The Grand Tour

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by B.A.D., Nov 17, 2016.

1. B.A.D.

B.A.D. Club Coordinator

Dec 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +934 / 0 / -0
    Just finished watching the second episode and am glad that I already had Prime and didn't buy it specifically to watch this. The start was promising, but the main event was rubbish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. M1N1

M1N1 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Tool and Die Maker
    NW Ohio
    Ratings:
    +330 / 0 / -0
    I don't have Amazon Prime, and I'm certainly not going to subscribe for one show. To be honest, I thought that the whole concept/presentation/etc, of the "Top Gear" format was getting old and past it's prime (forgive the pun). The show could have finished 3 or 4 years before it did.

3. B.A.D.

B.A.D. Club Coordinator

Dec 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +934 / 0 / -0

I totally agree with this. I'm feeling like TGT is the F56 of the trio's career.

4. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,026 / 6 / -5
    I already had Prime and I'm not that interested in watching the new show for the very reasons you brought up. :Thumbsup:

5. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    I also am tired of Clarkson's smug mug, and while I haven't seen this episode yet, I've heard from a friend that it was total crap.

Since I have free access thru another friend, I'll watch it sometime over the weekend.....but no way I would pay for this show.

6. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    I use Prime for shipping and it's been paid off many times over. I'd much rather not have to to talk to or see people when I'm not at work, so shopping online is a godsend.

There are plenty of other shows to watch that are good though. Band of Brothers is on there, as well as a few other things. But yeah, of the streaming services out there, Amazon is the one I watch the least. Barely at all.

And yeah GT#2 was meh. Though that Aston Marton was beautiful to look at.

7. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Haven't got prime & don't plan on getting it. Too bad about TG & now GT. They should have put it to bed after the face punch. Guess it was just too hard to say no to all that money they make.

8. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Some people love it. Most of those who've taken the time to review it on Amazon rated it highly. Nearly 19K reviews (I just checked) and an average of 4.9 out of 5 stars. They also claim an IMDb rating of 9.6 out of 10. I don't get it but there you have it.

9. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    I love prime. I'd do it probably for shipping alone--I've ordered stuff in the morning and gotten it the same afternoon..

Prime has a load of very good documentaries, probably give Goliath a shot too. Wish the ebooks were better represented though.

Liked the first episode--not an all time great, but still good. I agree they were trying too hard in the beginning--it felt scripted (which, for the most part it is; the trick is to make it feel it isn't, and the second half was better than the first). It's definitely not revolutionary, more like TG rebooted, but light years better than the new TG. It's more like slipping on a comfortable pair of old slippers than the latest fashion, and that's fine. It definitely holds more promise than the new TG.

10. caseydog

caseydog Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    #30 caseydog, Nov 25, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
    In comparison, I like what MT Channel does on YouTube (Motor Trend). They review a car, and do some hoonage, and then turn the car over to Randy Pobst, who takes the car on track and talks about what he likes and doesn't like about it while lapping, before doing one best-time lap. The on-screen telemetry graphics on those hot laps is very good, too.

That's what I like -- and what the Stig used to provide (well, minus the commentary) on the old TG airport track.

Hey Clarkson, watch and learn. BTW, turn up the volume really loud!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMRmLDZXRRI"]2010 Ferrari 458 Italia Hot Lap! - 2011 Best Driver's Car Contender - YouTube[/ame]

That engine music, as James May would say, gives me "fizzy" feelings in my man-parts. :Thumbsup:

CD

11. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    When they went into the groundhog day routine, I lost interest and turned off the sound.

We'll see how it is next week......

12. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0

Give Randy Probst/Tire Rack a try; he tests for MT, lighterhearted with a few good observations peppered in.

13. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    I finally watched episode 2 and can't believe I made it all the way to the end...and without fast forwarding even once!

That is a sign of how much of a chance I wanted to give this show...I kept hoping the next minute would bring something funny or at least interesting.

I'm done with it unless/until I hear from others that it improves in later episodes.

14. caseydog

caseydog Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    That's when I turned it off. :frown2:

CD

15. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    Third episode is a bit more classic Top Gear.

The three go on a "cultured" grand tour of Italy, Jeremy in a DB 11, James in a Rolls Royce, and Hammond in a Hellcat.

It was an improvement over episode 2, though there's no bespoke car review, which means no trip to the new track. And while there is drifting of the Hellcat, it is redeemed by a proper timed lap.

Jeremy does showcase an invention. And the last ten minutes are something of a miss.

16. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    It might just be me, but I am really tired of seeing the same exotic and lux cars being slid sideways around on the road and track....and the same cars over and over. Aston Martin, Porsche, Benz, the occasional VW group product.....

What about the new luxury brands for Hyundai and Kia? Aren't those worthy of a comparo to the established brands like Jaguar, Audi and Benz?

The show has really lost it's mojo to me, I know they're set up for 3 seasons of 12 shows but if they can't come up with anything more original than this I don't see it going the full run.

17. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, as much as I like a good DB11, I've seen a lot of them.

I think they're stuck in a rut, and I don't know if it's the producers not giving them anything really interesting to drive, or the fact that they think a formula is all they need, but so far it seems like they really should shake things up.

As much as I wasn't a huge fan of the New New Top Gear hosts, I think I'm looking forward to their new season more than I am watching the rest of Old Top Grand Gear Tour.

Also - seasons 1-17 of old Top Gear are on Amazon.

18. B.A.D.

B.A.D. Club Coordinator

Dec 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +934 / 0 / -0
    Ep 3 has been my favorite so far (which isn't that much of a challenge at this point).

19. drabdub

drabdub Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Logistics Lead
    San Jose, CA
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    episode 3 has been my favorite so far. I thought episode 2 was lacking and pointless.

though episode 3 just kinda ended without finishing I think

20. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    I'll second or third episode 3. Classic Top Gear.