2nd Gen R60 Countryman Test drove a Countryman

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by TGS91, Jan 23, 2011.

1. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Not sure about your local dealer but the one here really works at customer retention so they are always having some sort of event. This weekend they had a BBQ featuring the Countryman

The wife and I took a S version with a stick (not the allwheel drive ver) out for a test drive

While I am not tempted to trade mine in for one cause I love my hardtop S I gotta say that MINI hit it for the market segment that they were going after

There is enough MINI DNA in the car to have that MINI fun feel and it has 4 doors with a real functional back seat.

For those with a family this is a nice option

2. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    So how does BBQ'd Countryman taste? :smile5:

3. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Tim,

My wife's biggest complaint about the coupe is the rear-view mirror, or specifically the size of it. It's been said that it creates the biggest blind spot in the entire car and its directly in front of you. How's it in the Countryman? I wonder if the mirror's the same size and the headliner just as far forward, if so I don't suspect any improvement.

4. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Used to work making computers run fast!
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    Tim, good to see your comments about MINI DNA. I enjoy love driving our CM, but my 07 Scooter has my heart. :D

Rixter, I think the mirror is still an issue, it does block that center area, but you have a bigger screen now. :)

First thing we did on our CM was remove the rear seat head-rests, they really block the rear view. :frown2:

Don

5. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Hmmm that mirror could be an issue. If the headliner is just back a bit it will be less of a problem. I guess I'll just have to distract my wife and get her attention onto something else. When she says "look at that rediculous rearview mirror", I'll switch tracks to "let's check out the MINI Connect" :lol:

6. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Crashton,

CM BBQ is mighty fine, strangely tasted like...... Chicken....hmmmm

Rixter,

I took the CM for about a 20min street driving and innercity expressway. I did not really notice any worse blindspot

Note-I've adjusted my side mirrors such that I hardly use my rear view for spotting anything in my immediate vicinity. I use the rear view to see whats coming up on me. It works real well. What blind spot there is I can see a sliver of the car

Set your side mirrors with no intent to see what behind you at all, just laterally to see off your flanks. Seems to work well for me

Don,

Yeah, I am not planning any trade in of Augie anytime soon!

7. UKXPAT

UKXPAT New Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Crystal Lake, IL
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I had the opportunity to test an ALL4 Countryman S from Moritz in Arlington. It had the paddle shift clutchless gearbox. I was dubious before hand, but I have to say I was VERY impressed! Handles very well, and did not feel that it was so much bigger. If they launch a JCW version, or hopefully a WRC version for sale, I will have to seriously consider a change.

8. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    So would that be considered an automatic?

9. Motoring Magic

Motoring Magic New Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Dec 13, 2009
    Motoring Magic Owner, Ventura County's ONLY MINI s
    Thousand Oaks, Vta cty, socal
    Ratings:
    +266 / 0 / -0
    put 12 miles on one in my shop's neighbor hood

I did a craven gps mount install on a new awd version, and whileI find the front end ugly ugly ugly, I couldn't see that from the drivers seat-and-was completely surpirsed at how well it rode and handled. Took it over my ususal test drive course which includes some great, sttep uphill sweepers, and it was nice! cornered flat, rode well, had good power. when I got out, it was still ugly, though...:arf:

10. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Yes, no third pedal. Option of Auto or steptronic on the shifter and the paddles. Justa version has just the shifter, no paddles

11. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Wife wants next vehicle to be auto. I prefer manual. Maybe the steptronic w/paddles would be a good solution

12. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Check it out, you might like it

I consider myself dyed in the wool manual driver and I think this is a pretty damn good compromise

13. INIMINI

INIMINI New Member

Apr 22, 2010
    Logistics & Administration
    Jersey City
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    Wife wants an AUTO vs Husband wants a MANUAL...

Guess who is going to win that battle...:D

14. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Seriously, with all the crappy weather over the last two winters, I am really thinking about a Countryman for myself, next time around. Wife can have the auto, I'll go manual and we will be covered.

Jim