R56 Cooper S Most liked posts in thread: Stumped!

1. Tigger2011

Tigger2011 Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Male
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    If your going to change those lines (which I would recommend) I would pull the exhaust manifold and turbo off as one assembly. Once you do that the heavens will part and angels will sing as its a lot easier. Changing the gasket without that or putting it in service mode will have you thinking about places further down and a wee bit hotter. Drain the coolant and oil the night before, make sure the mating surfaces are clean and dry. I recommend when you reassemble place a THIN coat of black RTV around the outside of the gasket. Make sure not to get any on the areas inside the seal. Do it right and that place further down will freeze over before it leaks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    That is the same thing my R58 did. It should be a bad valve cover. Check for cracks. Also you could spray some carburetor cleaner on suspected places and see if it changes the idle.
    I agree with @Crashton, On the old filter housing. I have had to replace it on my R53 also.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. vetsvette

vetsvette MINI Alliance Ambassador

Nov 9, 2013
    South Central Virginia
    Ratings:
    +1,937 / 0 / -0
    Just a suggestion, but while you've got it apart you may as well replace your turbo oil lines. That's another common source for leaks on 2nd Gen cars. The DT Super Kit has everything you need to replace the "O" ring/gaskets and turbo oil lines. Much better parts than OEM.
    https://www.detroittuned.com/dt-turbo-oil-line-super-kit/

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  4. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I'm just spit balling here, but I just had to have the front crank seal replaced on my wife's MINI. Her engine is an N12. Also the leaking oil took out the crank damper, it swelled due to oil contamination. I'd check that seal.

Welcome to M/A

5. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    You have an N14 engine. Check the PVC hose that goes from the passenger side of the valve cover down to where it goes into the Intake manifold. Make sure it is connected well and not leaking. I have had my R58 JCW have this hose come off and through the same code. In my case I don't thank I had it connected well, on a shift at redline it blow off. If you or someone els have put a block in that line to stop intake valve coking GET IT OUT! This cause high crank case pressure and will cause all sorts of oil leaks. Ask how I know.:D

Have you done any mods to the car?

6. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    If you let us know where you live we may be able to point you to a trustworthy & competent MINI tech. Sorry I'm not more help.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    The oil filter housing to block is a know leak point for oil. That has been replaced on our MINI as well.

I don't know of anyone in your area who works on these cars, but maybe someone will chime in with a suggestion.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Tigger2011

Tigger2011 Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Male
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    If your in Miami give Luis at Precision Auto Werks a call. They specialize in Mini and BMW and he is extremely good at what he does. www.pawmotorsport.com. Their off of NW 25th Street near the international airport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. Visionary44

Visionary44 New Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Male
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Tigger2011, much appreciated! Will keep everyone posted.

10. Visionary44

Visionary44 New Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Male
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Update!

Took it over to Luis at Precision (thank you @Crashton), and sure enough it's a leaky oil filter housing.... and the oil filter valve on the "new" valve cover had a defect and wasn't "seating" correctly.. Luis said I could probably change out the housing myself, but it can be a bit challenging. I already have to put on a new vacuum pump, so fair to say I might as well continue and give the housing a shot?

I understand from a few forums and videos that you don't need to remove the turbo, just everything around it. And also wondering if I can get away with the just changing the gaskets, versus spending the $200-300 on a housing unit..

Anyone on here do it themselves, thoughts?

All in all I would be looking at $700+ for mechanic, or say $300 and a few busted knuckles :)...

Thanks

11. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    I would think just the gasket would be fine.

12. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    When the one on Babs clubster was repaired it was only the gasket. According to the guy who did the work it's a real bear of a job.

13. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Helix did mine on my R53 and it’s a pain in the ass to do without a lift. Also it is a real ball buster because of the tight area you have to work in.

14. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    I did it on my R53 but I had the subframe down so it was easy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. Sully

Sully Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Welcome to MA.

So this started after you changed the seal in the vacuum pump? I assume you have checked that to confirm its installed correctly? A few other quick items to check:
    1) Oil Dipstick is unseated
    2) Oil filler cap not properly screwed in.

Otherwise, its a vacuum leak. Sounds like you've checked everything from the airbox back. You could do a smoke test or as a last resort, cleaning the MAF... the MAF suggestion I'm not 100% sure on.

16. Visionary44

Visionary44 New Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Male
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Thanks so much for the response!

Yes, after replacing the o-ring. Don't think I installed wrong, it went back pretty easy. I made sure to keep the internals aligned.

One thing I didn't notice after added a little oil was that the oil cap spun all the way around.... You could feel it "seat" firmly, but a little more pressure to tighten would cause it to spin around until it "reseated". I can't recall my old manifold doing this, could it be possible the manifold cover is defective causing a loss of pressure?

17. Visionary44

Visionary44 New Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Male
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Forgot to add that the car doesn't feel like it's reduced much by way of power, it's pretty responsive. I haven't pushed it since I'm not sure what's going on...

18. Sully

Sully Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Hmm.. I don’t remember mine “spinning” like that. I would have to check when I get back home but that sounds like a problem.

19. Visionary44

Visionary44 New Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Male
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Quick update.....took a look under the car and found fresh oil all over the pan and on the passenger side. This was not there before, and have verified the new valve cover is not leaking up top. Oil is clean from recent change, is it possible something came loose underneath? Besides the pan itself, where else could this oil being coming from??

Thank you!

20. Visionary44

Visionary44 New Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Male
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Thanks to all for your recommendations!! So I just came in from spending most of the day trying to figure this thing out.....errr!

So on the crankcase thought, I did pull off the inner wheel well and it didn't look like anything more than a Mini with 74k miles. I also rechecked torque specs for manifold, oil pan, vacuum pump, and just about everything else. I then did a hose down with brake cleaner and cleaned up all the areas possible to try and see "fresh" oil and where it was coming from (including all around the crank case seal).

Let the car run and get good and hot and crawled back underneath, low and behold no oil around the crankcase seal, or on the passenger side.... maybe the tightening helped something? However, on the drivers side near the oil pan and above the turbo pipe I found a steady leak (pictures attached) that is not coming from the pan itself. It's below the oil filter housing and vacuum pump (which don't seem to be leaking). It runs down from somewhere then around the hole (indention), and then down to the seem as you can see from the pics. I just can't pinpoint from where... (Note: I look at the top end and didn't see any leaks anywhere)

Still getting the 1497 code, really don't know what this can be.... Possible defective valve cover? The car idles good, but every 20-30 secs the idle stutters a little then recovers. When you hold at a steady 4k rpm it sounds good with no hesitation...

Really hate to take it in because I know it's probably something I could fix if I could just pinpoint both issues....

Attached Files: