Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S Stock to Pocket Rocket - Engine Mods

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Ronbo, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Ronbo

Ronbo New Member

Feb 10, 2013
    New Albany, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +106 / 0 / -0
    Ok. Now that I've spent a little time with the new to me 2003 Mini S and have read about some of the modifications you have made, I think I'm ready to pump a few more ponnies out from under the hood.

Most common/basic mods seem to be a 15% pulley, exhaust system, intake system and colder plugs. Let's stick to just engine stuff and the rest will come later. Based on a $1200 to $1500 budget for parts - what brands would you recommend and why. I don't want to sacrafice to much reliabity or driveabilty - and I'm to old for a overly noisey/droney exhaust.

Thank you all in advance for your advice and comments! FYI, I've got pictures of the Mini posted in my garage.

2. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    My MINI has a 15% Alta pulley, but there are many good ones available from forum sponsors. I have a JCW intake & a JCW exhaust. Neither are too loud for my old fart tastes. I run stock heat range plugs. All of these mods have been on my MINI for about 110,000 miles & they have cause zero issues. Pretty safe stuff if you ask me.

As far as suspenders go I'd start off with a 19mm rear sway bar & see how you like things before preceding farther.

I have done business with these vendors & recommend them. :Thumbsup:

R53: 02-06 Cooper 'S' - MINI Cooper Accessories :: MINI Cooper Parts :: OutMotoring

Detroit Tuned Mini Cooper S Products

Helix Motorsports

3. quikmni

quikmni Moderator

Jun 6, 2009
    Aerospace Engineer
    Orcutt, CA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    Something similar to this $1300 WMW package with DDM Intake, 15% Pulley, Belt, Plugs, Tensioner Stop, and Stratmoshere exhaust.
    R53 Street Performance Package - Way Motor Works
    Then save for an ECU tune.
    All good parts and the exhaust is a little louder than JCW but does not drone. I am old and think the JCW is too quiet. I had the JCW exhaust and swapped to Milltek which is equivalent to Stratmosphere. In my opinion a great street exhaust.
    15% pulley is proven to be very reliable and causes no long term engine or supercharger problems.

If buying the package maybe Way will give you a great price on a ECU tune.

4. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: I'm a charter member of the old duffer's club also but unfortunately no help as i'm an R56 type. I'll cheer you on from the side lines though. We like ALL MINIs and Minis and try not to argue as to which is better. I'm glad that you got an R53 that you can play with.:Thumbsup:

Jason

5. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    +1 for Way's ecu tune! :Thumbsup:

6. Ronbo

Ronbo New Member

Feb 10, 2013
    New Albany, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +106 / 0 / -0
    Wow! Thanks for all the info. I can now build a pocket rocket!

Here's a little snaffu. I bought a 2 year/24K warranty when I bought the Mini. Basically bumper to bumper coverage for a great price because of the low miles. I may need to rethinks mods because they are very specific about can and can't be done. I need to review the contract and read between the BS.

Bummer!

7. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    #7 wmwny, Feb 14, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
    I've bought 2 of my MINIs from MAG. Both are modded...the R53 far more than the MC. I have a UniChip in the MC and all they ever said to me is "hmmm, you have a Unichip in your R50". They never voided anything. That car also has a catback and a cai, both aftermarket. I think I read somewhere where they cannot void your warranty just cuz you have put on aftermarket parts. Someone here can set me straight if I am wrong, but I don't think I am. The S I have is heavily modded and has Way's ecu tune. Again, while MAG knows that I have an aftermarket pulley and other stuff, they have never refused to do work on my car, even when it was under warranty. Just my 2c, but, check with others on here for their input, too.

8. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: To the best of my memory.............if something goes wrong with the car, they have to be able to say that the mod itself led to the damage. If the mod didn't cause the damage, then they should fix it.(my 08 BRG R56 MCS/JCWm had plenty of warranty problems and was modded but, they always fixed her under warranty. If they made a mistake, I gave them the benefit of the doubt and did not throw a 'hissy fit'.) It all comes back to, how good is the relationship that the owner keeps with the dealership and does he keep his maintainance up and on schedule. Does he keep a positive attitude while at the dealership or does he constantly bicker and gripe?:Thumbsup:

Jason

9. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Here's the difference. Rondo bought an aftermarket warranty. It is not the factory new car warranty. I'd guess the no mod clause was spelled out in the document he signed. Maybe there is an escape clause in the warranty. Check in with the sell & see.

Jeff do you remember what happened when you tried to buy an extended warranty? Didn't they inspect your MINI & say no way Jose because of the mods?

10. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    The advantage of the aftermarket warranty is if you local dealer is willing to tell you to take off the mod before they have your after-market warranty man come in and look at whatever problem you have inorder to cover it..
    A friend was able to get his pulley off the car like this and got a Supercharger covered under his after-market warranty..

11. Ronbo

Ronbo New Member

Feb 10, 2013
    New Albany, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +106 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for all the comments. So here's what my take is after reading through contract. Could get away with aftermarket exhaust system because it's not covered by warranty and they can't tell me what kind to install if they're not paying for it. A drop in K&N filter would work and might even be able to get away with a JCW intake because its a OEM part from factory.

Power pulley would be a definite no-no. Any premature supercharger/engine failure would immediatly be blamed on the modification and would void contract. Finding a mechanic that would work with me could prove risky and ultimately expensive.

So, is it worth adding a intake/exhaust upgrade without a pulley, or should I reside myself to the fact that I've got a really nice stock Mini S ???

12. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    The JCW filter and an aftermarket exhaust will net a few HP's. Just depends on whether or not you want to spend the money now or later. No reason not to spread out the love to your MINI.

13. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    The intake and a catback will give you some small additional power, but it will also make the car sound a lot more sportier.

An ecu tune will also provide more power, but is a computer mod, not an engine mod, although it does affect the engine's power. I like mine because if MAG ever has my S and the tune is set back to OEM specs, all I have to do is to contact Way and he will reset the tuneup.

14. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I think a JCW intake makes sense as does a cat back system. These will help, but the big bang for the buck mod is the forbidden 15% pulley. As far as a friendly mechanic goes ask me at donuts tomorrow & I will clue you in to a local gem of a mechanic who would most likely work with you if you find yourself in that spot.

15. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    The aftermarket I had tried to get was not sponsored by MINI. So, after they refused me, I went back to MINI and they got me into one of theirs. It cost a little more, but it gave me what I was looking for. Now, both my MCSa and MC have gone past the mileage limitations so I can no longer get that kind of coverage for them. The newer MCSa WILL be able to get that warranty from MINI, because of the low miles [I checked with MAG].

16. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    The OP I believe has an aftermarket warranty. Different from yours.

17. Ronbo

Ronbo New Member

Feb 10, 2013
    New Albany, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +106 / 0 / -0
    Purchased warranty at Germain Mercedes of Easton where I bought vehicle. It was one of the premiere warranties that they sell. Finance manager went over 3 or 4 plans and I chose this based on cost and coverage provided.

18. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    The kind that was eventually refused was really particular and I remember feeling uneasy when the rep started going over my MC with a fine-toothed comb. I was actually relieved when he said I didn't qualify, because in the end, I wondered what kind of "it's all included" really meant with them. When the rep left, I remember calling MAG that very day.... Iguess that's the difference between real policies where you can read them and then decide, versus those companies found on the internet who send their own "reps". Never again.

19. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    What newer MCSa????? Are you holding out on us jeff and not providing details of a new kid on the Welsh block???

20. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    Hmmmm...sometimes older IS newer, Mark...especially when this one has not even 27k yet. My MC has over 50k, and the Royal Grey MCSa has over 89k.
    Our third child is also an '06 MCSa, but bonestock. I bought it for my wife; hopefully, she will let me drive it sometime. :devil:

Crashton can tell you about it, since his input greatly influenced my getting the car.