TALK ME OUT OF IT!!!!!

Discussion in 'Mid-Ohio Motoring' started by mergemini, Feb 13, 2013.

Tags:
  1. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    No way would I try to talk you out of it....it is a great car with very similiar peformance numbers and the aftermarket parts are going to be a lot cheaper for it.

2. rigidjunkie

rigidjunkie New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Membership Manager
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    Drive the Subaru and make a decision. The club is here regardless of what you drive. The power to weight argument is just plain crazy. The MINI and the BRZ are both momentum cars it isn't about acceleration it is all about maintaining momentum. I never had trouble keeping up in my R50 so I am sure you wouldn't be left behind in a BRZ.

I can't condone Scion ownership my dislike of Toyota (even if I did love that Venza interior) trumps any good they might do :)

3. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    #23 Crashton, Feb 13, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
    Feel the Subaru love then Allen. Two quite different parents who made a great kid. :) Toyota has made some great cars in the past. They lost their way badly, but the FRS, which should be a Toyota not a Scion is a step in the right direction.

4. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    And they just recently announced that the Toyota Celebrity Race will be using this new car.

5. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    They are the same car, made by the same company and the only difference is they are badged differently according to Top Gear!

6. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I would buy either one, go for it.

7. sethat46

sethat46 Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2012
    Financial Sales
    Ohio
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    If you get Dave.0's approval then it must be okay. :Thumbsup:

I still think you need to take a test drive this saturday morning and see how you really like it... may get in trouble with dealership though :devil:

8. Douglas H

Douglas H Active Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Westerville OH
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    I think the BRZ is a return to a car the car enthusiast love most. Fantastic handling and upgradeable in the near future.

I sat in one recently and it fits the driver well. I think the interior fit and finish are lower than it should be but Subaru interiors are not impressive to me.

The test drive will make the decision for you. Let us know what you decide.

9. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    JCW...JCW...JCW

10. sethat46

sethat46 Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2012
    Financial Sales
    Ohio
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    I'm sure someone would let you test drive their JCW. I know I would but it's an R53 :devil:

11. JMC40

JMC40 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2010
    O...H...!!
    Ratings:
    +373 / 0 / -0
    I do agree the interior of either one leaves a little to be desired, but it is by far the best thing Toyota has come out with in quite a while...
    And I doubt anyone would be too upset if you showed up at the Dragon with it. Heck up until a couple of weeks ago my plan was to bring the Rallifart.

12. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Your friends will be at the dragon no matter what you drive. Just make it a cool car. No Camry's please. :smilewinkgrin:

13. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    I loved the BRZ when I got in it at MidOhio. If wasn't hooked on MINIs I may have bought one. My other friend Nathan may be getting one. I just can't seem to get him to switch to MINI. Maybe it's because him runs the Subie club.:wink:

The turbo is coming in a year. Then you'd be kicking yourself for buying too early.

I love my old friends from the local Subie club but the rest of the group are dbags and don't want to do any thing fun. So you would have to stay with us MINI guys anyway. They my in with my Subie.:biggrin5:

After over 30 cars, the WRX being the fastest, I went to think what was the car I enjoyed the most, was the most fun. That was my CRX Si. So what is out now that is like that? MINI was the answer. That's before I met the group here.

There are lots of fine alternatives to our MINIs if you want a fun car to drive. As someone else said on this board "The MINI is a way of life". If you don't want to give that up then get a new JCW and be happy.:Thumbsup:

14. eMINIparts

eMINIparts Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Mar 13, 2012
    MINI Parts Advisor
    Bedford NH
    Ratings:
    +1,090 / 0 / -0
    Get 1 now , drive it for a couple of years , by then the NEW MINI will be out and you can swap to that....

15. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I've been wanting to flog one of these, so please, do get one so we can "test drive" it too. :)

16. rigidjunkie

rigidjunkie New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Membership Manager
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    Good luck on a test drive actually. The Subaru dealer I go to for service said they will not have a stick shift that is not sold before it hits the lot till the fall.

+1 on the fact that Subaru is building all them (Subarus and Scions) personally I would be skeptical of Scion servicing that engine. They are familiar with I4's not flat 4's and I know people think I am crazy on this one but I wouldn't have a Scion dealer service my Scion if I bought one. Subaru has been doing flat 4's for a long time and there is value in that for me.

Interior wise to me it is a wash between Subaru and MINI. The MINI has a more styled interior, but the ergonomics (especially the 56's) are screwed up to me. Subaru on the other hand is laid out well for driving but they do not do style at all.

One last point for whoever talked about power to weight, the other thing to remember is the center of gravity on the BRZ is really low, that makes a huge difference on the road.

17. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Power to weight is very close to the MCS. The BRZ is about 200lbs heavier at 200hp.

18. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    I think a fella could be very happy with a justaBRZ. :D Having owned a Subaru turbo, fast car, but even faster to the gas pump. I'd justa be happy with a normally asperated BRZ. That is if I had one. Staying put with my R53 for the foreseeable future. :yesnod:

19. quikmni

quikmni Moderator

Jun 6, 2009
    Aerospace Engineer
    Orcutt, CA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    I cannot talk you out of it.
    I am also thinking of a switch from Mini to BRZ. However, I will wait a couple years for an STI version of the BRZ with a little more power/performance. I do not want to take a performance step backwards from the GP. I have been driving a R53 for 10 years and it will soon be time for a change. The Mini life style does keep me driving a Mini so I will have to start/join a Subaru club but I know it will not have the same great Mini family and national events such as MTTS. I like modifying cars and the BRZ/FS-R should have plenty of aftermarket parts available to improve the cars (already many parts available).

20. mergemini

mergemini New Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Creative Director
    Latest stop, Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    Oh boy. Mixed feelings. Both the Subuaru and Scion dealer near me have manuals on the lot. So I'm not sure I'd struggle with finding one. Plus, I wouldn't settle if I switch. I'd order and make sure I get color and features I want. I'm not anti-Scion, so I'm ultimately indifferent on which one.

As for styling, I can agree that it is rather simple, but I also feel it works for this car. I appreciate MINI's quirks, adds to the uniqueness of the car, and something I got used to.

Overall, just not sure. Afraid to test drive because there has been a rare occasion that I have not purchased after a test drive.

I have to stop by the Toyota dealership in the next day or two as I just purchased a 2013 Rav 4. Might check out the FR-S while I'm there.