Suspension Brakes 1st Gen Swift Spec R springs and max front camber?

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by jasonsmf, Nov 23, 2012.

1. jasonsmf

jasonsmf Active Member

Jun 12, 2009
    engineer
    Elyria, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Is anyone running the Swift Spec R springs and adjustable camber plates on an R53? How much camber are you able to run before the front springs hit the strut towers? I like the spring rates of these, but am wondering if I'll be able to still dial in -2.25 deg or so without issue.

Thanks,

Jason

2. KittyMini

KittyMini Club Coordinator

Jun 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,183 / 0 / -0
    (Hoping those with them chime in here) but everything I've heard from people that have the Swifts love them and have had no issues.

I plan on getting them myself.

3. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I don't have your answer, but couldn't you do a bit of BFH clearancing if need be?

4. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Wish I could say... I'm running that setup (-2.25, Swift springs) but I clearanced my strut towers years ago for wider springs when needed.... so I can't say. :)

5. jasonsmf

jasonsmf Active Member

Jun 12, 2009
    engineer
    Elyria, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    If the clearacing you guys are talking about is the tried and trued method of flattening out the vertical ribs, cool, I already did that (back in the day....). Should've mentioned that in my first post. Even with that done, I've had problems with the early version of the TSW springs allowing even less camber than OEM springs. I'm just hoping to avoid that situation with the Swifts.

Thanks,
    Jason

6. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    If I recall, I did the rib plus a bit.. Like you, for the early TSW springs. The Swifts are no problem. I could do more camber than 2.2, but I don't want to open up the tops of the towers for adjustment clearance for the wrench to reach all four bolts.. Springs have plenty of space on my car.

7. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    I ran -2.5 with the Swift springs, had no problem reaching the inside bolt with the supplied Vorschlag tool and no cutting of the tower. Tis tight though. :cool:

8. jasonsmf

jasonsmf Active Member

Jun 12, 2009
    engineer
    Elyria, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Sounds good, thanks for the input! If I order these I'll report back my results.

Jason

9. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    You did indeed do this. My car is proof, however, that this varies a bit car-to-car, whether due to mushrooming or other deformation on my car, or some other reason. But mine just won't go quite that far. The top nut also hits the bottom of the tower at that point on mine.

But I suspect the OP will be fine to 2.2 or 2.3... And maybe more.
    :D

10. jasonsmf

jasonsmf Active Member

Jun 12, 2009
    engineer
    Elyria, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Just a quick follow up: I received the springs, just did a quick test fit. No problems, the coils are all stacked inline, no beehive shape. No clearance issues, I can adjust my camber plates just as far as before, the upper spring perch hits the strut tower before the spring. This gets me in the -2.25 degree range as before.

Jason