The great old car thread

Discussion in 'Other Vehicles' started by MCS02, Jul 11, 2021.

1. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    #1 MCS02, Jul 11, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2021
    Yesterday I went on a rally with the British car club. A Spitfire went by me when my wife and I were walking back to my car. As it went by the sound and smell was great. Then today I read a post that @Crashton and @00Mini and I had hijacked (until @wmwny told us get to back on subject:D) we had got off topic with old cars.
    So I thought I would start this Thread.

This is the place to come talk about those old cars we love. Cars that had great, and sometimes not so great, personality’s. They ran carbs and had chokes to get them started. When they ran right……man nothing was better, the sound, the smell, the feel. But they were fickle lovers. At the drop of a hat they could strand you and not run till you used enough profanity to embarrass a sailor!
    Don’t get me wrong, new cars are great but getting a pair of Webber’s in sink and singing the same tune is just more gratifying then plugging into the OBDII port. Or maybe I’m just an old fart.:D

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Loved all my LBC cars, LBC = Little Brit Car. A nice Sunday drive often turned into a roadside tech session. I was always able to get them running & never once had to resort to a tow.

Modern cars are great, but every one of them lacks soul. And if they stop roadside, unless it is a flat tire or out of gas you ain't fixing it. My MINI's & GTI have all seen the back of a flatbed.:Dead: My LBC's never. :p

Heck man I remember those LBC's when they were new cars. o_O

One more thing, I'd rather push an MG than drive a Triumph. ;)

[​IMG]

3. minirab

minirab Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    Hagerstown, Md.
    Ratings:
    +851 / 0 / -0
    67 Lotus Elan coupe, RHD with dog killer wheels. Loved it but kind of like an ex girlfriend you just want to be done with.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    Ah yes, Triumph Spitfire's infamous tuck and roll rear suspension.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    I’ve always been an Italian car guy. Only fitting my Dad was Italian and a true gear head. I had American cars till I got in collage and sold my mustang for a X1/9. Man what a great car. Fiat really didn’t deserve the bad name. I work for an Italian car shop for a while. People that took care of them never had trouble. I have plenty of stories of people that took there car to a gas station or shop that said they work on foreign cars. Most of the time they were towed to us to undo what they had done. One gas station re-wired a Spider because they thought the electric fan should run all the time, what a mess.
    The X1/9 was a great autocross car. I later got an Alfa Spider. I put 10:1 pistons in it and some 300 deg cams, had everything balanced then ripped off the fuel infection and put duel Webber’s on it. It was quick and made a great sound!
    Chuck is right if they broke you could fix them on the side of the road with some hand tools.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List