Brakes Wheels 1st Gen Tires Street pads that WON'T get destroyed at the track?

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by paulharmo, Apr 6, 2011.

1. paulharmo

paulharmo New Member

Feb 19, 2011
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    It's that time again - I need some new pads for my R53. I'm trying to get into the track scene these days, so most pads go out the window for everyday use (Hawk HPS, CT Bobcats, etc.). Is there even a pad that can stand up to several track days a year that is OK to run on the street, or should I be looking at 2 sets, one for street/autox, one for the track?

2. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: The 'heavy into racing' people down here in Texas,(if their track car is also a daily driver) put their race pads on before the race and put their street pads back on after the race. As an example: Green or Red Stuff=daily driver and Yellow Stuff=race pads. From your post I can tell that you already know that both jobs cannot be done by a single pad. I'm probably one of the few people around here that likes Green/Red/Yellow Stuff pads. The guys/gals will come up shortly and recommend other pads.:Thumbsup:

Jason:popcorn::popcorn:

3. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    I have an R53 and run my Hawk HPS pads on the street, through the twisties, at the Dragon, and to, at, and from the track 3-4 times a year at 2-day HPDEs with BMW CCA. I still run the original rotors and the pads are still good, too. I DO keep my fluids changed and have s/s brakelines.

4. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Look at two sets. If you're pushing it on the track, IMHO you're not going to find a dual duty pad.

The carbotech's are nice, in that if you run bobcats on the street, you can switch to the carbotech track pad (XP 8, 10 or 12) with a minimum amount of fuss and bother with regard to bedding in, as the compounds are similar.

5. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Some people manage with one set of brake pads, but it has nothing to do with the pads and everything to do with the driver. The rest of us use two sets, one for street and one for track.

6. paulharmo

paulharmo New Member

Feb 19, 2011
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    #6 paulharmo, Apr 7, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
    Sounds like Carbotechs are the way to go then... Are the Bobcats still good for things like Dragon thrashing? I tend to push pretty hard there - last time I went with fresh pads, I think I set fire to the anti-squeal compound :cornut:

EDIT: I may wait to get a set of track pads and just deal with HP+ for now... those CT pads are expeeeensive :O

7. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I did one Dragon with Bobcats and one with the XP's that I left on from a HPDE a week before and had no problems on either event

8. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    :Thumbsup:

I have done some track days with my DD pads and had no problems....BUT I was careful not to push them to hard.

I am now running the Cool Carbon pads from BavAuto and LOVE them. Great bite and nicely modulated. I haven't had a chance to do a track day on them, but I do push them hard on my local "Dragon" Hwy 242

9. paulharmo

paulharmo New Member

Feb 19, 2011
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I've looked all over the forums... and I con't seem to find any info about the Hawk HP+ pads. All the reviews I find are about the HPS, and they're almost all bad. So here's the new question of the day:

What are good, solid pads for daily/spirited/autocross/Dragon driving, but not necessarily track time?

10. andyroo

andyroo New Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Sep 8, 2009
    water science and mapping, and suspesnion and brak
    Columbia, MD
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    HP+ can be loud on the street. Lots of bite, okay fade resistance, but IMO not a great street pad and maybe an OKAY track pad. They're basically a street pad with a ton of bite that makes a lot of noise and can take a little bit of heat but not much.

2 pads make things easier.

A big driving factor should be your tire choice. If you're running r-comps then you really do need a dedicated track pad.

- andrew

11. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    If you take "autoX" out of your mix the Carbotech Bobcats would be the ticket

Great bite, low dust, durable

12. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    I used my Hawk HPS pads for daily driving and occasional track use (1 or 2 weekends a year). They will chew up quickly and are nowhere as heat resistant as my Wilwood BBK, but they did OK in green and my early experiences in blue (first two skill levels at my DE event provider).

You will chew through the pads quickly... maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of the total pad for each weekend, but it works fine for dual use if that is what you have available.

With the Wilwood BBK up front, I swap out my daily driving pads for track pads when I do a DE now... it's just so easy with the BBK... less than 10 min a wheel and most of that time is spent taking off and replacing the wheel itself. On the rears, I still run the Hawk HPS pads for street and track and love 'em. Those are such a PITA to swap, I never pull 'em until the pads are gone (avg: 2 years of street driving + 2-3 DE events) and then I'll put on new Hawk HPS pads and TSW (WMW) Rotors again.

13. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Think what should be gleaned from all this is that what is good for one might not be good for another.

