The Dragon Slays a Countryman

Discussion in 'MINIs on the Dragon 10 (May 2 - 6, 2012) - TN / NC' started by Minidave, May 3, 2012.

1. fastrack1

fastrack1 New Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    It's not safe to exceed the speed limit if you don't know how to drive your car. So because he drove outside the boundaries of his capabilities, this is your argument that everyone should drive the speed limit on the Dragon?

Also, if I'm not mistaken, the posted speed limit on the Dragon is 35mph. There are plenty of corners that you can't or shouldn't go 35 on. Drive within your personal limits, which is different for everyone, don't cross the yellow line and pull over for those that want to drive faster than you.

I just laugh at how pious some of you are. I bet you speed on a daily basis in your normal life or maybe when you are late for something. It's funny how the organizers put together so many "spirited" runs. Some people are there to run the roads fast and others are there to view the scenery. I'm not knocking you so don't knock me. I'm simply asking to pull over. I crawled behind a yellow Justa for about 20 minutes as he passed turnoff after turnoff. I didn't come to drive slower than the speeds in my neighborhood.

2. fastrack1

fastrack1 New Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

3. DixonL2

DixonL2 New Member

May 4, 2009
    Supply Chain Implementation Guy
    A bit north of the 'burgh, PA
    Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    #43 DixonL2, May 8, 2012
    Last edited: May 8, 2012
    The posted speed limit in that corner of 28 (about a mile east of Fontana, NOT on the "Tail of the Dragon") is actually "not posted", meaning it's 55MPH. Yes, 55MPH. Fifty five. I confirmed this with the State Policeman on scene right after the wreck. He assured me that if you're driving unsafely, however, there are, in his words, "...a bunch of ways I can pull you over, from careless driving to reckless driving to speed-too-fast-for-conditions, even if the road is dry" (his words not mine). That Officer, and a few others "spoken to directly" by friends/acquaintances, spoke very highly of the Mini group as a whole.

Driving courteously and safely very simply means not inconveniencing your fellow Motorers, who may be either faster than you, slower than you, or in worse cases scared of you or the road, or waiting for your wrecked car to be hauled out of the ravine. Be kind to each other - it's pretty simple, really.

Everything you need to know about this incident is in post 8 of this thread.

Moving on...

4. ghamma

ghamma New Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I'm the OP on the NAMeless forum using your image. Thanks for making it available so we can be exposed to the need for paying attention to both the road and our capabilities.

5. MINI_Lola

MINI_Lola New Member

Aug 10, 2011
    Management Analyst for DoD, HQMC
    Annandale, VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    My two cents is that it was an unfortunate accident that thank goodness wasn't fatal. Everyone speeds and no one's perfect.

6. zinvestor

zinvestor Active Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Mfg Systems Consultant
    Chicagoland
    Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    The posted limit on the ENTIRE Dragon is 30 MPH. If you don't know that, you weren't paying enough attention during your runs.

7. Blainestang

Blainestang New Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Cool... and I hope it helped somebody realize the dangers. I was just surprised to click on this link and see my pic :biggrin5:

8. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    This accident was on the mild side of Hellbender not the Dragon.

If you are going Going to drive like a Harley or Honda cruzer go to one of those weeks.

FYI tell your grand kids not to play in the street on the Dragon.

People please get a life and quite telling others how to drive.

9. KenWarren

KenWarren New Member

Feb 23, 2012
    BI consultant
    SE Pennsylvania
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    While you are correct that just about everyone speeds at least some of the time, and most of us speed almost all the time, there is no inalienable right to exceed the speed limit in the Constitution. (There's no right to drive at all. It's a privilege, and one that can be revoked.)

As such, if you want to speed on The Dragon, you are cordially invited to wait patiently and politely for a legal opportunity to pass. Alternatively, you can use one of the turn-outs along the road to sit and wait for a few minutes. At that point the slowpoke will be so far ahead that you're unlikely to encounter him again.

10. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0

[​IMG]

11. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    As far as I remember we did not have cars when the Constitution was written either. DUH but what would I know I only live in the city where it was signed.

I also pass slower drivers on Hellbender (28) as the road markings allow for it.

