Daily Toggle The Debut of the New MINI John Cooper Works Hardtop

Discussion in 'MINIs in Other Media' started by JoeClubman, Dec 10, 2014.

1. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    I agree with that 100%, and that's why I'm not looking to buy another MINI. I've said it (and been beaten up for it) over and over, the new generation by and large caters to a different crowd. The days of trying to squeeze more rawness out of the powertrain by self modders have been replaced by trying to squeeze more refinement out of the car by BMW. Not my thing.

I still don't see why BMW can't do an RS type thing, or Boss Laguna Seca type thing, or Porsche Cayman R type thing, etc, etc. Just a no frills pure track beast. They teased us with the GP1, and I thought it was coming, but they've bailed on it. They could have done both, and considering the MINI was a labor of love to begin with, I'm surprised they haven't. I'm ok with a partial sellout, but this has been a total sellout.

2. Zillon

Zillon Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Central NJ
    Ratings:
    +633 / 0 / -0
    I mean we can magazine-race each other all day long, but numbers are just that... numbers. You can't drive a magazine.

The Mini brand has never been about being a powerful brute, anyways. And I'm fine with that. My GP2 is quick, but it isn't the fastest thing in a straight line, and I love it for that. It means it doesn't overpower the front wheels as easily mid-corner. It sticks like glue. And it puts a big ol' grin on my face and makes fun sounds.

The Nissan GT-R is a numbers car. Wicked fast, handles incredibly well according to the books, yet not many call it fun to drive. I don't ever want a car like that. To have 'fun' in a GT-R requires you to drive it at illegal speeds, too. Where's the fun in that?

Honestly, if you want something faster than a Mini, several other automakers already make it for you. :Thumbsup:

3. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    #23 cct1, Dec 11, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
    I don't drive a magazine, I drive a MINI. My MINI is already faster on the track, where it counts to me, than many cars it shouldn't be. It's an absolute blast to drive, that's why I still own it. But it was the perfect platform for that, the newer models and engines, not so much. And I have to drive it well to drive it fast. That has been lost to a degree on the latter versions. Fortunately my car is in good enough condition I can continue on with it. If it wasn't, the newer MINI wouldn't replace because it's performance to fun ratio just isn't there anymore. It's sad but true.

But I think you're way off if you think the RS won't be as much fun, or as tossable, as a MINI. I think it'll be quite the opposite, as the MINI becomes more sterilized, it's easier to drive. Anyone can drive a GTR fast, that's similar to how MINI is heading, let the electric nannies do the work for you. The RS is aiming to reward the driver for driving it hard, the MINI is getting to the point where it penalizes you.

Seriously, if you can't have fun in an RS you need to have your pulse checked, if it's anything like the previous model, which will always be considered a drivers car more than I daresay the MINI.

4. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    I have no problem driving at illegal speeds! :D

5. TheModFather

TheModFather Well-Known Member

May 15, 2012
    11 years in the ARMY, 2 years of being a multitale
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    Its more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow...

I found a good bit of truth to this old saying when I bought a new EVO 8 back in 2005. Yes there where times I enjoyed the power and just flat out raw performance of that car, but day to day, it just wasn't fun.

With the R53 you still get the high performance feel in the car, and its easy to drive daily without going overboard.

Now I have an R60 (soon all MINI's will be this size) and it is still fun to toss around, but its dulled out a lot from the R53. You can feel the weight, and the size a lot more than you think, but it can still be considered "quick" although it is not the same animal all of us 1st gen owners fell in love with.

For me its a good daily driver: its quiet, feels solid, surprisingly roomy, and comfortable, yet if I want it can still be driven... Just not as hard.

Unfortunately BMW is trying to make their new cars appeal to every type of person, not just the ones who want a sporty car at a good price. In doing so, they not only ruined the driving and performance aspects of the car, but all the "comforts" and hipster "Tech" comes at a price... The Porker had a sticker price of $31K, and it has the least amount of options you can get without placing a custom order! (Sunroof, cold weather pack, and comfort access package) That is enough to make a lot of people who where thinking MINI to walk and find something else!

The EVO had a sticker of $35K, and was as fully loaded as they came... Sunroof, upgraded Infinity sound system, leather, HID lights, and the active center diff, plus it still had 276 advertised HP (which was lower than it had at the wheels un touched on the dyno all the way up here at 6000 feet) and was built reliable!

