SUV Takes Flight from Heat Buckled Road

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Nathan, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Extreme heat buckled a highway in Wisconsin over the weekend causing a car to fly through the air in a scene that looked more like a Hollywood movie stunt.

The accident, which happened on Highway 29 near Eau Claire, was captured on video by Theresa Reich as she was trying to film the buckled road.

“From the overpass we could see the big divots, but we’d stopped to take a picture of it because we’d seen a bunch of cars going over slowly, and scraping the underside of their cars,†Reich told WQOW.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf0l3NO-35U]car jump - YouTube[/ame]

Source: Car launches into air after heat buckles Wisconsin highway | The Raw Story

2. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Guess the driver was to distracted somehow to see those 2 large warning orange signs on either side of that X Games style ramp. Great launch, blew the landing. Hope they were OK.

3. Gil-galad

Gil-galad Club Coordinator

May 19, 2009
    Male
    Decorah, IA
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    Note to self: When approaching large, orange, impossible-to-miss-unless-you're-blind-as-a-bat-or-texting-or-facing-the-rear-seat-threatening-the-kids warning flags that are crowding the lanes on both shoulders, clearly marking something of significance that must be heeded, might be best to dial it back a few mph. :frown2:

4. Angib

Angib New Member

Nov 25, 2009
    (Old) England
    Ratings:
    +425 / 0 / -0
    Unless you've got an SUV that makes you feel safe, so you don't need to drive carefully.

There's plenty of decent indicators over here that SUV drivers have higher levels of confidence - for example, a much bigger proportion than car drivers don't wear (compulsory) seat belts. So you've got an over-confident driver of a vehicle which is an increased risk to others (partly through lower driving dynamics, and partly simple weight) - they really need to be given a lower speed limit than other traffic, don't they?

5. drabdub

drabdub Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Logistics Lead
    San Jose, CA
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    im pretty sure i would of turned around because of the ride height of my car but even in an SUV i would have slowed down cause you never know what could be on the other side.

6. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Bet they spilled their double mocha frappachino cinnamon lce'd latte.....:D

7. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    that was crazy, glad I was not in that vehicle

8. Friskie

Friskie Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    In the here and now, for now.
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    Concensus here is we are only willing to give the jump a 3 for completion. Initial launch and trajectory was flawless though. Not ready for the olympics.

9. TheModFather

TheModFather Well-Known Member

May 15, 2012
    11 years in the ARMY, 2 years of being a multitale
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    Can you imagine what the person on the other end of the phone heard when the SUV took flight?:yikes::mad2::mad2::mad2::crazy::mad5:

10. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Weeeeee......weeeeeeeeee........

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxRoXuPjAKc]Geico Commercial Three Little Pigs - Wee Weee Weeee - YouTube[/ame]

11. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    I see no one has mentioned the possibility yet that it was intentional. Well, Scott may have implied it ^ . :biggrin5:

I'm not talking about the highway buckling of course but the SUV hitting it with some speed. People do a lot of dumb things these days with their cars.....ever seen a show called "Dumbest Stuff on Wheels"? I wouldn't bet money but I think it's at least possible someone thought it would be fun to try to catch some air with Mom's SUV.

12. Jabbles

Jabbles New Member

May 4, 2009
    HVAC service
    Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Yes it's true the warnings were hard to miss but lets be fair. Have you ever seen a bump/jump this bad in North America with the road still open? I have driven over many bumps that had warning signs posted I slow down but most are pretty tame even in the MINI.
    I can see someone in a SUV that soaks up train tracks and pot holes comfortably think nothing of a bumpy road.

As for the video it does seem like it's pretty obvious the bump is pretty severe but the it may not have been so obvious from the drivers seat.
    Lastly why is it that when filming something like this that people suddenly lose all camera control? I understand if your friend/kid appears to have gotten injured but this? Keep the camera on the action.

13. iwashmycar

iwashmycar Active Member

Jun 1, 2009
    architecture
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    According to the comments it was merely a small bump maybe minutes prior to the launch.

...and the driver probably wasnt paying very good intention. A road would have probably been closed if it were that large to begin with.

14. grodenglaive

grodenglaive New Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    Around here, they only mark the small bumps - the big car swallowing potholes are never marked.

love the pig

15. Angib

Angib New Member

Nov 25, 2009
    (Old) England
    Ratings:
    +425 / 0 / -0
    The standard joke from the old hands when driving along bad roads in India is:
    "It gets dark at the bottom of some of these potholes, doesn't it?"