1st Gen R53 Cooper S Strange whistle on acceleration

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by naucrx, Aug 3, 2011.

1. naucrx

naucrx New Member

Jul 27, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    No, I don't have a Bubb-Rubb whistle tip. However, I notice this loud high-pitch whistle when accelerating at moderate throttle. It does it with A/C on or off. If I mash the throttle it won't make the sound, but I'd like to get more than 20mpg heh. :(

Are there any problem areas I should take a look at?

I considered yanking the intercooler off and also reseating the intake to start, but it looks like I need to add a T-30 Torx socket to my toolbox first.

Thanks!

2. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    That is something the 1st gen S does. It is the throttle body whistling at part throttle.

It is more noticaeable with a CAI.

3. alwzopn

alwzopn New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I just installed an Alta CAI and I can confirm that there's a very high-pitched whistle at one or two throttle positions. I never noticed it before the CAI but now I do. It's not loud enough to hear with the radio on, so it doesn't really bother me that much... :)

4. naucrx

naucrx New Member

Jul 27, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Gotcha! That makes sense and is slightly disappointing at the same time. I just found a ton of people on another forum complaining about it. I'm running the Alta intake also, and it's pretty loud, like nails on a chalkboard.

Is there a different TB I can fit that won't whistle?
    Or am I looking at only getting a different intake?

That sound annoys the hell out of me, and I drive a lot, so it's got to get fixed before I go crazy. :(

5. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Go back to the OEM intake or the JCW intake and you'll be fine. If you look up the part in the catalog, it's actually called an intake muffler - part of the design is to reduce noise from the engine.

6. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Most folks just get used to it.......I did.

7. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    I have the JCW intake modified for better flow and mine whistle like crazy at WOT, I actually like it. The only comments I ever get are positive.

8. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Guess I'm lucky my JCW intake does not whistle. For that I am grateful. :D

9. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    #9 Firebro17, Aug 4, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
    My JCW whistles. I have removed the flap and cut the intake hole. I'm living with it for the added performance.

10. quikmni

quikmni Moderator

Jun 6, 2009
    Aerospace Engineer
    Orcutt, CA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    Instead of the Alta intake, I would switch to the JCW intake. It is a good flowing intake.
    I use the Mini Madness JCW filter instead of the expensive OEM paper filter.
    The JCW intake has a flap that opens at about 4500 RPM so you do not hear the whistle.

In my case, I removed the flap in an effort to gain more power, which did not happen. With the flap removed I can hear the whistle in certain conditions. My whistle is not too bad.

11. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Mine has the flapper. Guess that is why no whistles.

12. alwzopn

alwzopn New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Is anybody else getting a whistle at WOT? Mine only whistles when the pedal is maybe 1/4th of the way down, so only if I'm feathering the throttle in traffic or something like that.

The only thing I get with my CAI at WOT is a nice WHOOSH and the SC whine :Thumbsup:

13. quikmni

quikmni Moderator

Jun 6, 2009
    Aerospace Engineer
    Orcutt, CA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    I only get the loud supercharger whine at WOT. I like that sound.
    I only get the whistle at partial/light throttle. I usually notice it while cruising on the highway and I accelerate slightly. The whistle is a little annoying.

14. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Actually, I get 2 distinct whistles at different conditions. It depends on the air flow speed/volume over the whistle point (which is likely the TB). The whistle(s) depend on the throttle position and the rpm.
    A free flowing intake and exhaust will have a tendency to whistle more. A free flowing CAI specifically will additionally allow you to better hear the SC whine and any inadvertent whistle noise back through the intake path and filter.

15. naucrx

naucrx New Member

Jul 27, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Great responses so far, much appreciated! Although I am a little disheartened at what I'm reading both here and elsewhere. Seems this has been an issue for the R53 + CAI for many-a-moon. :(

I don't mind the supercharger whine sound at all, or any intake sucking sounds, but the whistle makes me want to gouge my ear drums with a #2 pencil. Perhaps its just the frequency that is bothersome as my other vehicle has a big turbo that is only slightly muffled by a K&N filter, yet it is actually audibly pleasing.

Has anyone had any luck with installing the DT BPV?

I may try that first as it is a bit cheaper than a JCW or stock intake-which I don't have.

16. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I have a stock intake & you are welcome to it. PM if you are interested.

17. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Well, that would certainly solve your problem. :cornut:

Jim

18. minimic

minimic New Member

Aug 4, 2011
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

i have an 06 MCS with the Alta CAI and mine whistled until i installed the DT BPV and it stopped. it also adds 1psi boost and is supposed to eliminate the yo-yo factor in MINIs. the DT BPV does hurt fuel economy a bit. i enjoy it and and have completely forgotten that it used to whistle. install it and be done with the whistle!

19. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Mine did the whistle at part throttle when I had the Dinan intake on it (as it would with any open intake). Drove me up the freakin wall. Switched to the JCW to mask the whistle and all is well. My JCW intake is stock except for an AMSoil nanofilter - has flap, etc. intact (otherwise I'd still hear the whistle).

This is a "feature"... because otherwise there's no reason MINI would have designed the JCW airbox with the RPM activated flap the way they did... it's designed to open at RPMs above where the undesirable whistle occurs. If the whistle weren't an issue, the JCW airbox would have been a lot like the Dinan airbox. :)

20. naucrx

naucrx New Member

Jul 27, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Awesome, this is exactly what I wanted to read. I love the Alta CAI but the high pitched whistle blows (pun intended).

I'd rather not go back to stock so if this doesn't work I think I'll be adding more JCW to the Cooper. :Thumbsup: