Brakes Wheels 2nd Gen Tires Texas Speed Works Brake Install

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by RonsMinnie, Jan 15, 2010.

1. RonsMinnie

RonsMinnie New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jul 28, 2009
    Sugar Land, TX
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Just installed Texas Speed Works LDM Brakes on my MINI. The kit was complete and the install was straight forward. The TSW directions are very good.

These where choosen because I want to go to 15" wheels w/ 225/45/15 or 205/50/15 tires, to get all the "gear" I can.

I was "wowed" by how light these things are compared to the stock units. There is a 9 lbs per unit difference (as measured on my bathroom scale) between these and stock. This coupled with light weight wheels such as the Enkei RPF-1 or PF-01 means I can get a reduction in un-sprung weight by an additional 9 lbs per wheel for a total of 18 lbs per wheel.

Another nice feature of the TSW units is the ease of pad changes. I think even my "fumble-butt" skills would complete a pad change in less than 60 seconds after the wheel is removed. And was another nice bonus in the price of the pads. Because of the pads common sized they are cheap and available in many materials.

Front View
    [​IMG]
    Back Side View
    [​IMG]
    Pull the cotter Pin
    [​IMG]
    Slot Load Pads
    [​IMG]

2. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Looks good. I always wondered. When replacing with a newer (thicker) pad, do you not need to collapse the pistons?

3. changing the brakes is so simple lol.

4. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, you need to compress the pistons. I saw a trick where you pull the old pad part of the way out, and rotate it 90 degrees. You can lever both pistons back in, pull the old pad, and then stuff the new pad in there. No additional tools necessary, although a set of pliers is handy to pull the old pad loose. The key is pushing both pistons in at the same time - one at a time just pushes the other one back out.

5. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Thats exactly what I do.

Takes longer to jack up car and pull the wheel than it does to change the pads.

6. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    I just pull the pad out partway and use a large flat "pry" bar between the pad and rotor to push one side of the caliper back far enough to get both pads in.

These are definitely the next step for me.

7. BlueToy

BlueToy New Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Chicago
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Nice write up Ron :Thumbsup: I'm wondering if you could share your thoughts and impressions after 9 months. How are they for everyday street use? These brakes are on my short list and would love to get a first hand impression.

8. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    For my Wilwood setup, I use a flat crowbar, after pulling the pads, to compress both pistons at the same time.

9. RonsMinnie

RonsMinnie New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jul 28, 2009
    Sugar Land, TX
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I have had no issues what so ever. I run the Porterfield R4 pad for track and street started with the R4s, but after the first track day using the R4 - I have never taken them off.

10. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    I found a pair of long needle nose plyers in the two bucks bin at our hardware store. I pull the cotter pin, put the plyers in, spread, and I'm done.

11. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I pull the pin, slip out the pad, turn it 90 degrees and lever it against the rotor to push in pistons.

12. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Maybe I'll try that next time. The pliers are pretty quick though (I put the tips where the cotter pin was and spread), literally seconds, and does both sides at the same time.

I would've thought that levering the pad against the rotor would bite into the pad, but if you all are doing it, that must not be the case.

13. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    The R4 is gonna eat the rotor on the street from my experience.

When you need track pads look the Raybestos ST-43 Darn good compound and less expensive the Porterfields.

14. RonsMinnie

RonsMinnie New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jul 28, 2009
    Sugar Land, TX
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the insight--

15. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Nate, you ever tried carbotechs?

16. Mind The Gap

Mind The Gap New Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I installed the TX SW BDM kit. I installed the street-track pads and I love the stopping but these pads squeal like a stuck pig. I mean LOUD. I've used dressing for the pad back-plates and also another rotor dressing. Now it only happens 50% of the time. It's really embarrassing approaching a traffic light sometimes.

Does anybody have any other suggestions? I think I'll install street pads but does anybody know where I could find them? (Besides Way MW?) What brand and P/N?

Oh yeah, another love-hate issue with these brakes: Love: As mentioned the ease of pad change (unfortunately had to do a a lot trying dressings)... Hate: The incredible amount of brake dust. My white wheels turn black with only a short drive. Does anybody know if EBC Greenstuff makes pads that fit? I was running them on the stock calipers before I installed the BDM and loved them.

Any feedback is appreciated...

17. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Carbotech bobcats are pretty good for dusting (street pad). They squeal a little too, but not nearly as much as track pads. I won't even bother telling you how much Carbotech XP12's squeal....Downside of carbotech's is they aren't cheap. You can get them for the BDM through Way. They are very gentle on the rotors though; better than the Raybestos pads in my experience in that regard.

Squealing--it's the nature of the beast. I really don't mind it anymore.

18. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    #18 Nathan, Oct 13, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
    No, but I lived just a few miles from the ex TSW World HQ and Jeff kept the Raybestos and Porterfield on the shelf. Getting Carbotech's was just not in my mindset.

Also picked up a few spare sets before they sold the biz so have plenty on the shelf for a while.

19. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    One of the wonderful things about this caliper is the pad choices. It's a basic pas shape that goes by PFC 752 or HB 100. There are lots of different compounds available.

EBC has almost all their compounds available for this caliper. See Outlaw Brake Disc Systems | EBC Brakes and it is the Outlaw 2000.

20. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    We sell the EBC pads for the TSW and the Wilwood brakes. They are pretty good for street use. But you could also get the Carbotech bobcats. Had good luck with both. The Carbotechs do cost more, but I'd say they have a better initial bite.