive both an R60 S and a 2009 VW Sportwagen TDI, both manual. Fact is the TDI doesn't accelerate faster if you rev it to red line. It seems to gain little to use more than 4000 RPM as a shift point for max acceleration. I think that is the reason the DSG versions shift well below red line at full accelerator pedal.

Both cars are fun, in different ways.

11. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    For reference: the 2.0T TFSI engine in GTI's make max torque starting at 1800rpm and hold that max torque through 5000rpm.

12. Herleman

Herleman New Member

May 25, 2010
    Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    ....and its really hard to dial or send text messages when you'e having to do all that gear stuff.

Hey, I just noticed that the guage thingie over the steering wheel gets to higher numbers sometimes, then it goes back down. The higher it gets, the more noise the car makes. It must be some sort of noise meter. Cool.... I always notice high tech things like that.

13. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    ^ Since you are new I'll give you a tip. Keep that red needle on the noise meter far to the right. :D

Welcome to M/A

14. Blainestang

Blainestang New Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    I agree that shifting at 4000 rpm MAY provide the fastest acceleration... but my point is:

Why bother having paddle-shifters if the car is going to shift itself whenever it wants anyway?

15. dr61

dr61 Member

Oct 9, 2011
    Redding, CA, USA
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Good point; maybe they are still useful for downshifting on grades or before entering turns.