+7,891 / 10 / -3
  2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    I'm not sure. I have delt a lot with Chad at DT. He is a great guy. I believe Way has a good reputation too I just have not delt with them before.

3. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Many SC rattle a bit...the lobes are very tightly fit...can sound a bit like an eggbeater....
    The "bad" sound is more like a draggly chain sound....
    One tip...SC rattle and throwout bearing rattle is sometimes confused...
    So sit in the car...push the clutch in...see if you sound goes away...if so..its the clutch/throwout bearing...

4. ZippyNH

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    If the SC is low enough on oil to have metal on metal unlubed gears, then the seals are bad...just changing/adding oil, about a 5 hr job (for a pro, more for a diy'r) plus about $50-100 in gaskets+lube would be a waste IMO...
    If you are going to dig deep enough to remove a SC, IMO, you should get it overhauled or exchange it...I think I have seen more threads on post diy "fixes" having to do with vac leaks and other issues here than it has saved folks...
    If it is a SC gear issue it will worsen rapidly...but many rebulders INCLUDE the PTO rebuild in the basic cost...they SHOULD since this is WHY many SC fail....and while you are at it...swap the WATERPUMP too...

But enjoy your car, have fun, and give it some time IMO. Many folks go temporarily OCD reading about issues on forums with a new car...
    Sure some cars are sold cause issues might be looming...but often folks get worried about a new car...

5. ColinGreene

ColinGreene Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

May 15, 2009
    Male
    Orange county Ca
    Ratings:
    +293 / 0 / -0
    Use a long screw driver up against the nose cone to listen to it, see if its the supercharger for certain.

6. BlwnAway

BlwnAway Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    Ratings:
    +314 / 0 / -0
    #11 BlwnAway, Aug 10, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
    Unless it's really bad/loud/noticeable, you probably have plenty of time, I drove mine for nearly 20k before I changed it, just keep an eye on it until you don't feel comfortable driving it. As mentioned before, watch your temp, the noise is most likely the W/P gears, (99% of the time) and yes the sound will transfer to the nose cone, but because this is normally the issue, besides overheating, you won't damage your motor itself even if you drive it until it drops, any metal shavings will stay in the housing.

7. fishmonger

fishmonger Well-Known Member

May 13, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Ratings:
    +895 / 0 / -0
    change the oil in the thing and get another 50k miles out of it. Not too hard to do. Takes a day of tearing into it if you've never taken the front end of the car apart. Watch ModMini's SC oil change and front end service videos on Youtube to give yourself some confidence that you, too, can do this in your own garage. Other than the #%@! intake tube it was pretty easy. Having the right tools and wiggle extensions helps. I'll be changing my SC oil every year from now on.

While in there, fix the usually leaky crank position sensor O ring and dip stick O-ring, replace the water pump, and then bolt it all back up.

8. TimmyTurner

TimmyTurner New Member

Aug 6, 2015
    Las Vegas
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    it's definitely the supercharger. it sounds like metal on metal, but the car doesn't overheat and it's not super loud. not sure. I'll continue to drive it until something breaks i suppose.

9. TimmyTurner

TimmyTurner New Member

Aug 6, 2015
    Las Vegas
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I was looking at the one that way sells for 1100 bucks. Would the detroit one be a better choice?

10. TimmyTurner

TimmyTurner New Member

Aug 6, 2015
    Las Vegas
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'll keep that in mind. the car drives fine and doesn't do anything weird. Just that slight rattle. It's not as loud as others i've heard. So i'll see what happens in two months. Lol

11. TimmyTurner

TimmyTurner New Member

Aug 6, 2015
    Las Vegas
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I used a stethoscope :) it's where the noise is coming from, but I can't replace the supercharger quite yet. The mechanic in our mini club said to just drive it for a while. There's not much I can do to get away from it.

12. TimmyTurner

TimmyTurner New Member

Aug 6, 2015
    Las Vegas
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The problem for me is finding somewhere to do it. I'm missing a few tools but I can borrow those. hopefully it'll last another month or so and then i will just replace it with a blower from the 05-06 mini :fingerscrossed:

13. BlwnAway

BlwnAway Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    Ratings:
    +314 / 0 / -0
    Just remember, while the '05 and later SC's are slightly mite desirable because of having coated rotors, they still suffer from the same issue, anything I've 125k or so will still give you the same problem, if you can't do as "Fish" suggested, just start putting money side for a rebuilt unit, you'll be looking at at least another 100k out of one of those.

14. TimmyTurner

TimmyTurner New Member

Aug 6, 2015
    Las Vegas
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So I poked around the car a little more today, and I used a stethoscope to listen. The rattle isn't on the supercharger (yes my mistake). its most prominent on the tensioner, which is brand new. Dad said it sounds like it's coming from the left side of the motor where the pulleys are. It's definitely not timing chain rattle. He thinks it's the idler pulley. Any idea on what a dying idler pulley sounds like? its not a squeal. Just that chattering noise. He said the pulley looks like it's trying to move when i rev the car slightly.

15. ZippyNH

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Two questions...
    When you rev it to near redline...does it squeal a bit?
    I'm wondering if you have a belt that might be too loose...and
    What size belt do you have?
    I generally suggest a 532 with a 17%, a 535 with a 15% if you have the stock size crank damper...
    A failing idler should sound like a bad bearing..whirr...
    Guess it's possible the little gas strut on your new damper failed...infant mortality....

16. clifforddward

clifforddward Active Member

Dec 2, 2013
    Cary, North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    There are a bunch of aftermarket and OEM vendors of the belt tensioner for the Mini, some apparently better than others judging by posts over the years...always buy from a reputable dealer...and the idler pulley is an often overlooked item. I replaced mine at 95k miles although it had no symptoms...when I removed it I noticed it was certainly worn compared to the new one that replaced it...I should have replaced it earlier I think.

As so many things on our Minis, better to replace before failure...cheap insurance to keep you off the side of the road...

17. TimmyTurner

TimmyTurner New Member

Aug 6, 2015
    Las Vegas
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have a 15% With the 535 belt. When you Rev the car that high it just makes normal noises. It's a definite rattle. It's loudest on the belt side but I don't think it's timing chain. I'm not sure. I'm quite stumped. :confused:

18. Eric@Helix

Eric@Helix New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 4, 2009
    Shepherd
    Philadelphia
    Ratings:
    +1,257 / 0 / -0
    The idler pulley is easy and cheap to replace. That's one part I'd almost recommend just throwing at the car to eliminate it from the list of potential noise-makers.

A note on diagnosing a supercharger: the M45 charger is a very noisy piece, even when brand new. If you're using a stethoscope or pry bar to listen to bearing noise, you might be fooled by all of the noise.

19. TimmyTurner

TimmyTurner New Member

Aug 6, 2015
    Las Vegas
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I replaced the belt tensioner with an oem part because I get discounts at the local dealers. I'm just really stumped. It's a grinding noise that you only hear on the tensioner. Nowhere else. It's definitely on that side of the motor, but I don't think it's timing chain. :confused:

20. TimmyTurner

TimmyTurner New Member

Aug 6, 2015
    Las Vegas
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    UPDATE. I put the car up on some jack stands and took the front right wheel off. There is a definite wirring/ticking from the idler pulley. While I'm in there I'm going to replace the timing chain tensioner just because. Hopefully that fixes it.