1st Gen Testing Out New Camera Mount For MSSD

Discussion in 'Photos and Video' started by Metalman, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    OK people.......

Monday I got my new camcorder mount from RAM Mounts, a real quality piece of equipment. Suction glass mount with a fully articulating arm and a base plate with a 1/4"-20 threaded stud base to hold the camera.

So, I'm escaping from work this Friday for a trip to the Dragon (MSSD), can't wait.

Anyway, here's where you folks come in. I need input, suggestions, criticisms, whatever, on what I need to do to quickly improve me video skills.

Here is a test run from work yesterday on the drive home. The content of this video is irrelevant.

I speeded the video up @200%, to improve the "boring" nature of 1:1 speed drives. I don't know if this makes the turns too quick and would make it nauseous on the Dragon.

Not sure if wide angle or some degree of telephoto is the thing to use on the Dragon.

I have the camera mounted on the left side of the steering wheel close to the curve of the windshield. Should it be mounted centered under the rearview mirror? I already know the glass needs to be cleaned.

Should the bonnet be seen as a point of reference in the video?

So, hit me with the suggestions.

Here ya go......

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZlT0hPseCQ]YouTube - Roadtrip Home With New Camera Mount[/ame]

Thanks in advance.

2. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Cool. I haven't seen a sign for Norfolk & Western Rail Road since I was a kid. They had a big yard, with a round table in Roanoke, VA where I grew up. Video look good to me.

Jim

3. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    MM, I like the view from the left side of the windscreen...it gives it a better driver perspective than the typical middle windscreen mount (probably because I'm not a very good passenger). The 200% speed worked good for the drive home and running the straightline route, it may be too much for the Dragon - IMHO.
    Good video, I just don't understand why you continued to let that Ford Escape pull away from you all the way east on Broad Street :arf:

4. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I was glad you didn't hit the squirrel. :Thumbsup:

Jim

5. nxtMINI

nxtMINI Active Member

Apr 26, 2010
    Michigan
    Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    I would keep the camera on the same side as you have it (nice driver's perspective) but I would keep the bonnet as a reference point and keep it at wide angle, that way you'll see more of the road and surrounding area and keeping it more at the driver's perspective :D

6. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Ha.......
    Yeah, Rats with fluffy tails.

They are constantly getting zapped, hopping on the high voltage transformer on the back of our building. When this happens, it shuts off the power to my shop, and then I have to wait a couple of hours for the electric company to send a crew out to make the reconnection (All the while I'm paying my guys an hourly wage to sweep the floors):mad5:. So yeah, that was one lucky critter yesterday.:D

7. RonsMinnie

RonsMinnie New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jul 28, 2009
    Sugar Land, TX
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    #7 RonsMinnie, Oct 20, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
    I like the camera to be centered in the car far enough back so the the gear shift and gauges are visible in the video -- but getting the camera to adjust to the contrast in lighting between the dash and windshield is more difficult.

8. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    All good points, lighting will be important as you'll be going in and out of sunlight thru the trees.

I also like showing the driver's hands and instruments, but as noted it's nearly impossible to get the lighting right.

I think the way you have it set up was pretty good, and definitely keep the nose of the car in the frame....

Why not mix it up a bit, some from ahead, and if you're in a line of cars, shoot some out the back window too? someone mentioned sticking it to your sunroof, that would allow an easy change of perspective.

Lastly......music. I don't understand why folks find the need to overlay thir films, I like to hear the sounds of the engine and tires and so on - running at 200% makes your's sound like a motorcycle! Just be aware of your music choices if you're going to overlay it, find something that compliments rather than dominates the film, something that makes it more enjoyable to watch rather than making people find the mute button.

9. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Yessssssss........

These points are exactly what I was hopeful of getting from you all.
    keep them coming.:Thumbsup:

Agree, wide angle it is.

I can also set the speed and aperture on the camera. Don't want to be doing this while I'm driving. I am thinking AP (Aperture priority) so it will automatically adjust for sunny and dark but maybe at a slightly faster shutter speed to counter blurriness? I think there are a few canned, pre-programmed setting like "Sport" that runs at a faster speed setting.

Good point on the music, I was just playing around with some of the "Movie" settings on my Apple computer. I'll make sure there are plenty engine noises captured and not my screams as we loose it and fly off the road.

When I tried the upside down sunroof mount (inside), I'm not sure if the software will let me correct for this. Unless you're talking about mounting outside on top of the sunroof???

Yeah, I'll keep the bonnet in the pic.

I'll experiment by sticking the camera on the boot glass and see how that looks. And turn it around and get shots of the MINI's behind.

Thanks guy's..... More, More, More:cornut:

10. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Nice video! I'm with Mark I like it to the left side showing a bit of bonnet for perspective. I think running it speeded up isn't the best for the dragon, but I do thank you for not boring us here.

I liked your music choice, but would rather hear the engine sounds. Thanks for not using some uber techo bable dance muzak.

Have fun down in the mountains! The color should be near if not perfect. I recommend the Chocoholic Skyway & Wayah Rd as great diversions from the dragon. Run the dragon early to escape the traffic.

11. versus

versus Active Member

Sep 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    Engine sounds are great but be conscious of wind noise if you're not overlaying music? You'd be surprised how much a camera will pick up if the sunroof is popped. Looks Good :Thumbsup:

12. Rooster

Rooster New Member

May 22, 2009
    Systems Engineer
    West Hollywood, CA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Another option would be to use an external mike down by the tailpipe... or have a separate audio recording of your exhaust and combine them afterwards...

13. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    HA HA HA.....
    Actually I did consider locating a mic down under the dash in the area where MINI has that goofy "Noise Generator".

14. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Yes......
    The actual recording I made on my trip home yesterday must have a separate audio track, because I was able to adjust it at any level from mute to 100% and overlay the music on top. And yes, there was a lot of wind noise. I had the passenger window open, quite a lot of wind buffeting.

15. TPLS BLR

TPLS BLR Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Finance
    San Pedro
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Very cool, I just got a Cruisecam mount that goes on the headrest. I am going to try it out this weekend at my first track event.

16. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Well.......
    It might be smart of me if I would at least post a picture of my RAM mount.

Price for the RAM mount w/o shipping was $35.43, as you see it here;

[​IMG]

17. docv

docv Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 30, 2009
    moble auto paint tech ( PTU )
    Central Missouri
    Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    Video looks good, like the driver side perspective. I shot some video on the dragon this spring at MOTD from a roof mount, actually on the sun roof, I could reach up and start the camera and then close the roof.
    Here is the link if you wanna watch [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG2qfIU8Bvg]YouTube - The Dragon Take 2[/ame]

and yes there is music, too much wind noise..
    oops didn,t mean to post video, just link. not trying to hijack thread, sorry.

18. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    With the windows closed you'll be surprised how much sound the mic picks up from the interior of car, and a cotton ball taped over the mic opening will stop the wind noise and some of the extraneous clicks and such from shifting or signals....

19. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    It always amazes me, when I watch the videos, how smooth it all looks, when in reality those turns come up on you a lot faster in real life.

MM, I like the left side view too. Perhaps you could chase Tim down and give him the camera to shoot you on the way back. Could be cool.

Jim

20. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Hey, no problem Docv, the more info the better. Watching your video I already know the color of the THP cruisers.:D

Very nice video, thanks for sharing.:Thumbsup: