The Cereal and Milk Conundrum

Discussion in 'Politics and other "Messy" Stuff' started by Nathan, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Not to go all Andy Rooney, lord knows I don't have anywhere near bushy enough eyebrows for that. It puzzled me why when one has a family size box of a standard cereal such as Corn Flakes or Rice Crispies a gallon of milk is just a little to much. One ends up with just a little milk left and no cereal. What makes it worse is I shop from memory. I knew I was out of Corn Flakes when in the grocery store, but I also knew there was some milk left so of course did not purchase any more. Get home, put things away and notice there is just enough milk left for a bowl of Cap't Crunch tomorrow. :incazzato:

The Oliver Stone in me thinks this is a conspiracy along the lines of the hot dog and bun trap. You know, the one where buns come in 8 packs and the good Hebrew National hot dogs come in 6's. Two buns go wasted every time in this household.

I know, I could have been proactive and purchased another gallon. That would have required some forethought and maybe even a grocery list. Perish that thought.

I really need the Alexandrian solution to this Gordian Knot type issue.

2. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    That's nothing. Why is it when I am relaxing at home drinking beers I always wake up the next morning to find there is only one beer left in the fridge? Not enough to tip a couple back, but it is just sitting there calling to you so it'd be a shame not to drink it. So you end up going back to the store only to start the cycle over again.

3. hoham

hoham New Member

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    not enough milk? not enough beer? ever notice how you always find "just one more" place to detail on your mini?

4. Angib

Angib New Member

Nov 25, 2009
    (Old) England
    Ratings:
    +425 / 0 / -0
    You're looking at this from a glass half empty perspective. After the cereal you can have toast which is served dry (unbuttered) here in Yurp and polite folk serve both the butter and the jam/marmalade first to their side plate and then from the plate to their toast.

Careful selection of butter and jam quantities means that there's always one of them that hasn't been used up, so you're always justified in taking another slice of toast in order to 'use up and not waste' the remaining butter and/or jam.

This, I believe, is one of the few true examples of a perpetual motion machine. Well, until the bread runs out, but then even Newton had that problem.

Andrew :eek:ut:

5. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    The moo juice issue is not a problem in our household, as we drink a fair amount of it, and always have a stand-by gallon.

I am with you on the hot dog-bun conundrum though. Who the hell picked 8 buns:mad2: I mean even back in mostly metric Canada, remember 10 based, they come in 8 packs:eek:ut:

goaljnky, do what I do, buy more beer each shopping trip. It's not extra, it's in reserve:arf:

Mark

6. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Nah, the solution is to take Goaljnky's extra beer, add Nate's extra milk, and use that concoction to detail the MINI's black trim, you know, that "just one more place" to detail...Pretty much covers all the bases, and probably works better than "Black Wow"....

You know, that butter/jam/bread/hot dog conundrum is pretty much off topic, so I'm not even going to address it any further....

7. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    The tube steak/bun issue is a math problem:idea:.

Buy 8, 6 packs of dogs, and 6, 8 packs of buns:Thumbsup:

About the off-topic thing, the OP brought those other issues up, did not hide things between the lines, will probably continue to post comments in the thread, and is very unlikely to report any posts.

Mark

8. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    The butter/jam/bread/hot dog conundrum is part and parcel of this whole conspiracy that big food has created.

9. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    So that's why you picked this forum, there is a conspiracy.

Mark

10. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    There is the "messy" issue of spilled milk as well.

11. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    I was thinking the same thing:lol:

Mark

12. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    As for spilled milk, just don't cry over it.

As for all the innuendo in that statement, I just reported Nate to himself.

13. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Get a pig and put him in the back yard. He'll eat all the extra milk, jam, bread, and hot dogs you can come up with. Pigs are smart, too, so you could train him to detail your car.

14. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    :lol::lol::lol:

Mark

15. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Another conundrum, what is the true value of a mattress? They are always on sale.

Mark

16. Deviant

Deviant Banned

Apr 23, 2009
    Student
    Southern IL
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    This thread has taken on an almost Douglas Adam like quality, do continue.
    Lotsie, you do realize that four 6-packs of buns and three 8-packs of dogs also gives you what can be referred to as tailgate-equilibrium.

On a tailgate related note, what did people do before pickup trucks outside of sporting events? Was there ever a time when people would go "Horse a**" before a game?

17. nabeshin

nabeshin New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Lincoln, NE
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I always use extra hot dog buns for making little sub sandwiches.

18. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0

It all depends on who's back it's strapped on to.

19. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    The whole hot dog-bun conundrum isn't even a true conundrum, at least not in Wisconsin.

Brats come in six packs, as does beer and everything else that's important. Brats came first, then buns, then hot dogs. It's that simple.

Hot dogs come in 8 packs for one reason and one reason only: they're made primarily of bat meat. By putting them in numbers that don't correspond to a proper number of buns, the bat meat industry has cleverly sidestepped one issue for another, recognizing that most people who buy hot dogs probably can't read well (or at all), but, on the other hand, can count to eight (although probably not much higher), but on the other hand (most people who eat hot dogs have at least three hands, courtesy of all the carcinogens) can't multiply. Figuring out a common denominator, obviously, is entirely out of the question.

So recognizing that these folks can't read, or read poorly, the bat meat people figured these consumers would skip the label and entirely miss the bat entrails thing on the ingredient list (as well as the surgeon generals warning prominently displayed on all hot dog labels) and go directly to something they feel more comfortable with--attempting to figure out how many packages of buns go with how many of packages of hot dogs. And, of course, since they cannot multiply, they almost always get it wrong. Which is the only reason the bat meat industry is still in existence; even the people who eat bat meat hot dogs really don't like them, but they feel obligated to buy more, so they'll match the extra buns, and not waste anything. So they're stuck in a cycle of perpetual motion, buying more buns, or bat dogs, whichever they're deficient in, trying to get the numbers to equal out, but, of course, they never do, sustaining the evil bat meat empire...

And all this driving back and forth to the store is the primary reason for global warming, but the bat meat industry is very wealthy and resourceful, and has paid of Al Gore to come up with a bunch of other bogus reasons to keep the focus off of them.

Geesh, I can't believe no one else hasn't mentioned that yet.....

20. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    In my case it's because I only buy Hebrew National, no such thing as a kosher bat.