2nd Gen R56 Cooper S The 'Carbon' Problem...

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Redbeard, Jan 31, 2011.

1. SMOG

SMOG ZOOOOOMMMM
    Lifetime Supporter

Nov 28, 2009
    Retired, twice...
    Port Orchard, Washington
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Yet another web site to mess with!!

No, I think that slick tool you have for blasting the valves is probably the best solution and use it on an annual basis. You also would become more familiar with your engine while doing so and might find things that need to be fixed/changed before they totally fail.

2. SacredDisorder

SacredDisorder Because Race Car?
    Lifetime Supporter

Mar 28, 2012
    Iott Ranch & Orchard
    Petersburg, MI
    Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    Do have to say that methanol is a worthwhile investment on its own accord. The high end power that you retain is very addicting. It makes your usual highway jaunts dangerous and tempting.

3. SMOG

SMOG ZOOOOOMMMM
    Lifetime Supporter

Nov 28, 2009
    Retired, twice...
    Port Orchard, Washington
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    I certainly can see how addictive the power is/can be. Just adding a catback system gave me more zip and I suppose a true CAI would also help but after that a Tune would be in order. I do not live anywhere near someone who could Tune this wee beastie, but if I was in Southern California then a big YES!

4. SacredDisorder

SacredDisorder Because Race Car?
    Lifetime Supporter

Mar 28, 2012
    Iott Ranch & Orchard
    Petersburg, MI
    Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    I am running my Meth untuned. I added it purely for knock deterance and better octane. The side effect with FMIC has been +15 degrees above ambient at WOT. Saturday night I was out hooning around and with ambient temps at 35F I was seeing 42F intake manifold temps. Imagine the pull you feel in second gear in 5th!

5. SMOG

SMOG ZOOOOOMMMM
    Lifetime Supporter

Nov 28, 2009
    Retired, twice...
    Port Orchard, Washington
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    It is very tempting to go with the meth kit. I too have a FMIC (helix) and I understand that the lower intake temps help. Decisions, decisions, decisions:popcorn:

6. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Stock I would see intake temps of only 10-15 degrees f above ambient at most HPDE.

Peak of summer at Willow Springs It did jump to about 20-25 above ambient. There was measurable power loss as the turbine and associated parts heat-soaked.

Now, sitting in Vegas traffic, mid summer AC cranked I/C temps were easily 50+ deg f over ambient.

7. MeanMini

MeanMini New Member

Aug 7, 2013
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    They keep trying to sell me on this injector cleaner/fuel system treatment. They believe it works to stem the build up but not prevent it entirely...

I have a 2010 with 30,7XX miles and I show no outward signs (Loss of power, throttle hesitation, rough idle, CEL of misfire) of an issue. My daily commute is 30 miles each each way at 60-80mph for 40-50 minutes.

___
    Any update? I have a MC hardtop 2009 with 31K on it. My daily commute is also about 25 miles each way at 60-70mph for 35 mins. The dealership keeps trying to sell me this injection/induction cleaner as well; they told me that Techron is just a product that mixes with the gasoline as this is a process that will remove the build up. Admittedly, I have seen a loss of "pep" and a slight reduction in fuel economy recently, and so I am leaning towards getting this treatment done. The problem is it's EXPENSIVE, both treatments adding up to $400. They also originally told me it should be done every 15K, which seemed excessive.

Has anyone had this treatment or know more about it? Also, FWIW, they also told me that the sandblasting that is done with pulverized nutshells is when the carbon build up problem is severe and is causing starting problems. I don't want to get to that point. So anyone? Bueller? Bueller?:fingerscrossed:

8. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    I sold my 2010 a few months ago with 74k miles on it. Still running like a top aside from a non-related issue with a vacuum component.

The injector cleaner "treatment" is mostly smoke and mirrors. Use a decent gas with a detergent and you will be just fine.

That uses the process that has been discussed earlier in the thread. It physically removes any existing build-up. With a high pressure media blast on the valves themselves. I know paying that much for "maintenance" sucks but it will extend the life of your vehicle and improve your gas mileage.

The carbon cleaning fron the dealer can cost from $400-600 depending on the dealer. The price is not fixed and you can negotiate it not to $200 or anything like that but you may be able to talk them down to just the cost of the blasting media and the labor.