Pad selection shouldn't only be a street - track decision. Selection should be based on the skill level of the Driver and the performance capabilities of the car. As you increase HP, handling and the grip of the tires, the demands on the pads increases too. So it does as we progress in our driving abilities; we drive in deeper, carry more speed through the turns and use the brakes more during the turn...

All things to be considered. What worked good enough when I first started is woefully inadequate now and what works good now, will probably become less and less adequate in the future if my driving continues to improve and my car gets stronger too... 2cents

14. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    #14 BThayer23, Apr 7, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
    Take a look at the Hawk stuff, too. They're known for less modulation and more of an on-off feel, but their newer DTC-60 pads will stand up to track day heat (P/N HB444 and HB445). Also consider Cobalt Friction, Raybestos ST-43, EBC (as Jason mentioned), and whatever else you can find.

I run Hawk HPS on the street for no particular reason other than $$, and the Performance Friction 01 compound on the track. They have pads that fit my TSW BBK, and I managed to scrounge up some rear PFC 01's. The rears must have been such a low production run that they didn't even bother with anti-rattle clips. They make a horrible sound driving to and from the track, but the lack of clips actually makes it easy to swap the rear pads. PFC does a lot of Porsche, BMW, and Mustang fitments, but not so much for the MINIs. I used to blow through 1/4 to 1/3 of a front pad when I was running Carbotech XP-12/XP-8, but I measured only 1mm of wear on the 01's (out of 12mm).

My advice is to talk to everyone about pads when you're at the track. Find someone with a similar driving style and ask what pads they're running. There really isn't a "best" pad for a particular car because it's mostly dependent on driver and cash flow.

15. UKCoopeR

UKCoopeR Active Member

May 21, 2009
    VA,USA and UK
    Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -0
    I have used Axxis ULT pads for street AutoX and the occasional track day. Not in the same field as proper track pads but decent enough for a HPDE every now and then. Just got some Carbotech AX6 pads as I will be doing a whole season of AutoX but I was going to leaving them on for the handful of trackdays I might end up doing.

16. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    I was SORELY disapointed in the HPS pads on my Mustang GT. Never gonna buy Hawk again.

I've been very happy every time I've picked up EBC pads. If you aren't gonna become a superstar on the track and you just want a decent pad that will work on the street I'd say EBC Greens. Good for DD, AutoX, and "spirited" street driving but consistent and fairly fade free on the track.

They aren't the BEST brake out there but they make a happy compromise. I'm too lazy (and not that good of a driver) to swap pads for "race" pads. I've actually been tracking on the OEM pads this year. They work alright. You just have to brake earlier (which slows your times down) than if you had better pads.

17. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    MINIMark said it well... The parts are good for some at skill level X and track X might not be so good at skill level Y and track Y.

In my earlier DE events, the Hawk HPS did well... Stainless lines and brass rear caliper bushings helped with a better feel as well. Good quality FRESH fluid is a must. After a few weekends in blue, my skill level and confidence was increasing and after 15 min, the Hawks were starting to fade pretty badly (on a 18 minute track session).

You know... a fair compromise might be to pick an all-purpose pad for the front and rrear brakes but then upgrade the front pads only to a track specific version before you go. The fronts are much easier/faster to do a swap on, so it might be worth it to you. The fronts do 70%+ of the braking anyway... it may save your street pads excess wear and give you better performance on your DE weekend without costing you tons of time on the garage floor.

18. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Actually do just that and run the CT XP8s on the rear all the time. They are a little dusty but hold up for a good while. Then put the 12s on the front for track. One thing to consider when doing that is brake bias; bought some HPS pads for the street :)() and they don't have the bite the XP8 does....so if in the twisties, trail braking can be tricky... Going to douche the HPS, may just get 8s for the front too.... Wish I could find something a little cheaper to use... We don't live but a few minutes from some GREAT roads and want a daily pad I can go have a quick evening run with, without having to change pads... The HPS gives me no confidence at all.

19. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    What about Bobcats up front? Thats what I use for daily driving, and XP12's on the track. The Bobcats are MUCH gentler on the rotor than XP8's are going to be.

I'm surprised the XP8's are messing up your brake bias though on the rear though--they need a little heat to bite. I have them on my rears and leave them on all the time too, same excuse, laziness...

20. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    It's not real bad, especially until things get heated up and then the HPS stop working very well at all. Bobcats definately would be better but 8s would be even better.... Guess I'm spoiled to the 12s and the weight transfer during turn in...and not having to use so much peddle pressure...