The Gun Thread

Discussion in 'Politics and other "Messy" Stuff' started by MCS02, Aug 15, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, well I have a bunch of first place placards and wins with my Glocks. Hell, I took high over all today at the action steel match in Copperas Cove that was even over guys with legit 2011 Open Guns.

I compete with and carry Glocks. I don't actually like the single stack 9mm/.380 guns though. Too small for my hands. I either carry my G19 or G26 depending on attire.

That looks like some cool machining and stippling from those guys at Heads Down.

2. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Used to work making computers run fast!
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    Carry the 380 Colt, cross draw or pocket or on the seat. Shoot the CZ, etc...etc... at the range. Bulls-eye shoot the Buckmark and Victory 22LRs, not very well, but fun. :)

Need to go shoot this week after my eye appointment, I am good now with distance, so reddot or reflex sights are good, iron sites not much since I cannot refine close at all :)

I will post a target next time around.

RB, is anyone getting video of you shooting? Post it, would be interesting to see a match.

Don

3. vetsvette

vetsvette MINI Alliance Ambassador

Nov 9, 2013
    South Central Virginia
    Ratings:
    +1,937 / 0 / -0
    Congratulations on the Steel Match. That is outstanding, and from reading your posts, you finish well on a regular basis. I'm jealous. I haven't done any competitive shooting since I dabbled in IHMSA many moons ago. I'd need a forklift to get into and out of the Creedmore position these days. Don't have enough use of my left arm for any other competition. My EDC before arm surgery was the Kimber custom and I would still carry it if I could rack the slide. I went with the G43 for ease of operation and I can carry it OWB since I can't tuck my shirts any more. The price through Glock's Blue Label program helped with the decision too. My favorite double stack pistol is the XD45. 13 rounds ( I have a couple of 18 round mags) of .45ACP goodness that sits next to my bed. I keep one in the chamber so I don't need to worry about racking it. The last pistol is the favorite of my 1911s. An early Colt Ace Conversion 22LR. Sorry to be so long winded, but my old shooting buddies are becoming scarce and I don't often get a chance to talk guns. I'll post pictures and impressions after I get the work done on the G43.

Attached Files:

4. Redbeard

Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    #724 Redbeard, Sep 24, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    I don't normally take videos. A buddy of mine has been taking them at the falling steel matches (ProAm style steel). So here is a couple.

Iron Sighted Glock 34:
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_RYAkRg78w"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_RYAkRg78w[/ame]

Reflex Sighted Glock 34 MOS:
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJAJ4P4i4VQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJAJ4P4i4VQ[/ame]

Cert from todays match:
    [​IMG]

5. vetsvette

Nov 9, 2013
    South Central Virginia
    Ratings:
    +1,937 / 0 / -0
    Very nice runs. I see why you won today. :Thumbsup:

6. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    Very nice videos, like the pistol selection pictures too. :)

Don

7. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    Bought a Lady Smith 38 Special for the better half last week. I can finally get back my LCR.

8. vetsvette

Nov 9, 2013
    South Central Virginia
    Ratings:
    +1,937 / 0 / -0
    My 10 year old Grandson shot this fat little buck at dusk yesterday. Heart shot at 100 yards with his .243. Had to wait until this morning to have enough light to find him. Yesterday was Youth Day. Kids under 16 get a week jump on the regular season and can use bow, rifle, or shotgun. Bow season starts next week. He can handle his Mathews set at 40 pounds now so it'll be his first year bow hunting. Getting an early start filling the freezer this year. Yep. I'm a proud Papa!

Attached Files:

9. cooperjet

cooperjet Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Pensacola, FL
    Ratings:
    +197 / 0 / -0
  10. Goldsmithy

Goldsmithy MINI Alliance Ambassador
    Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Male
    TCB
    Main Street in the land of Oz
    Ratings:
    +1,151 / 0 / -0
    The antler on the buck look straight enough for a knife handle. It would be great and a lasting memory to have a knife made using that as the handle material. If you need help finding a good knife maker, let me know...

