The Dragon Slays a Countryman

Discussion in 'MINIs on the Dragon 10 (May 2 - 6, 2012) - TN / NC' started by Minidave, May 3, 2012.

1. fastrack1

fastrack1 New Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    My goodness, it took me a few minutes to quit laughing before I could see straight to post back.

What in the world does this conversation have to do with any Constitutional rights? I'm pretty sure they only had horse and buggies back then. I guess you are the guy that would have had his wagon hooked to a donkey and slowing up all the stallions that want to pass :biggrin5::biggrin5:

I also pretty sure that the turn-outs were designed so that the SLOWER drivers could pull over to let others pass. Sounds like a lot of fun pulling over every few minutes to let the slow guy get a lead and then catch back up.

Mini's on the Dragon is an event with multiple purposes and one is to let Minis get together and run the Dragon at an exciting pace (I didn't ever say recklessly). The whole community knows it and I bet they are happy to see us, as we spend a lot of money there.

I also don't recall seeing anybody's grandkids frolicking by the side of road picking daisies, etc. Or maybe I was just going to fast to see them. Either way, shame on whoever let them out there................The road serves two purposes. One as a service road for the locals and two TO GO FAST FOR THE REST OF US.

Just don't cross that yellow line.

2. fastrack1

fastrack1 New Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    My point exactly. If I want to risk that, it's my choice. Just don't cross the yellow line.

When I run the Dragon and I want to take a corner really aggressively, I always do it on a curve against the mountain and away from opposite traffic. This way if I don't make it, I endanger nobody but myself. I also don't risk catapulting myself 100 feet into the air over a cliff. I don't have a death wish. I just want to drive my Mini like it was designed for and want the slow pokes to pull over.

3. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    OK, now I understand. Your style is to drive the dragon very fast and safe of course, so anyone that likes to drive it in a different style should get the hell out of your way, because it is all about YOU. How silly of me not to catch that right away. :mad2:

Jim

4. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Guys don't feed the troll. He is having way too much fun with you.

:popcorn:

5. fastrack1

fastrack1 New Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    And anybody that putzers down the Dragon in the middle of an annual Dragon event without getting over using the supplied pull-overs is ALSO saying "hey, it's all about me"

Pull over and let me by. Then I go fast and am happy and you go slow and is happy......What? You don't like win-win's for everyone? You enjoying seeing a line of cars behind you? Makes you feel powerful?

I literally saw a Mini with a line of other Mini's, mini-vans and a boxtruck behind it. Just enjoying a leisurely stroll down the Dragon. What a moron.....

6. smurfette26

smurfette26 Club Coordinator

Nov 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I applaud your efforts to drive aggressively as safely as possible. Thank you for thinking of others. A couple of questions though...

Once you wreck against the mountain will you really have control over where you ricochet? I would guess that it would be pretty easy to go into the other lane after the initial impact so you would be crossing the double yellow line then, right? Assuming that isnt an issue I would also think that you might be endangering others when your wrecked car finally come to a halt in the appropriate lane. I mean there are enough blind curves that once the slowpoke behind you finally catches up, said slowpoke might not be able to stop without hitting your wreck.

I really dont think that there is a way to ensure that others wont pay the price if you should end up wrecking.

7. fastrack1

fastrack1 New Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Hey Foggie, I doubt you want to help a brother out under the circumstances, but I just posted another post asking where to buy the front air spoiler that I noticed you also have on your Mini. Very nice looking. Let's put our differences aside for a second on this one because "it's all about me" :biggrin5:

8. fastrack1

fastrack1 New Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    True. We can always dream up worst case scenarios and they are all realities in everyday life. The minute you exceed a posted speed limit, you are liable for your actions, yet the same people crying "foul" about speeding on the Dragon don't mind speeding to work, church, the gym, etc.

Who follows the rules 100% of the time? Cmon, let's be real again. Drive within your comfort zone. If somebody has a faster comfort zone, pull over. If you drive reckless, then shame on you. I do not drive reckless on the Dragon. I happen to enjoying living and have 4 kids and a pretty wife that I'd like to come home to. But ya gotta live a little at the Dragon..........

9. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I answered you on the other thread and gave you a link for the splitter. I really don't have any differences at all, just messing with ya. :Thumbsup:

Jim

10. fastrack1

fastrack1 New Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Cool! Sweet ride by the way :biggrin5::biggrin5:

11. Xiek

Xiek Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Service Advisor
    Midland
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Very few Accidents, are actually "accidents"

This wrecked CM was not an accident.

like fastrack1 said, he goes fast into mountain side corners, if he wrecks into the wall, that is not an accident, sure it is not a desired outsome of said events, but had you not been pushing the limits, the hypothetical accident would not have happened.

I lost my passport on a turn, I keep it on my visor, took a turn hard, the g-force threw it out my window... ( I retrieved it ) but was that situation avoidable, sure it was, if I would have thought it through.

The posted limit on the Dragon is 30MPH, used to be 40 I believe, and I think it's 35-40MPH all the way down and past Ridge Parkway.

A busy weekend IMO is not the time to push and test your limits.

I ran the Parade last year at 64KM/h, cause that is what my GPS said the conversion was for the speed limit... we passed a LEO and he let us go by, all 150 of us... I actually had no idea I was speeding...

on the way back there were 4 of us, and I was leading, doing 64 again... guess what, he pulled me over and I got a ticket. Because the posted limit had been lowered to 30...

This year I ran the parade at 48KM = 30MPH, I did get up to approaching 64 on some places, where you are correct, 48 just seems so slow, I even commented to my navigator, "does this feel slow cause the MINI can handle more, or cause I know I have driven this road faster?"

either way, it's still breaking the law.

I don't push my limits though, and I don't think anyone has really thought the "paying for my mistakes through". Most people assume that paying means paying the fine. What about paying for the potential loss of life.

2 years ago Zinvestor and I helped rescue a father and son team, that wrecked, one hit a guardrail, one didn't and was down about a 20metre ravine, with a broken colar bone, at the least. The son, had a gash in his leg, some other Miata drivers were already stopped as well. Seeing as it appeared I was the only one that knew first aid. I helped.

They were both driving above their skill level, they had both ditched their bikes previously, and were on bald tires, and I mean BALD tires for I-75 driving, let alone the Dragon.

Was that a true "accident"? There were lots of things that could have been done to avoid it. None were followed.

I pull over and let the crazies pass, as often as I can.

I have some motoring awards for high rate of speed, and when I get them, I accept my punishment, am I happy about it... hell no... but I made my bed, and I am lying in it...

I know, I am all over the map with this post... bottom line.. push your limits at the track, drive well within your limits on public roads.

FYI, if you come to Ontario... don't exceed 50KM over the posted limit... your car just may get crushed... and up to $10,000 fine... Just sayin... (also includes if you are racing with the car next to you at any speed)

12. smurfette26

Nov 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I didnt cry foul nor did I say I follow the rules 100% of the time. I know that is unrealistic. I was just responding to how you felt you were minimizing risks. I just wanted to point out to you that once you are actively wrecking your car, odds are that you will have little to no control over what happens and that those results could easily affect others (which you were allegedly trying to minimize). Just following the natural conclusion to the scenario you laid out for how to correctly aggressively drive the Dragon.

13. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    I think Fastrack1 has a reasonable view of proper behavior on public roads. There are more old ladies here than I thought! :p

Dave

14. smurfette26

Nov 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Well said Jason.

15. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Thank you.

Jim

16. fastrack1

fastrack1 New Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Alright gentleman (assumptions here) I headed to bed. Thanks for the discussion. I love ya all. Even you slow farts. Why?.......because you are Mini's owners and Mini owners are the best. They buck the norm and I like that :biggrin5::biggrin5:

17. Msfitoy

Msfitoy Member

May 16, 2009
    Male
    Automotive/Industrial Designer
    NC
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    I wanna hear from the CM driver...otherwise, this is...:deadhorse::D

18. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    The difference is that those that know how to drive and do it safely drive for fun and are under control.

Those that don't drive slow and cry about everyone else having fun because they are party poopers.

If you did not go to the Dragon, have fun, speed, party (after driving) stay home and shut your pie hole.

Give up already, no cares about your opinions. Ignore me if you want I don't care.

Maybe I will see you next year on Hellbender doing 100 in the straights, hard braking before the turn, rolling through and hammering it again out of a late apex.

Pull over if you want or dont, I really don't care. I don't push people to drive faster than they are comfortable doing. I just pulll over until you have time to get down the road awhile while my brakes cool.

19. fastrack1

fastrack1 New Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Whoops, still awake. Dude, I want to hook up with you next year...........

20. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    ^ Now that is a smart move. :Thumbsup: I find that works well for me too.