The Dragon Slays a Countryman

Discussion in 'MINIs on the Dragon 10 (May 2 - 6, 2012) - TN / NC' started by Minidave, May 3, 2012.

1. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Happened yesterday, details are sketchy but all survived, although one had to be life flighted out.....

[​IMG]

Be careful out there, it can happen to you!

2. eMINIparts

eMINIparts Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Mar 13, 2012
    MINI Parts Advisor
    Bedford NH
    Ratings:
    +1,090 / 0 / -0
    OUCH! Glad everyone is OK! Safety is #1

3. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    I copied the pic from that NAMeless site, so I'll repost it here for those who can't see it....click the pic for a bigger view

Attached Files:

4. ronnie948

ronnie948 New Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Retired
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    That don't look good !!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope nobody was injured to bad that they can't recover.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::That said:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

You do not have to speed or drive like a maniac to enjoy the Dragon.

Just cruising at the posted speed limit will be safe and you will still enjoy the ride. That whole area is great and enjoyable to drive on.

If you feel the need to speed you need to join a club that rents tracks for track days. A lot safer and more enjoyable then wrecking your car on the Dragon.

:Thumbsup::postcount

5. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    The OP on the other site ammended his post to indicate this did not exactly happen on the Dragon, but on the road to the dam.....and that's a posted 15mph corner.

But like it shows in the Dragon safety vid you don't have to be going fast to have a rollover, just dropping a wheel off in the wrong spot can do it. From the way the spectators are looking down that hill, it looks pretty steep right there, and it looks like the car just got winched up from down in that holler.....

From what little you can see of the car in this pic, it clearly rolled, and at some point either hit a tree or went end over too.

6. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Hmm... I think I recognize the woman peering into the car. Just texted around, driver was okay and just released from the hospital.

7. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Did they say how it happened?

8. DixonL2

DixonL2 New Member

May 4, 2009
    Supply Chain Implementation Guy
    A bit north of the 'burgh, PA
    Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    I was the next car behind the Countryman, my wife and I witnessed the incident, admittedly from maybe 10 car lengths behind. We'd been following this C-man at a distance for about 10 miles (from Upper Sawyer's Creek Road to the section of 28 leading into Fontana). Sticking only to facts: The C-man made an early and fast corner entry, exited the road airborne into the ravine near the corner exit, and apparently hit the tree with its roof first, ending up on its roof, horn blazing, some 30-40 feet below the road surface. The driver was the lone occupant, was life-flighted out, treated for his injuries, and thankfully was able to return to Fontana to participate in other events.

Thankfully the driver survived, thankfully Mini designed a safe structure, and everybody was lucky this time.

I have to thank the driver's club/friends, the school bus driver who radioed the "911" call in, and the Propane truck driver who actually went into the ravine to retrieve the driver, the nurse who stayed with him until the ambulance got there, and the many others who stopped to help direct traffic and maintain safety for over an hour while the whole mess was sorted out.

That's all that need be said about the incident itself. Anything more would be conjecture, judgement, or speculation. Just don't.

Pay attention and be very careful out there.

9. itsmewutup

itsmewutup New Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    Glad the driver is ok. Sorry bout the MINI though :(

10. versus

versus Active Member

Sep 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for keeping it to the facts, these events can take on a life of their own when being retold.

11. BThayer23

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Wow. :eek6::eek6::eek6::eek6:

Be safe out there, guys and girls. The consequences are too great. I'm glad the CM driver was lucky.

12. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Countryman SUV and twisties..............:frown2:

13. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    I seriously doubt the accident had anything to do with the car he was driving, based on the eye witness description of the event.....

Hope we don't lose any more MINI's this weekend.

14. BThayer23

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Actually, I know the driver; it was his first Dragon in the Countryman after several in his previous R56 MCS. And he hadn't even arrived at MOTD yet, so I would hazard a guess that his unfamiliarity with the car at speed was a factor.

Even so, he's a good driver, technically sound, so I'm surprised that this happened, and very glad he's okay.

15. fastrack1

fastrack1 New Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    So your the guy I kept getting stuck behind who refuses to pull over? Of course cruising at the posted speed is safe.....that's why it's the posted speed.....and no...it wouldn't be much fun.

Thanks for the advice on renting a track, but the Dragon is cheaper and more fun. Everybody knows what that road is about. Nobody lives on the road. Stay on your side and drive within your capabilities as fast as you can. The big danger is not speed but crossing the double yellow line.

16. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    WOW......so you're one of those guys.

Take your "exceeding the speed limit is fun" to the track.......these roads are for cruising, not racing. And speed is definitely a factor as I am sure you will find out.

17. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Yep, I'm with Scott...slow down and be safe - the life you save may be mine!

People may not live on that road, but for many who live in the area it's a lifeline, it's their road, and you should not be disrespecting them. You're a guest, act like one....

18. fastrack1

fastrack1 New Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Are you guys for real? I'm not saying endanger anyone, but keep the speed limit? Cmon....I have already safely come and gone from the 2012 Dragon. 95% of the people there, including the locals, exceed the speed limit.

If you aren't going to test the car, then what are all the performance vendors doing there? You guys are in the minority. I'm just the only one speaking out for what everyone is actually doing on the roads. You don't have to agree with it, but at least pull over and understand that not everyone thinks like you or drives like you.

I also didn't say anybody should race. But few are out there "cruising". If that's what you want to do then come at a different time than the Dragon event (or pull over)

19. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Is it possible to be both safe and fast on a road like the Dragon?

The fact that there was a school bus and a propane truck involved in this incident tells you that this road is not a playground for you to "test" you and your cars abilities - if you want to do that - go to a track like Ronnie says.

I'm not advocating driving like a 90 y/o grandma, I'm saying be safe - and driving your car at it's limits on a road with no shoulders, large dropoffs, local traffic including children in school buses and propane trucks is NOT the place to do that.

A stock MINI can be driven unsafely too, so the speed equipment vendors are not there to make you go faster on the Dragon - that responsibility lies with you - so exercise your adult brain and be safe.

The life you save may be mine - or my grandchildren's (they live in the area)

Think about that the next time you go screaming around a blind corner.....please.

20. Msfitoy

Msfitoy Member

May 16, 2009
    Male
    Automotive/Industrial Designer
    NC
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    was the pic removed?