Brakes Wheels 1st Gen Tires The first "what tire" thread

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by Mike, May 4, 2009.

1. Mike

Mike New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Well, I will have to buy a new set of tires soon, and I have to say, it's been years since I bought anything besides an R-comp!

So, for an all-weather daily commuting tire, what do you guys prefer? I'd like a tire that handles the weather around here, which means a little rain and a little snow but mostly just dry weather.

edit: thanks for moving this, I saw the "wheels and tires" header and posted without noticing I was in the "sponsors" section.

2. SK8BRD

SK8BRD New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    First R56 guy to post in the R50/R53 thread!

Kumho Ecsta AST 215/40/R17 is what I have, better rain/freezing performance than the stock runflats.

3. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    I don't know what you should get, but I can tell you what not to get. General Exclaim UHP. I was getting really low mileage on all other brands so I thought I would try these out for longevity. I am getting a few extra miles on the set, but I find the sacrifice in handling characteristics was hardly worth it.

4. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Goodyear F1 All-Season are excellent. They have a carbon fiber sidewall - great turn-in and still don't beat you up...I LOVE my set...best A/S I've owned (and that's a LONG list). Snow traction is meh, but hell.....you're in TX! Also, the Bridgestone Potenza 960PP gets top marks as well but I haven't tried them.

a few others to avoid:
    Kumho ASX = cushy and blah.
    Falken 912 = great steering response but traction goes away after 5k

5. Mike

Mike New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Nope, only wish I was in Texas. I am living in the Tehachapi mountains in California, and commuting daily out to the Mojave desert.

6. mninole

mninole Club Coordinator

May 4, 2009
    Photography Teacher
    Panama City, FL
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Tehachapi...I have a friend that lives there (Judy Muell). I grew up down in the valley (Glendora)...but as far as tires, it is hard to beat the BF Goodrich G-Force brand. Great all-weather, wonderful traction, and a good smooth ride at any speed.

7. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    guess it comes down to whether or not you need cold weather duty (temps below 40F) and snow traction

8. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I am outside of Philly and my Yoko S-Drives have treated me well in our mixed NE weather. I also just got back from the Dragon and my S-Drives where great. Even in the 700 miles of rain on the way home. UGH

My old set of Falken 912's,,,,not so much.

9. DixonL2

DixonL2 New Member

May 4, 2009
    Supply Chain Implementation Guy
    A bit north of the 'burgh, PA
    Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    I absolutely LOVE the traction from my Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2's (205/45/17), and in the wet they're fantastic... but they wear fast, and once worn the hydroplaning isn't so much fun (as it wouldn't be on any worn tire). The compound is grippy as anything though, even in the wet. I have maybe 10k of mixed driving (no track days) on this set and they're really getting down there. Driving the Dragon, as well as to-and-from pulling a trailer, didn't help. :-( I'm also looking for something that lasts a little longer but doesn't give up too much. May even go to fattie 16's and all-seasons, saving the michelins and BBS's for track days, fun days, dry days and car shows.

10. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Another big thumbsup for the Goodyear F1 All Seasons. Really hard to believe they are all-seasons, they perform so well. I've run them the last two winters here as my "winter" tires with great results. We get similar weather here, i think. Mostly dry, some rain, very occasional light snow. Only issue is that they are NOT quiet.

I'm running Nitto Neo Gen's as my "summer" tires... but they claim to be all seasons... and for areas with VERY little snow and cold, they are probably fine... they're dead quiet, and stick very well for a low-cost tire... thrashed them mercilessly at a track day and on several Dragon trips with good results.

11. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Used to work making computers run fast!
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    Oh me to

I am in the market for another set of 17s, summer and some track usage (lapping days, 2 or 3 each summer).

I am going to put these on a set of Challenge wheels I managed to snag. Going on my 07 MCSa.

I am looking at the Nitto Neo Gens, Cooper ZPT in 205/45 or 215/45. If budget allows the Michelin PE2s look interesting.

Any thoughts? Whatever I buy I will try to post up a review/commentary.

Don

07 MCSa, tsw springs, ddm cai, and I really need to do a sig and profile pic. :)

12. DixonL2

DixonL2 New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    #12 DixonL2, May 6, 2009
    Last edited: May 7, 2009
    Michelin PE2s are great, they sing a little (kind of a "ronging" sound at speed on some surfaces) but as I said above they're quiet, grippy, good in wet, but wear quickly. I'd check the GY F1GSd's if price is no object, excellent tires. Me? I don't know what I'm replacing these with - depends on the economy & budget.

13. MCSvelocity

MCSvelocity New Member

May 6, 2009
    Alameda (Bay Area) CA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The dunlop direzza z1 star specs are rated great in the wet and dry by tirerack and i heard nothing but good reviews and plus they don't cost much. but for strict street use... i'm pretty happy with bridgestone potenza re760 sports as its not rough nor loud. for street driving they more the smoother and quieter versions of my older re-01's

14. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    My re01s are a great street tire, but a few track days have taken a huge toll on them. Being directional, I think I will have to get them remounted to even out the wear for the next CCW track day.

Every now and then Alex from tire rack informs of a closeout and huge savings on a particular tire. I missed it, but the 215/45-17 version of this tire was going for $94, which is a damn good deal.

The re01s are a little loud though, maybe I will have to try out the 760s next time and get some dedicated wheels for track fun.

15. TheWrks

TheWrks New Member

May 5, 2009
    Farmington MI
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Tire selection is relative to each owner.
    I have TOYO Proxies 4's love them excellent wet and dry traction :smilewinkgrin: I don't like "Goodyear F1" sidewall wigle :skep:

16. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    be sure to comment on which model instead of painting the whole line with a black brush. F1 is a series....multiple models. F1 GS-D3 has cushy sidewalls. F1 All Season and F1 Asymmetric do not. :Thumbsup:

Another example - I hated the Dunlop Direzza's I had.....no grip and squishy turn-in. No, I didn't have the Direzza Z1 Star Specs

17. TheWrks

TheWrks New Member

May 5, 2009
    Farmington MI
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    GY Eagles F1 :smilewinkgrin:

18. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    :lol: that doesn't help! Original Gatorbacks? :eek6:

19. TheWrks

TheWrks New Member

May 5, 2009
    Farmington MI
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Whatever dude :cornut:

20. DixonL2

DixonL2 New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    I believe he was asking if you had the "F1 GS-D3", the "F1 All Season" or the "F1 Asymmetric".

Likely the F1GS-D3 since it's been out the longest. I didn't mind the cushy sidewalls, but was running them in a 215/45/17 on a Mazdaspeed Protege - stock suspension harsher than a R53 sport (yes, really!). Didn't make for imprecise behavior, really, just took an eighth of an eyeblink to take a set, as opposed to a tenth of an eyeblink with RE010's. (This data courtesy of my calibrated butt-ometer, using metric eyeblinks.)