Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S Supercharger dilemma

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by hbegebz, Apr 13, 2011.

1. hbegebz

hbegebz New Member

Sep 11, 2010
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    So after a drive by interpretation of some noise coming off the top of the motor bay, the mini tech there out the need for a new supercharger (sc).
    While I realize he didn't really take a hard look at it, his initial assessment spooked me and got me thinking. To this I ask you opioid and direction.

Stella is an 04 MCS with 83k miles. She's been a low maint pleasure to own and I would love to pass her on down the family. My dilemma is if I replace her sc should I go refurb or new and if so what should I expect cost wise.
    If I decide that the long term benefits are there is this something that can be done at my local mini speed shop (DFW area) or is this a recommended mini repair.

The other side of the coin is say good bye appropriately and get into and R55.

Any and all feed back on this are welcome!

Mahalo
    Hbegebz

2. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    I would get a second opinion. I know people around here [on MA] who have a LOT more miles that that, and on older MINIs, too. However, you need to tell us where you are, because sometimes climates DO enter into the way cars deteriorate.

3. hbegebz

hbegebz New Member

Sep 11, 2010
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Current location is Dallas Ft. Worth, Texas

4. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    If you do decide to replace the S/C then go see Will at Bob's Tire and Auto in Lewisville. He has the experience with MINI's to the job.

Also might want to check out MetroplexMINI.org , they are a very active club in the D/FW area.

5. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: Just me and I'm not an expert BUT, the R55 Clubman in nonturbocharged/normally aspirated form seems to have little in the way of drive train problems but is (my opinion)under powered. The MCS and JCW platforms have plenty of power but come with growing pain problems(new French Prince engine 07-now as opposed to previous R50-53 02-06 Chrysler Brazilian made Tritec/Pentagon engine). In my 08 R56 MCS/JCW @40kmi(so far) timing chain tension oiler replaced, right front axle seal replaced, oil filter housing to block seal replaced, and the head gasket replaced. Now ONE MONTH LATER, the head gasket appears to have blown again.:mad2::frown2::incazzato::mad5: Her appointment at Mini of Dallas is Mon 18Apr11. Were I you, I would strongly consider a rebuild until BMW/MINI gets the engine kinks worked out. In the DFW area, the best place to get good unbiased advice as to shops etc is: Metroplex Mini.com . A Mini club in your area.:Thumbsup:

Jason:popcorn::popcorn:

6. moreorless

moreorless New Member

Aug 17, 2009
    In a pile of sawdust.
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    I believe "new" superchargers are no longer available. Refurbished is all there is.

...Les

7. rgc0233

rgc0233 New Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    SC

How about one off of a low-mileage salvage car?

8. hbegebz

hbegebz New Member

Sep 11, 2010
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Super impressed by all the feedback received.
    Seriously, you guys are great. Thank you all! Truth be told I was a bit down on the drive home thinking I may have to say goodbye to my ride. I'm taking the stance of keeping Stella for future generations! I'm also going to get more active on metroplex mini now that I have a renewed intrest in turning my own wrenches every now and again.

Mahalo Nui!
    Hb

9. geowit

geowit New Member

Oct 13, 2010
    retired
    PA
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    My '04 is just under 170K and still on the original S/C. I was talking to a gal last week with 140K and she had the original S/C also. She did have a belt tensioner replaced but not the S/C. Your mileage sounds very low to have a failure (although not impossible). I would definitely get a second opinion.

10. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
  11. Stinkypete85

Stinkypete85 New Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My SC failed at 110k. I did ALOT of research and have heard of them failing anywhere from 50k to nearly 200k. After all my research I went with getting mine rebuilt by auto x cooper
    check them out at autoxcooper.com . Watch this video and you'll see why. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLugkfUDY3c&feature=player_embedded]MINI Cooper S M45 Supercharger rebuild charger rebuilt Eaton Sprintex pulley water pump - YouTube[/ame]

12. Ofioliti

Ofioliti New Member

May 9, 2009
    Professor
    ... always curious
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    In anticipation of the future failure of my SC, I also came across these guys:

Stiegemeier Pricing Schedule

Scroll down to the MINI rebuild/repair pricing. Several MINI owners have apparently used them and have been satisfied.

13. KC Jr 54

KC Jr 54 New Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Machine Operator
    Tyler, TX
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Several MINI owners, and thousands of Ford and GM guys over the years. Steigmeister is at the top of my list personally, as you cant really replace a decade or two of knowledge w/ these Eatons.

14. 90intherain

90intherain New Member

Sep 17, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Stay away from Bob's. I'm in DFW area. One of our club members recently did a SC service on his own. Time consuming but not difficult. Shoot me a PM if you're not a club member yet for direction.

15. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    Hey! That was me!

It is definately possible by a home mechanic if you have a garage that you can spare to be tied up for a few days. Not only did I do the work, but it was also turned into a 20-page write-up (well.... most of that is pictures) and was posted in the Motoring Alliance library: http://www.motoringalliance.com/library/1st-generation-mini-cooper-how-to-3/supercharger-oil-service--oil-pan-gasket-100/

16. Jan

Jan Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

May 16, 2010
    Ratings:
    +382 / 0 / -0
    stay away from ported chargers.........most are worse than just rebuilt ones.........we have dyno'd many of them