Now for MINI to make a "Performance" car again, with all the BS technology they think everybody wants, it would probably cost as much as a new Corvette!

6. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    There is nothing more fun than passing a Mustang, M3, Cayman S, etc. on the track in a MINI, especially when you have to work for it. But the other manufacturers have upped the ante, and the MINI is no longer the media darling of the hot hatches--mainly because the MINI has been surpassed by VW and is about to be eclipsed by Ford. They are going for more precise steering, more feedback, less body roll, much improved brakes, where MINI is going in the opposite direction--lighter steering, more understeer, more body roll, but adding slightly to HP. So it's the exact opposite direction of tossability versus power that people are clamoring for.

7. Zillon

Zillon Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Central NJ
    Ratings:
    +633 / 0 / -0
    I'm confused by the understeer and more body roll comments...

I felt the stock F56 cornered flat, and rotated very well for a stock car. Have any of you driven one yet?

8. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    When you have a nicely set up R53 the difference is night and day.

9. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Yes, I've driven all three in the S forrm (finally). All of them understeer, (welcome to front wheel drive) but the R53 has the least amount, and is easiest to fix it also has the most direct steering feel. The F56 actually plows a bit, a first for a MINI hatch. The F56 is the most comfortable on the road of the three. That's what BMW is after, a fun car that is civilized. What's happened is the bar has slid more toward comfort at the expense of razor sharp handling, while other hatches are taking the opposite tack, similar to what BMW did in the beginning with the MINI.

That's the frustration. Many of us are willing to sacrifice a bit more comfort for a bit more performance, and the F56 is going in the exact opposite direction. That VW has come out with a smoking hot Golf R that will be selling soon only adds salt to the wound. If MINI would come out with a model in the F56 line that looked to push performance as its primary goal, rather than making a slightly faster relatively luxurious F56, I'd take another look. The last hope is the F56 GP, because the F56 JCW is a money grab only. And after what BMW did with the GP2, where the biggest improvement in performance arguably came from the sticky tires, I'm skeptical.

10. TheModFather

May 15, 2012
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    Anything wearing a JCW badge past the first FJCW R56's are a waste to me, even the R53 JCW's where debatable at best.

Bringing up the R60 again here, but a JCW R60 is right around $40-$45K+, and what exactly justifies that cost? 30HP, a sub $2K body kit, a couple options and a sticker for $10,000+.

Its sad, I thought BMW made "The ultimate DRIVING machine" not the ultimate riding appliance. :(

11. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    You're right on that, the R53 JCW was overpriced in retrospect for what it was. If I had it to do over again, I'd have bought the GP1. I bought a JCW and the only thing left from that is the CAI.

The F56 is still going to have appeal as a sporty hot hatch, it'll actually appeal to more as it's more comfortable to drive, and the things we're complaining about, although they bother the hell out of us, are not issues for most. And that's cool, I get that, but many of us got on board because the car was point and shoot at the expense of an at times filling rattling ride. We're a minority, but a very vocal one...

I wouldn't mind so much that MINI makes a car with more mass appeal if they'd throw out a limited number of cars that are strictly piss and vinegar for the few of us that want those. There's room for both cars, and both crowds in the MINI community. Except for maybe Dave.:D

12. Spa2k

Spa2k Well-Known Member

May 9, 2013
    Iowa
    Ratings:
    +975 / 0 / -0
    What a sad, ugly, underpowered excuse for a performance hatch. It makes me embarrassed to be a MINI owner.

13. Zillon

Zillon Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Central NJ
    Ratings:
    +633 / 0 / -0
    You've got it all wrong.

BMW makes the ultimate statement machine. There's no better way to say "I've made it," than by parking a BMW in your driveway.

14. TheModFather

May 15, 2012
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    For me, that would be a Ferrari in the garage.

15. Zillon

Zillon Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Central NJ
    Ratings:
    +633 / 0 / -0
    So many things I'd rather have in my garage before a Ferrari.

Though, I wouldn't turn one down...

16. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    All things are possible....

[​IMG]

17. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    That looks like it's probably gonna have too much body roll on a tight sweeper, so much so it requires a second set of wheels above the normal ones to prevent a rollover. I'm really disappointed in Ferrari.

18. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    If Vettel doesn't win that will be his new corporate ride. And to think he didn't like his Infinity POS.