Talimena Scenic Highway Weekend trip coming soon!

Discussion in 'East Texas MINI Coopers' started by passingparson, Sep 20, 2009.

1. passingparson

passingparson Club Coordinator

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    East Texas Mini Cooper Club is planning a weekend trip to Talimena Scenic Highway on Nov 7,8! Talimena is 50+ miles of twisty mountaintop road on the border of Arkansas and Oklahoma. We hope to time this trip with the fall foliage change, leaving Longview Texas early on Saturday for the 3 hour drive north to the Indian Nations area. We will spend saturday on the ridge for the driving, sight-seeing, fotos, eating and fun at various attractions on the ridge. Sunday we will drive the Indian Highway then return to Longview.

Later we will have photos up and more details on hotel cost, etc. We have an earlier thread from august about a scouting party day trip 4 of us made to there.

Let us know of your interest!

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Sounds like fun. It's a great area for driving. Count me is a definite maybe!

May want to cross post on Metroplex MINI and point to this thread to keep all the discussion in one area.

Be sure to add to the Calendar as well.

Oh and contact the Arkansas and OK MINI's as well.

3. passingparson

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    need other mini club addresses

hey Nathan!

can you give me the email or site addresses for the two mini clubs you mentioned? I am familiar only with metroplexmini, & east texas coopers.

Motoring Alliance rocks baaaabyyyy!!!!!

4. TT_Zop

TT_Zop Club Coordinator

May 26, 2009
    Machinist
    Flint,TX
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
  5. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Arkansas group AMOK MotoringAmok.com

OK MINIs looks to have lost their web page.

6. Redron123

Redron123 New Member

May 26, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I will see if we can make the Talimena trip .I will just have to find somewhere to go to church sunday morning and then maybe drive back on my own or try to catch up to you somewhere.I love going on trips but i have to schedule church in if it conflicts with sunday morning.How early sat morning?I think the earlier the better that way we can ride alot all day sat.

7. passingparson

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    sat morning time

We may adjust the departure time on saturday morning if we have Dallas folks joining us for the trip, so that they don't have to get up in the middle of the night to meet us.:crazy:

There is also the option of us leaving earlier to meet Dallas crew to the west of us and run a west to east drive on the Scenic route Saturday, ending saturday at the motel in mena.

8. Gigi

Gigi Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    Count me in. I had fun on the scouting trip so there's no way I would pass up doing the run for real.

9. passingparson

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    HOORAY GIGI! IS YOUR NAVIGATOR COMING TOO? THE HOTEL ALLOWS DOG/NAVIGATORS FOR $8 XTRA, WE WILL PROBABLY BRING SUGAR WITH US

10. Gigi

Gigi Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    Yep. He's an American Express dog - can't leave home without him.

11. Redron123

Redron123 New Member

May 26, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You guys are brave.I love my dogs but black mini+white pit bull=a mess!

12. Redron123

Redron123 New Member

May 26, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    maybe i will drive my beater truck and all the dogs can ride in the back oh wait that kind of defeats the purpose.I dont think the dodge will handle the curves as well.

13. Gigi

Gigi Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    Cheek is old -- not much hair left to shed. If your dogs won't eat Cheek, they can ride with us. What's a little dog hair between friends?

14. Redron123

Redron123 New Member

May 26, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My pit is harmless its my little jack rats that you have to watch out for(naw not really but they are more aggresive)

15. passingparson

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    we get enough dogs we can have a mini dog sled team in case it snows!:devil:

16. passingparson

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Update on trip sign-up

Looks like we currently will need at least 6 hotel rooms in Mena for the Talimena Scenic Highway trip in November.:Thumbsup:

By this weekend I will post exact cost of room, and hope to get a few fotos up, the State Park link, and more details on what we hope to do there. We are posting all this in three different boards, am hoping the "advertising" of low cost, and fotos of great scenery will motivate even more mini owners to join us.

Because the area is so popular in the Fall, I will need to lock in the block of rooms fairly soon, hoping I can add rooms later if needed.

Mark McSweeney, East Texas Mini Coopers Prez.

17. passingparson

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    #17 passingparson, Sep 28, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
    talimena trip costs

Finally got to talk with Limetree Inn in Talimena, here are the room costs breakdown: (for Sat. nite Nov. 7)

Non-smoking room, 2 queen beds, 2 people: $61.00 plus 13% tax. revised: $73 + tax
    Non-smoking room, 2 queen beds, 2 people AARP: $54.90 plus tax. revised: $66.90 + tax

Sorry, I forgot to ask how much for 1 person in the room!
    Same as two people rate above

Pets are $8 extra.

There is also a 2 room suite with shared bath, but cost depends on bedding arrangements.

I reserved a block of rooms, if you want to go please phone Limetree Inn at 1-800-536-4366 to get one of the rooms in the block. Please tell them you are with East Texas Mini Coopers or Mark McSweeney. You will be given a room in our block, but put on your credit card. Cancellation is your reponsibility. If you need to cancel later, and don't, you will be the payee. Also please let me know when you reserve your room, I will need to monitor this because of a real chance I will need to increase the number of rooms later. Also, if we have a major change in the block arrangement, I need to do this a week before Nov 7.

Check out limetree: Lodging in Mena, Arkansas at the Limetree Inn providing quality Lodging, Hotel, Motel services.

check out Talimena Scenic drive Main Map of the Talimena Scenic Drive Auto Tour
    This is the drive map, go back to main menu for all the other stuff there!

Other costs:
    meals on Saturday and Sunday
    gasoline will be biggy, 3 hours up from Longview, 54 mile ridge run probably both directions, Indian highway may be 50+ miles too.
    Lots of sightseeing/hiking/historical stuff free (if we want to do this too)

I am still editing a 2 hour long raw video piece down into something worth seeing on this site, hope to have this ready soon.

18. MC40

MC40 New Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Tyler, Texas
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    OK, We're in! Only two of us (the dogs will stay home). Looking forward to it. Will call and get a room very soon.

19. Redron123

Redron123 New Member

May 26, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I put in for the days off at work today.Everyone cross your fingers!

20. Redron123

Redron123 New Member

May 26, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    They told me i can have off fri sat and sunday for the the trip woo hoo!