1st Gen R53 Cooper S Supercharger oil change R52, R53

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by bintliff25, May 5, 2012.

1. bintliff25

bintliff25 New Member

Feb 2, 2011
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I have been researching the issues with the Eaton (M45), Supercharger
    as I run a 19% pulley and tend to spin the supercharger faster than most.
    As I have noted the issues, of the various failures. bearings, the drainage
    of oil and the destruction on gears in the rear (water pump), lost of rotor coating, etc.
    As I researched this, I wonder why the oil was never changed,
    and how it could last 100,000 miles (If I am remembering correctly, this is what I was told by the Mini dealer), Eaton recommendation to change every 25,000 miles, as does GM with there OEM supercharged cars.
    If the oil was changed, would this extend the life, of the Super charger (like the engine and the regular oil changes) ?

I believe it would, On my quest, to find out "How to do this", I found that
    there are two areas that the oil would need to be changed. The front Known as the PTO or the nose ( the area nearest the pulley), and the rear I call the "Water Pump" Gears.
    The other thing, could this be done without having to remove the supercharger for the engine? As it is not a simple task.

I found that the front (PTO) could be done by removing the drain plug and extracting it, (small hose, and a large syringe tube). Some what of a pain.
    But it could be done without removing it from the engine.
    The rear "water pump" gears is not reachable, (without removing the super charger from the engine), so I thought. A company Imperial Mini, Imperial MINI makes a hydraulic pipe and fittings, (kinda like the AC hose to extract, and recharge the freon), once the item is installed, you can change the oil "water pump" gears, with the out removing the supercharger.
    I got to see this item, at MOTD 2012, and a demo. From Shaun Green. and mounted in a car, I now own one. (under $300 for the kit, for front and rear and super charger oil).

The oil that is extracted is black, smells bad and has (I believe metal in it)
    from my 2003 R53 with 70K miles. My belief is that the metal causes the wear to other metal parts, gears, bearings, seals causing them to fail.
    The smell is from the oil has gone beyond its life cycle (way beyond).
    If I did my engine oil like this, I'm sure my car engine would not last.

I would recommend this as I sure, it's a Preventative Maintenance measure,
    opposed to the other options:
    a rebuild $800-$1800
    a replacement (aftermarket Sprintex, Eaton TVS) $2900-$3600
    A OEM MINI replacement (approx. $2900)
    A Junk Yard ( $500-$2000) and a gamble, if it's good, how long?

This is before the labor to remove, and install cost.
    Did a failed supercharger cause other engine failures, (over heating, warped head, cracked block and or head)?

Just something to keep in mind, thought I pass it on to others.
    Regards

2. Newbs49

Newbs49 New Member

May 23, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Are they going to post their kit for everyone to see or become a vendor

Also you have a PM on NAM about a used supercharger

3. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    Please share a photo of access tubes installed.

Clear supercharger lube from GM has an odor to begin with, as does the factory fill. Because there is no exposure to combustion by-products there will be no odor or color imparted from normal operation as in an engine. Oil extracted from the supercharger gear lube reservoirs regardless of mileage will have a translucent amber character if the gears and seals are healthy. Darkening beyond amber indicates damage.

4. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Well, I'm of the opinion that it can't hurt, but I am curious about the comment about other companys requiring changes at 25K intervals - I've never heard that before - but it could explain why Chevy dealers carry the oil and MINI dealers don't. (generally)

I changed the oil on a 175K supercharger and it was black as night, but the bearings were still smooth, there was no indication of play or wear on anything - so I simply poured in the new oil and reinstalled it - it's still going strong today.

5. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    From Eaton:
    Q: How often do I need to change the oil in my supercharger?
    A: The sealed oil reservoir in a supercharger is designed to last the life of the vehicle. Changing the oil is not recommended unless you suspect contamination, leakage, or other issues like bearing failure. Also, if your vehicle has an abnormally heavy duty cycle, such as racing or towing, you could consider changing the oil at regular intervals such as 20k, 30k, 50k, or 100k miles depending on usage.

The common problem with our OEM M45 is loss of lube, and the only way to know the level is by replacing the fluid, or failure if too late. There are other wear related issues of course.

6. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Someone simply needs to come up with a way to check, remove and fill the oil w/o tearing the front of the car apart.....

