Thanks for having me, it was great seeing everyone!

Discussion in 'MINIs on the Dragon 12 (April 30 - May 4, 2014) - ' started by Ryephile, May 5, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Ryephile

Ryephile New Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Yes!
    Metro Detroit
    Ratings:
    +122 / 0 / -0
    I just wanted to post a big THANK YOU to all the wonderful MINI owners and fanatics for being so generous and friendly this weekend. Mike [in the white Focus ST] and I [in the white Lotus] had a wonderful time and really enjoyed the event.

The weather was fantastic from arriving on Thursday to departing on Sunday. :Thumbsup:

There are always sooooo many friends I want to talk to and yet the weekend always zooms by, so for all the people I didn't get a chance to talk to, I hope all is well and you had a great weekend too.

I might have a couple driving tidbits to add:

*Happy Valley Rd, the entrance of which is across the bridge from the Foothills Parkway, is a FUN bit of "b-road" for those wanting a challenging, new, slightly rustic, and more lived-in feel. It starts off as a residential road through the valley but then climbs the mountain ridge, passes underneath the Foothills, and crescendos with a handful of crazy 180° hairpins. There are plenty of blind crests and crazy cambers. IMO this road is best left in the "spirited" and not "aggressive" driving mode. If you haven't been on it, definitely add to next years' to-do list.

*highway 25W from Knoxville all the way north to Jellico at the TN/KY border. This road might as well be another Hellbender laid down in northern Tennessee, but it actually gets you up to I-75 when you're travelling home. I very much enjoyed this stretch. I took it as a detour for the traffic on I-75 at Lake City, TN, and boy am I glad I did! It barely added any time to the trip and the flowing curves and elevation changes are a blast. :cornut:

Cheers and safe driving,
    Ryan

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Ryan, was great to see you and the Lotus. I tried to make time to talk to you too, but as always pulled in 27 different directions and I lost time too.

3. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Hey Ryan, thanks for stopping by our place and taking Mendra for a ride he is still talking about that ride. :Thumbsup:

I also wanted to say thank you for letting me sit in your Lotus.
    Damn you car looks very cool and is so small but so light but very VERY fast.

4. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    I don't that I met you but I did see the Lotus. I have a friend with one and he took me for a ride in his, it was great.

5. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Sell the Lotus, buy another MINI. I miss your DIY mod articles.

6. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    Ryan, it sure was great seeing you at MOTD again! I wish I could have talked with you more at the Lodge Restaurant Thursday night, but you and Mike seemed busy and on your way out. Besides, the food had just come to my table...lol. I did see you a few times more, but you were always going somewhere. Oh well, please DO come back. Just remember, it was YOU who most influenced me to return all these consecutive years to the Dragon, from my first time down in Oct., '04, til this year. Thanks so very much, my friend!

Jeff

7. Ryephile

Ryephile New Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Yes!
    Metro Detroit
    Ratings:
    +122 / 0 / -0
    LOL. I did drive the F56's and enjoyed the 3-cyl Cooper much more than I expected. Honestly I'm waiting for the next Miata and/or Alfa Spider to arrive. If they drop the ball on those for whatever reason, I just might pick up an F56 Cooper as my next DD. The Abarth is fun as hell but I picture the clap-trap wearing thin over time.

I'm still more than happy to help MINIacs setup their cars though! Perhaps I'll whip up a "current state of affairs" mini-MINI tuning cheat-sheet to cut through the BS on the market. As always it's too easy to buy parts that make the car perform worse. Actually I had that exact conversation with Eric @ Helix this weekend. :Thumbsup:

Hey Jeff! I'm glad we got to chat for a bit at least. I'm glad to be a good influence! :beer

8. zinvestor

zinvestor Active Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Mfg Systems Consultant
    Chicagoland
    Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    +1 for US 25W. I exited I75 at exit 129 at Lake City where traffic was at a near standstill. I followed TN 116 N to Caryville, where I picked up US 25W/TN 9. Followed that for a while, until I noticed the route marker said TN 63. Stopped and checked my google maps and found I had missed the turn in La Follette, so I backtracked, made the turn and got to I75 just before the TN/KY border. It was a very pleasant drive, and I'm certain I saved at least 30 minutes and immeasurable frustration.

9. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    I've driven/ridden on that road before, as a friend of mine is terrified of driving Jellico so he always takes that road to and from wherever he is going on I-75. It's a little squirrely in a 22' Penske, though! :lol:

10. Tigger

Tigger New Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Alexandria, VA
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    My husband saw that road and wanted to go back and try it. Thanks for the review. Next year we will!