1st Gen R53 Cooper S Supercharger oil change R52, R53

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by bintliff25, May 5, 2012.

1. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    #21 agranger, May 10, 2012
    Last edited: May 10, 2012
    I'd be concerned about getting a proper fill level as well. Both of the resivoirs are the 'fill until oil dribbles back out of the hole when the supercharger is flat on a bench' style, but the supercharger mounts at a slight angle when on the car, possibly over or under filling. With the fill tube going up to the top of the engine, I don't know how you would know for sure. I had an oil volume for each side from Eaton, but I only got all of the old oil out by tipping and rotating the supercharger.

Looks like an interesting idea, but Jango doesn't see the track often enough for me to think about this. I'll just do a tear-down every 5 years or so, which will give me a good chance to check everything else out at the same time.

A link to the how-to I did several months ago: http://www.motoringalliance.com/library/1st-generation-mini-cooper-how-to-3/supercharger-oil-service--oil-pan-gasket-100/#axzz1uUacfZry

2. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    For me it seems like a decent enough idea, but when you figure in the cost of that thing & what it takes to install it I'll just have my supercharger serviced every 100,000 miles or so.

3. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    I asked about this specifically. Shaun has thought it through. He has measured exactly how much oil is supposed to come out, how much is left below the fill hole when the supercharger is at the installed angle, what the volume is to fill with, how much the tube itself holds at that angle, etc. You do everything by the volume metrics. IIRC you're effectively doing about an 85-90% change at this angle. He knows exactly how much you *should* be able to draw out if there has been no oil depletion/leakage. So it's a viable way to see if you have leaky seals periodically without pulling the supercharger to check it.

I agree, it's not for everyone. But here are my options as I see them:
    1) wait until my supercharger fails, then do something about it and wait until it fails again
    2) pull the supercharger periodically and check the oil level. Since, when the seals fail, it seems that the oil depletion can happen rather quickly, you'd have to do this frequently to have high probability of "catching it".
    3) periodically swap the supercharger for one with new seals and hope they hold until you do it again. Since I know people who have had failures on low mileage cars, that's not a guarantee for a trouble-free future.
    4) install the kit the next time I'm in there (when I install my newish charger as PM) and have the ability to check oil level from time to time, and take action if I find the oil level to be low. Change oil at reasonable intervals.

If you value money over your time, pull the SC periodically and check.
    If you value your time over money, install the kit and periodically check.
    If you'd rather just take your chances, do neither.

Pretty simple decision matrix. :)

4. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    When my SC comes off, it will not go back on with out this or some way to change out the fluid... 2cents

5. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    I was thinking the same thing. The one thing I worry about is there are a few connections in the kit that could also leak. Depending on it there are internals that can't take heat perhaps some silver solider to insure leak free joints? What do you think?

6. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    May take a little more work to get to than this but I was thinking more on the lines of couple holes drilled and tapped and then plugs like the transmission. But I have not studied it that closely yet.

7. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Mr. Jim,

Looked pretty sound, but a reasonable thought, for sure.
    Theoretically, the unit should see neither pressure nor vacuum, so I don't anticipate a problem... but would definitely keep an eye on it.

Mark - challenge will be getting access. Effectively what Shaun did is use the existing hole. You could drill more... but you still wouldn't be able to access them without something similar to his setup.

8. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I though it was a very good set up but not woth the money for a SC with with 75K on it.
    I will wait to replace mine and add one at that time on a new SC.

My $.02

9. Rawhyde

Rawhyde Active Member

Apr 7, 2012
    Facilities Engineer
    Mountains of NW Georgia
    Ratings:
    +233 / 0 / -0
    I am getting ready for an intensive PM program on my MINI. (New SC, water pump, belt, idler, tensioner, crank pulley, oil pan & valve cover gaskets, etc.). I'm thinking that this might just be the trick to keeping a SC well maintained with a minimum of muss and fuss. I saw a few comments that say this isn't worth the cost... Maybe I'm reading too fast, but I'm not seeing the cost for this kit. Can anyone set me straight?

Rawhyde

10. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    I believe it's like 300.00 check the website though for actual.

11. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    $290 IIRC

And Rawhyde, that exactly the kind of thing I'm going to do later this year. I have a SC on the shelf, oil pan and AT pan gaskets, etc. I've already replaced idler and tensioner and water pump in the past. I'll check all that stuff, replace all rubber sensor seals (except for a few new ones), etc.

How many miles are you at?

12. Rawhyde

Rawhyde Active Member

Apr 7, 2012
    Facilities Engineer
    Mountains of NW Georgia
    Ratings:
    +233 / 0 / -0
    I have 97K miles on a 2005 JCW and thankfully I have no symptpms of any problems. Once all this work is done, I should be in pretty good shape considering that I've used full synthetic and changed it on 2500 mile intervals since Day 1. Does anyone know if it's possible to replace the timing chain guides/tensioner with the engine still in the car. Seems like a chain rubbing against a plastic guide would eat up the guide over 100K miles.

Right now, I'm trying to decide on all the tasks I want to accomplish and start gathering up parts. I'm also seriously considering adding a MaxJax to my shop. That'd make this (and all subsequent) jobs easier.

Rawhyde

13. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    Yes.

The bottom half of what needs to be removed.
    [​IMG]