Pre Migration Survey Says!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Minidave, Mar 11, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Every time I sign on now I get this little pop-in window that slides in from the left side and asks me to take a survey. is there anyway I can do to get it to stop this, and/or is it important to Motoring Alliance that it be there?

It's annoying, and I don't take web surveys - ever. Shoot, I refuse to get sucked into Facebook games - or even the timeline!

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Hmm...I had no idea. It's not from the site, it must be part of an ad that is showing on the left side. The next time you see it can you please take note of what the ad content is on the left side of the page. I have that kind of stuff blocked in Google's AdSense. SOmething must be squeaking through.

3. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Thanks, I didn't think it was something you did on purpose....I'll try and get a screenshot of it next time.

4. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Think I figured it out. I saw one today. Looks like is coming from an ad for .NET

I've contacted the company I use for the block to try and learn more.

5. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Excellent - so I wasn't just going crazy then....hope you get it sorted out, I haven't seen it since I posted.

BTW, if it had been something M/A was doing on purpose I was prepared to just live with it, since it only took one click to get rid of it, but I hoped that wasn't the case.

6. jcauseyfd

jcauseyfd New Member

May 25, 2009
    Graham, NC
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    .NET makes sense. The survey had to do with domain registrations.

7. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I finally had a chance to see it again. I've obtained what I think is the address for the survey and have added it to the blocked listing in Google Adsense. May take a day or two before it goes away.

8. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    I haven't seen it since I posted the orignal post.....

Thanks!

BTW, how do you suppose it got here in the first place?

9. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Besides the advertising by the site sponsors there are 2 blocks along the left side of the page that are seen by all but premium members. These blocks contain ads served by 2 ad networks, one being Google adsense, the other is Martini Media. These ads could be for about anything. They vary depending on the subject matter of the page, your location and lots of other factors that only Google knows. The .Net people bought a campaign that is delivered by Google Adsense.

I have setup filters on certain types of categories, mostly on the types I don't think suit the nature of the site. Cosmetic Procedures & Body Modification, Dating, Get Rich Quick, Politics and Religion are all blocked. I can also block individual campaigns as I see them too. I use that to block ads from other MINI related vendors that use Google's adsense but are not site supporters. I don't it's fair for them to "sneak in" like that.

Probably a heck of a lot more than you really wanted to know.

Oh...Those that are not registered and are viewing the site as a guest see even more advertising. Things like a banners after the first post in a thread and a big square ad where the sig would go in the first post of a thread.

All in all it's still less than some other sites in the MINI realm.

10. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Well I have seen the ad blocks of course, and I should have put 2 & 2 together and realized it came from one of those, but usualy those are car related ads, from what I've seen....

11. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Yep, usually they are automotive related. I've tried to weed the junk out.

I've learned a heck of lot about how all this works over the past three years since bringing M/A online. If you like I could bore you to tears on the subject :)