So my point is if the road is 55 MPH speed up or pull over and lets us that'll can drive .....DRIVE.

Oh and blah blah blah, nice job adding to your post count. :lol:

12. maacodale

maacodale Club Coordinator

May 7, 2009
    Maaco Collision Repair & Auto Painting Center owne
    Poquoson, VA
    Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    I'll chime in here since everyone else seems to be an expert.

I know the driver pretty well. Having ridden with him, followed him and had him follow me. He's a good driver with plenty of experience. Not to mention plenty of track time. Personally, I think he's a great guy.

Now, for the down side. He made a mistake, granted the outcome could have been far worse for either himself or an innocent oncoming driver. Have you never watched a race of any sort and seen a professional driver have a lapse in judgement or make a mistake? Of course you have. Pretty much what happened here.

We helped him get his stuff out of the wrecked car at the tow yard and had lunch with him the following day. If for nothing else, just to be glad he was still with us. Though he was one sore/stiff puppy.

But here's the big picture, it was a mistake and he had a wreck. Not unlike thousands of other drivers across the country every day. This was a bit higher profile because of the location and the timing. If it happened out there today it would hardly be news worthy.

Some people speed and do it well, others can't drive worth a crap at 10 mph below the posted limit any damn where. You can't change history, so lets just move on.

13. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I agree, accidents happen that's why they call them......

Wait for it

"Accidents"

My friend was driving the Black Mini that was t-boned last year at the top of a hill going into the sun. Everyone on every site ripped him for being careless and blah, blah,blah.

He did nothing wrong. He just did not see the car coming up the hill at a high rate of speed as he looked to turn into Fontana because of the Sun and the crest of the hill.

He was ok and the other driver was ok and all was fixed in the end. That is why they call them accidents, they happen to the best of us and all of us.

I am glad your friend is still with us. Don't worry all these Internet drivers they will go away in time after they preach and get 15 min of fame by posting.

14. KenWarren

KenWarren New Member

Feb 23, 2012
    BI consultant
    SE Pennsylvania
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Did you understand my point, which is that there is nothing anywhere in law that gives anyone the right to test their skills on a public thoroughfare? Not you, not I, not even Mario Andretti.

As for your point, I'm unlikely to need to pull over. (Conditions permitting, I have a heavy foot.) If I do need to, though, I will (or give a wave-by in a passing zone). Assuming it's safe to do so, anyway; if in my judgement it isn't, see my previous post about waiting patiently and politely.
    :confused5: I don't remember using this: :postcount:...

15. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    #55 Minidave, May 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2012
    You know, your comment is uncalled for, the only thing I advocated was using your adult brains when you drive on a road with limited sight lines, a low speed limit and school buses and propane trucks on it.

And I have a life TYVM.

Or go hit a tree, I don't care....

16. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    #56 Jason Montague, May 9, 2012
    Last edited: May 9, 2012
    :cornut::eek6: Ah come on guys. Lets don't tap dance and candy coat our true feelings:mad5::devil:. Let's pull the gloves off, salt up the language and go for a thread lock:incazzato::mad2::ihih:.:Thumbsup:

Jason

17. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    On another note, there is always a thread like this after MOTD. Last year it was the MINI with the Dragon on the side that caught all the attention, after almost running Killboy off the road. I noticed I did NOT see that MINI this year. Did anyone else?

Jim

18. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Ah yes, the I know how better to drive these roads than you annual post MOTD argument.

It only took a day to really come to head.

Lets face the facts here...We all know that the majority of us have been known to bend the speed laws from time to time and the area allows us to get away with it to a point. The locals somewhat tolerate it for the income we bring to region. The LEO's let a few but the most egregious slide with handing out Certificates of Volicitial Achievement.

The idea is to have fun yet keep it somewhat reasonable too. It can be done, look at the 100's there that had a good time, drove within their own limits and didn't walk away from wrecks or tickets.

Keep it civil.

19. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    HEY! Who do you think you are, accusing us of something like that!?!?

I resemble that remark.

:crazy:

20. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Used to work making computers run fast!
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    Bottom line, he knows he made a mistake and his MINI CM and luck saved his life.

Let's move on!

Don