7. 1972Austin

1972Austin New Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Yorktown, Va
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I did ours when we changed the water pump just for security. I know that I'll have to do it again sometime since the rear gears didn't have that much and the rotors had some residue. Think I'll send it to Steggy for a port and rebuild when the head and cam happens.

Shawn

8. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    I talked with Shaun (Imperial MINI) at MOTD also, got the demo, asked some questions, looked at the install on the car. Very clever what he worked out IMHO. The access tube comes up between the valve cover and the air intake hose. It wouldn't look out of place to someone not intimately familiar with 1st gen MINI engine.

I have a spare SC on a shelf and plan to install it this summer around 125k. I think I'll install one of Shaun's systems at the same time. The setup is very repeatable in terms of being able to measure the quantity of oil extracted and replaced. It doesn't extract 100% of the oil, but gets close enough that you can evaluate whether you're "losing" oil to seal leakage.

Shaun's system is one of those things that perhaps looks like it should be less expensive, but I think it's probably a pretty good value given the R&D effort he has put into it and the lack of viable alternatives. Seems to be a simple and effective solution.

9. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    I can't see any way to install the kit without removing the supercharger, and if it's not leaking, changing the oil once should carry you for a very long time, shouldn't it?

IOW, I never thought of this as a routine maint. item unless you're putting on 100K miles a year.

Again, I pulled a 175K super, changed the oil and it's still going strong and from what I can tell it will go another 170K with clean oil.

Nasty smelling stuff that oil is!

10. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    IMHO, the problem is less freshness / longevity of the oil, versus failure of the seals. It appears that the vast majority of failed SC's are due to oil depletion due to seal failure. And most of the ones I'm aware of died well before 100k miles.

While you MIGHT get lucky and have one of the SC's that never fails... you might also not get so lucky. For me, the device would provide the peace of mind to periodically check the oil fill level without removing the SC every time. If you're a paranoid preventative maintainer like me, that's a good thing. If you're more of a "I hope mine is a good one" types, then it's probably not for you (not that there's anything wrong with that). :wink:

11. bintliff25

bintliff25 New Member

Feb 2, 2011
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Just back from the MOTD 12,
    The product is a maintenance item,(I believe it's called an MCS recharger (kinda odd name)) I believe the idea to try and extend the life of the super charger,
    by changing the oil more often, (like an oil change for your car engine), it gives the ability to change the rear (water pump) oil after it's installed.
    The front snout/pulley can be changed, while the supercharger is still in the engine, (without the kit), but not the back. (That is while mounted on the engine).
    The oil I pulled out of front (snout \pulley side), and the rear (PTO\water pump side) was black and smelled like something died.
    The oil is going to be analyzed for the composition, and it's condition, but I believe it will take a week or two. I plan on posting the info. after I get it.

My 03 MCS has 19% Pulley and 72K miles, History of Supercharger, 35K as a JCW superchager and JCW 11% pulley. 35K with 19% Pulley, 2K with 15% Pulley.
    I did note that the coating on the rotors was peeling back, at the tips 1/2" back. from the rotors tips. but know noted unusual issue sounds or problems.
    I will be posting some pics.

12. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    What is the cost of this system and any pics?

13. bintliff25

bintliff25 New Member

Feb 2, 2011
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Cost Approx. $300

14. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Pic's are too small to see much, at least for these old bi-focal eyes.......lol

I assume this req's the car to be put into service mode to install?

15. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    #15 Metalman, May 9, 2012
    Last edited: May 9, 2012
    ^^^ Did you go to their web site? Click media.....
    Imperial MINI

Even my tired old eyes can see it without my glasses on.....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    The ones on the site are almost as small and I didn't see the first one at all.......lol

Was hoping to see one w/o the IC in place.

Oh and......:prrr:

17. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    Did you click on the small picture? When I did that it brought me to full size picture.

18. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Man.... Some people.... You just gotta hold their hands.....

Oh Crikey.... Sorry Scott, I forgot you can't click to enlarge.....

[​IMG]

19. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    I did.....! and it didn't.....! (at least not very much........:biggrin5:)

20. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    My 2 cents...

Since you pretty much need to tear down the car to get to the S/C to add this bit and for the most part an R52/53 is going to have higher miles, then since you are in there why just add this item. Change the seals too. If you have a seal going bad and leaking the S/C oil won't putting a vacuum on the seal to remove and add oil with this tool just potentially make things work. Since this is something you would only do 80K+ miles anyway and you would not need to get in there again till say 160K+ miles why spend the money on this item. That is my thought.