11. Redbeard

Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Awesome. Glad you are getting a jump on the season.

That reminds me. I need to get my hunting license. I need to snag another deer this year.

12. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    Quiet area.

Last Thursday I managed to get out a shoot, 2nd time in about 5 months due to the eye surgeries. Still shooting left but no glasses need, just my Smith's protection.

Not a bad day 30 feet and 25 feet with the 22lr Browning with red-dot and the CZ 75 with iron sights, I did try one hand shooting and both eyes open shooting, worked out well.

Now I will try to get over at least 2 times a month or maybe one time per week after things settle for the Holidays.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let me know if images do not show.

13. Redbeard

Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    It has been quiet. Here I am shooting a couple stages from the USPSA match in Temple yesterday.

Stage 1: Worst stage of the day. Biffed my stage plan and had to improvise.
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgWjTZFp0LI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgWjTZFp0LI[/ame]

Stage 4: Better stage. Unloaded start but a hoser stage.
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW_uJRy1A5E"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW_uJRy1A5E[/ame]

14. vetsvette

Nov 9, 2013
    South Central Virginia
    Ratings:
    +1,937 / 0 / -0
    My Grandson struck again late this afternoon.

Attached Files:

15. Redbeard

Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    :Thumbsup: Nice work!

I am jealous. My normal spot for deer has been barren. One young buck (too young to take) and a few young does. I may have to go a year without deer in the freezer.

16. Sully

Sully Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Ok boys... my buddy just brought me back into guns (had a lot 20 years ago..). He sent me some “Black Friday†deals for us to build at the family renunion (he married my wife’s cousin... yea we are from the south).. its like opening up a can of worms. I like to tune things. I already ordered another lower (PA10) for some longer range.. and a carry short term carry (LCP). Will add some pics when I get back in town. This could get fun once I get done with this migration.. :D

17. Sully

Sully Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    OK - I’ll have to look at this again.. been awhile since I did a comp.. but this looked pretty nice. Clean shooting, change of mag etc. What was the issue?

18. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    Therapy.

Made it to the range on a Monday morning, it was fun and not to crowded, my local indoor range.

Took both 9mm to send some rounds downrange for therapy. Did ok with the Beretta Storm and the CZ SP-01 continues to amaze and please, my favorite shooter.

Target after a good session. The CZ is on the main part of the target, along the bottom is the plinking with the Storm.

[​IMG]

19. Goldsmithy

Goldsmithy MINI Alliance Ambassador
    Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Male
    TCB
    Main Street in the land of Oz
    Ratings:
    +1,151 / 0 / -0
  20. Redbeard

Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Nice. My Dad just picked one up a few months ago in .30 Luger. I'm excited to try it when I visit for Christmas. Good luck with the sale.

I had an CZ SP-01 Shadow that was worked over by CZ custom. Amazing pistol. I couldn't run it well enough at matches to do it justice though. Have you seen the Shadow 2?

1st stage:
    - Second target I broke the shot early and got a delta. Hence, three shots.
    - Stop right after that. I should have been moving for all three targets. I gave up 2'ish seconds stopping.
    - The stop screwed with my head and I screwed up my stage plan after that. I should have run up planted, shot the two paper left to right, Texas Star, paper by the barrel. Moved to the far right of the shooting area then cleaned the paper and one popper from right to left. Instead I shot stuff out of order, hesiststed, and gave up another 3'ish seconds.

2nd stage:
    - The stage is an unloaded start. My initial load from the belt was slow. Lost a second.
    - I moved too slowly and waited too long to start shooting at the second array. Easy 2 seconds lost.
    - Moving reload was full retard. Watch my gun hand fly up in the air for no reason. Slowed my reload and first shots on target. 1- 2 seconds lost.
    - Bad stage plan for the last four targets. I shoud have started on the outside two targets on the right then finished in the port. 3-4 seconds lost.